Graham Phantom II Supreme

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Indeed, I am the first time to install Graham arm.
Dear Christian

Normally I used Walter E. Schoen alignment template for cartridge & arm installation for my previous arms; Roksan & Nottingham's arm.
That's why I am looking for the spec of Graham.
It seems there is some kind of white plastic cap for spindle for installation. Unfortunately my purchased one without this tool.
I will be sincerely appreciate if can provide me the easier solution or spec for my arm.
By the way, my turntable is Nottingham Interpsace HD (surely I am also looking for suitable table for upgrade), Phantom II (SME mounting bottom)

Tommy

Short of contacting Graham Engineering for this info you could contact the distributor,
Musical Surroungs:http://www.musicalsurroundings.com/contact.html

They can get you the spindle cup so you can get the right pivot to spindle distance. You may also want the cart alignment jig to install your cart off table (easier) They may also have the mounting specs as they have to use them for different mounting boards on turntables.

From the manual: Phantom B-44 Specs

Effective Length (Standard model) 235mm
(Long version) 247mm
Offset Angle (Standard) 23.431 degrees
(Long) 22.230 degrees
Overhang (Standard) 17.6mm
(Long) 16.7mm
Tonearm Weight: 1100 grams
Cart Weight Range: 5-19 grams

That's it for the specs. When my girlfriend get's back, I can scan the entire manual into pdf format and email it to you if you like. Just PM me your email address.

Best Regards,

Chris

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
The Supreme is indeed a very interesting Arm. Interesting, because it is one of those super rare Arm Designs today, which sounds and tracks right. No matter what record is spinning, the inner tracks have no distortions and the tonal truth (when your System is up to that task) is very impressive ... A Product to close a Chapter.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Can anyone explain the pivot mechanism to me, like are there any bearings between the armwand and tonearm base?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
There is one bearing...hence unipivot. The arm looks like it leans inward compared to a gimballed bearing type arm. IMO, unipivot tracks a records far better than a gimbal style. With the Graham, there is no audible distortion on the inner grooves nor do you lose the presence of the music...ie: a duller sound on the last of the grooves. The VTA Bubble level is indispensible.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I see, I guess I was not considering a spike/dome a bearing, I was wondering if there was any horizontal stabilization. I am thinking about adding a Supreme II to my next table.

Does it still utilize swappable armwands like the 2.2?

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
The Graham Phantom I used to own sounded better with the main post lock down screw left loose. We found this by accident , forgot to tighten after VTA adjustments.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The Graham Phantom I used to own sounded better with the main post lock down screw left loose. We found this by accident , forgot to tighten after VTA adjustments.

I had been using with the screw loose for months and only recently started to tighten it again by leaving the allen key on the screw. I'm not sure I can hear a difference on the supreme. I have also been playing with the amount of damping fluid removing more as of today than is recommended as a starting point.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I had been using with the screw loose for months and only recently started to tighten it again by leaving the allen key on the screw. I'm not sure I can hear a difference on the supreme. I have also been playing with the amount of damping fluid removing more as of today than is recommended as a starting point.

Christian-All I know is that the Graham arm sounded incredible on your table when I heard it last year at RMAF.

etunes

Jan 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
Anybody ever mount this arm on a SME 20/2 or 20/3 and if so would you please share your experience?

Thx

terlino

Apr 7, 2013
Hello
I have a Graham Phantom II Supreme 9" and I don't know the effective mass
What is?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Been in contact with Bob and I will upgrade my original Phantom to Supreme status as well as getting the new alignment guage.

Hopefully a good upgrade that my ATLAS will appreciate :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Been in contact with Bob and I will upgrade my original Phantom to Supreme status as well as getting the new alignment guage.

Hopefully a good upgrade that my ATLAS will appreciate :)

That sounds like an awesome update!

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Out of interest, what lengths are these arms available in?

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Thank you Christian..

Young Skywalker

Apr 30, 2012
The 9" version of the Graham Phantom (all variants) is the only one with the correct offset angle.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The 9" version of the Graham Phantom (all variants) is the only one with the correct offset angle.

That is incorrect. For the Supreme, both 10 & 12 inch lengths have the correct offset angle. My cart aligns with the slots perfectly on the 10". The older pre supreme oval shaped heads perhaps were not adjusted and the cart needed to be twisted.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

I've read that the issue has now been corrected with the longer Supreme arm wands. Don't know if the regular Phantoms have been corrected yet. Apparently those, and/or early Supremes, were simply longer armwands with no change in headshell angle. Early versions went out with the wrong geometry according to some owners and the cartridge had to be radically twisted in the headshell to be properly aligned. I think Christian confirmed this with the distributor and now the geometry is correct in at least the longer Supremes.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing