Graham Phantom II Supreme

terlino

Apr 7, 2013
Hello
This morning I have installed my Graham Phantom Supreme II on my Michell Orbe with SME arm mount
I have many problem for initial alignment procedure
Impossible turn the arm to spindle, the counterweight touch the VTA adjustment

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi terlino,

you should be able to gently rotate the main tower independent of the tone arm position clockwise so the counter weight won't hit the vta adjustment.

Please post some pictures so we can help better.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
You need to Loosen the VTA lock screw and rotate the arm rest assembly until it touches the side of the record platter. Once that is done, you can do your pivot to spindle distance with the spindle cup

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Uh oh. Is that a Michell Orbe? You might need a new armboard from Michell. That or redrill yours. Michell oriented the SME mount at a different geometry from SME's own tables. :(

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
I agree with jack.Apart from hitting the vta adjustment it looks like the tone arm is too far away from spindle cup to line up with the hole!! I just fitted the same arm to a Clearaudio Innovation .When the counterweight touch the VTA adjustment I extended the counterweight as far out as I could and it just fitted in the spindle cup.I then re adjusted the counterweight when I fitted the cart.
B.T.Y It sure is a rock steady sweet tone arm.:)

terlino

Apr 7, 2013
With Orbe the extended counterweight at the end not solves anything
Only an armboard with correct hole for Phantom solves!
This is incredible, because Bob Graham not firm the basis correct for SME?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Bob designed the 2.2 and the Phantom on SME tables. I know two people that have Grahams on SME 20s. No problems. Same with phantoms with SME mounts on Oracle Delphis or VPIs. I believe the problem is with Michell's template before 2008 or 2009. They were supposed to have fixed it after that according to some folks in another forum but I don't know for sure.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's good news indeed! :D

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
Thanks gents. There is indeed no special/limited version of the Elite.

I have since taken delivery of the 10" Elite, and while awaiting my Air Force One, I mounted the Elite on my Micro 8000-II. Very happy indeed!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing