Any Wilco fans out there?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Though I've had a copy of "AM" for years, it's more the Alt Country Rock of the band Wilco sprung from, Uncle Tupelo, than the odd, almost avant-garde band they've evolved into. I've just discovered that band in the last couple of years. Listening to their latest The Whole Love right now. What an interesting band.

Tim

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Tim: I love your signature "In high-end audio, you can't even fight an opinion with the facts" It can be re-stated as "don't confuse me with the facts"

This forum is the only place in the Universe where the irrefutable laws of physics have been been temporarily suspended.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This forum is the only place in the Universe where the irrefutable laws of physics have been been temporarily suspended

You don't have to be quite so dogmatic :) as I can point you in the direction of many others

BTW Tim, I have all of Wilco's albums

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
You don't have to be quite so dogmatic :) as I can point you in the direction of many others

BTW Tim, I have all of Wilco's albums

You're way ahead of me then. I have AM....then a long gap to sky blue sky. And a lot of filling in to do!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Tim: I love your signature "In high-end audio, you can't even fight an opinion with the facts" It can be re-stated as "don't confuse me with the facts"

This forum is the only place in the Universe where the irrefutable laws of physics have been been temporarily suspended.

In high-end audio, there are more opinions than facts because we don't have enough real facts to make intelligent decisions based on facts alone. Some people's "facts" are just conjecture. You actually have to listen in order to fill in the big blanks that facts don't cover when it comes to determining how something sounds. Saying it isn't so doesn't make it true.

And another thing is that some people confuse specifcations with measurements because there are more specification sheets than there are measurements that are made public. A specification sheet is nothing more than an unverified list of design goals until proven otherwise. People assume the specifications listed are based on actual measurements, but it really is an assumption that has no factual basis for those that like facts.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
In high-end audio, there are more opinions than facts because we don't have enough real facts to make intelligent decisions based on facts alone. Some people's "facts" are just conjecture. You actually have to listen in order to fill in the big blanks that facts don't cover when it comes to determining how something sounds. Saying it isn't so doesn't make it true.

And another thing is that some people confuse specifcations with measurements because there are more specification sheets than there are measurements that are made public. A specification sheet is nothing more than an unverified list of design goals until proven otherwise. People assume the specifications listed are based on actual measurements, but it really is an assumption that has no factual basis for those that like facts.

I'm glad to see you're enjoying your new platform, Mark, and it's a good one, to a point. But the thing is, we really don't need a full set of comprehensive measurements on every component in the audiophile world to understand some very basic things like....components/media/technologies with a markedly higher SNR can't really have better dynamic range than the components/media/technologies with markedly lower SNR. The difference may or may not be audible and yes, we should use our ears, but claiming the noisier one is better is nonsense. And we can't really say that components/media/technologies with higher levels of distortion are more "natural" than components/media/technologies with much lower levels of distortion, without totally re-defining "natural" to suit our purposes. Use your ears. Prefer the harmonic swell; but it ain't more "natural" in a system whose entire reality is the signal from the recording. And of course components/media/technologies with poorer channel separation can't really have better stereo imaging than components/media/technologies with better channel separation (though they might have a bigger "soundstage," because the definition of that term is variable anyway).

Yet all of these things are said directly and inferred in a thousand (often condescending) ways in the audiophile community every day.

Your new argument is an effective one for countering the claim that if it can be heard, it can be measured. You're right; that doesn't really matter much if it hasn't been measured. But it really isn't a sufficient position from which to defend the substitution for reality of the highly imaginative claims that are the daily diet of the high-end audiophile fringe. All of the components haven't been measured, of course. But the media and technologies have been. And if someone comes along and says his SET amp has better bass and dynamic range than your new Krell, we really don't need comprehensive measurements of all the components in both of the systems to understand that he's whistling in the dark, now do we?

You know exactly what I'm talking about. You see it too. You just see less of it than I do. Which of us sees the right amount? We'll probably never know.

Tim

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Not really. The laws of physics are never suspended. But our understanding and application of them leave a lot to be desired. All to often we confuse our opinions with fact. We are for the most part amateurs. The experts tell us something is perfect. Our ears disgree. Trial and error often yield better results. We struggle with our limited knowledge. We wonder why with all our effort our sytems fall short of our goal.

I hope that's not to OTC.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I'm glad to see you're enjoying your new platform, Mark, and it's a good one, to a point. But the thing is, we really don't need a full set of comprehensive measurements on every component in the audiophile world to understand some very basic things like....components/media/technologies with a markedly higher SNR can't really have better dynamic range than the components/media/technologies with markedly lower SNR.

Tim-Your now switching this to an analog vs. digital debate and my argument about measurements applies equally to both and nothing I said in this thread came remotely close to talking about analog being superior to digital or vice-versa.

The difference may or may not be audible and yes, we should use our ears, but claiming the noisier one is better is nonsense.

Again, I didn’t make the above statement in this thread. However, having the lowest noise possible is always an admirable design goal. I wouldn’t take the giant leap of faith (and no, it’s not a fact) that just because a piece of gear has lower noise doesn’t necessarily make it the better sounding component. It just simply means it has lower noise and noise is just one of many parameters that shape how something sounds, not the only parameter. I would gladly take every professionally made 15 ips 2 track over its digital cousin in whatever digital format it was recorded in because very slight tape hiss and all, I think they sound better. And ironically, I would also take the tape over the LP version because the tape will be lower in noise than the LP. See, I do like low noise, but the noise from a 15 ips 2 track tape is very low and the sonic benefits from tape outweigh less noise from digital (for my ears) assuming the digital music wasn’t sourced from an analog tape to begin with because the noise will still be there.
And we can't really say that components/media/technologies with higher levels of distortion are more "natural" than components/media/technologies with much lower levels of distortion, without totally re-defining "natural" to suit our purposes.
Tim-Define higher levels of distortion please. How much higher does distortion have to be before you can even hear it? Are we talking about single-ended triode amp sort of distortion vs. ultra-pure SS distortion? I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that modern day tube and transistor gear with the exception of single-ended tube amps both have distortion so low in any of the parameters that are measured (when they really are measured) that the distortion won’t be heard.
Use your ears. Prefer the harmonic swell; but it ain't more "natural" in a system whose entire reality is the signal from the recording. And of course components/media/technologies with poorer channel separation can't really have better stereo imaging than components/media/technologies with better channel separation (though they might have a bigger "soundstage," because the definition of that term is variable anyway).
Is there a measurement for “harmonic swell?” I don’t think there is. There is a measurement for harmonic distortion though. So if someone has a piece of gear that measures harmonic distortion low enough that it’s not audible and yet their sound isn’t thin sounding like some other gear that looks great on a test bench, who’s to say that’s wrong? Channel separation is another boogie man. At what point on the measurement scale is channel separation good enough and anything over that value become meaningless? In my entire adult life, I have never once listened to a single component and said to myself, “Gee, I wish I had more channel separation.”

Your new argument is an effective one for countering the claim that if it can be heard, it can be measured. You're right; that doesn't really matter much if it hasn't been measured. But it really isn't a sufficient position from which to defend the substitution for reality of the highly imaginative claims that are the daily diet of the high-end audiophile fringe. All of the components haven't been measured, of course. But the media and technologies have been. And if someone comes along and says his SET amp has better bass and dynamic range than your new Krell, we really don't need comprehensive measurements of all the components in both of the systems to understand that he's whistling in the dark, now do we?

Tim-you last example is an extreme example that fell far outside of the window of the points I was trying to make. I would rather discuss different components whose measurements are beyond reproach and discuss why they sound different from each other.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim-Your now switching this to an analog vs. digital debate and my argument about measurements applies equally to both and nothing I said in this thread came remotely close to talking about analog being superior to digital or vice-versa.

I don't mean to; I don't even want to go there again. But this is at the heart of why measurements make it into these conversations, Mark. None of us, not the most extreme objectivists in the hobby listen to charts or really care about measurements that fall below the audible threshold. So why do we bring it up? Because some audiophile out there is always trying to tell us that his preferences are superior, and the dividing line is almost always along that fault between analog and digital, between tubes and solid state. Am I off topic? It's the center of the argument nonetheless. Do you think we keep telling the analog/tube guys everything can be measured just to make that pedantic point? Nah. We keep telling them that it can be measured because we keep being told that their preferences are superior to ours, in spite of the fact that the numbers are on our side. To further the point, do you think we decided that solid state and digital is better than tubes and vinyl by looking at the numbers? How absurd. It's what we hear. We only point to the numbers because the analog crowd keeps telling us we're wrong, that we haven't listened, that we don't get it, and the numbers are on our side.

Really, I'd be happy to never again say that vinyl cannot have higher SNR and better dynamic range, that those two things are in direct conflict with each other. I'd be pleased to just say I prefer what I hear in really good digital/SS, they prefer what they hear in really good analog/tubes, isn't it great that everybody has found what they like? I've tried.

But yeah, I understand that the analog/digital, SS/tube thing is slightly off your topic. But nobody cares if everything has been measured. Enough has been measured, and the only reason your topic exists is, in spite of all the measurements we do have, we still have preference strutting around declaring its superiority. It's annoying as hell, and so we say "show me," you make an elaborate point that misses the point, and I go off-topic. My apologies.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Not sure if I'll be a fan of Wilco. I have their Wilco (the album) LP still sealed. Come to think of it I have a lot of stuff still sealed....oops a bit OT there.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Though I've had a copy of "AM" for years, it's more the Alt Country Rock of the band Wilco sprung from, Uncle Tupelo, than the odd, almost avant-garde band they've evolved into. I've just discovered that band in the last couple of years. Listening to their latest The Whole Love right now. What an interesting band.

Tim

now that you discoverd wilco and jeff tweedy in particular, his collaborations are worth a listen too which include the on again off again Golden Smog with co-collaborators Gary Louris of The Jayhawks and Dan Murphy of Soul Asylum. Id start with the album "Weird Tales"

My favorite wilco albums: being there and summerteeth

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Really, I'd be happy to never again say that vinyl cannot have higher SNR and better dynamic range, that those two things are in direct conflict with each other. I'd be pleased to just say I prefer what I hear in really good digital/SS, they prefer what they hear in really good analog/tubes, isn't it great that everybody has found what they like? I've tried.

I don’t know any diehard vinyl lover that has ever said that vinyl has a higher SNR than digital does. However, the argument about how much better the dynamic range of CD is only holds true for its theoretical ability. The reality is most of today’s music is heavily compressed and we aren’t using a fraction of the dynamic range capability of the digital technology. So it might be fun to stand on a soap box and proclaim the dynamic range of digital is far superior to analog, but the reality of the compressed music being recorded today has to be taken into account and temper the chest beating. I don’t know anyone who owns a top notch vinyl rig and/or tape rig who also owns a top notch digital rig who thinks that digital is smoking the dynamic range of analog. Actually, I think the reverse is true. You have to be able to separate capability from reality. We aren’t coming close to exercising the full dynamic range of digital in today’s recordings and the dynamic range of analog is fully capable of exceeding what is being laid down today.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
...we still have preference strutting around declaring its superiority

The fact that it is inaccurate notwithstanding why don't you use your super moderator status to make it a STICKY. That way you want have to stick it in every thread as your fall back position on every issue.:D

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The fact that it is inaccurate notwithstanding why don't you use your super moderator status to make it a STICKY. That way you want have to stick it in every thread as your fall back position on every issue.:D

Maybe I'll just make a sticky I keep adding to every time someone makes a statement like it, so when one of you goes into denial I can just point. Are you seriously saying that the analog crowd here, and all over the net doesn't present it as superior to digital? Are you reading the forum? Let me see how far I have to go....

I don’t know anyone who owns a top notch vinyl rig and/or tape rig who also owns a top notch digital rig who thinks that digital is smoking the dynamic range of analog. Actually, I think the reverse is true.

And, Mark, compressed pop records notwithstanding, there's nothing theoretical about digital's dynamic range.

Tim

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Not sure if I'll be a fan of Wilco. I have their Wilco (the album) LP still sealed. Come to think of it I have a lot of stuff still sealed....oops a bit OT there.

Now that's funny John :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Maybe I'll just make a sticky I keep adding to every time someone makes a statement like it, so when one of you goes into denial I can just point. Are you seriously saying that the analog crowd here, and all over the net doesn't present it as superior to digital? Are you reading the forum? Let me see how far I have to go....

That is probably a good idea to make both sides a Sticky. It is different to argue that vinyl or digital is superior as an absolute, rather than as a preference. The latter leaves nothing to debate.

It goes without saying you can indulge your preference. Who else would you try to please?

Just what are going into denial about?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
That is probably a good idea to make both sides a Sticky. It is different to argue that vinyl or digital is superior as an absolute, rather than as a preference. The latter leaves nothing to debate.

It goes without saying you can indulge your preference. Who else would you try to please?

Just what are going into denial about?

Denial that there is a consistent positioning of analog as superior, not a preference. It not only happens, it's a consistent, predictable pattern. But I don't actually think a sticky is a particularly good idea. The same members would end up there over and over again, and it would end up being a personal criticism, even if it didn't start out that way.

Tim

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Denial that there is a consistent positioning of analog as superior, not a preference. It not only happens, it's a consistent, predictable pattern. But I don't actually think a sticky is a particularly good idea. The same members would end up there over and over again, and it would end up being a personal criticism, even if it didn't start out that way.

Tim

Yes many have taken the position that analog at its best is better than digital at its best. They seemingly miss few opportunities to point that out. It is exactly my point. That is stated as an absolute. Your continued characterization of it as a mere preference is dismissive and an incorrect statement of the position.

Saying I like or prefer analog over digital is a statement of preference. So if Myles says I like analog tape best, that is a matter of preference. If he says analog tape is best, that is an absolute to be argued against, if you disagree. Or even to require additional information if you are unpersuaded.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing