Best Action Scenes on Blu-Ray

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Although I wouldn't consider it a reference disc, all the relentless depth charge stuff in 'Das Boot' is a lot of fun.

One of my all time favorite action movies is the HK 'Full Contact' w/a young Chow Yun Fat. Great attitude to the storytelling, great fight and action scenes, most in medium and long shots so the actors really have to move well and the choreography must be spot on. It's semi-companion piece 'Full Alert' is also worth seeking out, a first-rate policier, marked by a particularly dogged cop and interesting villain. The director of these, Ringo Lam, made 'City on Fire', which was Tarantino's inspiration for 'Resevoir Dogs'.

Also worth checking out is the HK 'Infernal Affairs', better than its remake 'The Departed'.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
From Paris with Love, staring John Travolta is a fun, quick action flick.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---------------

* The real action here is the Music in tandem with the moving pictures! ...Simply AWESOME! :cool:
I'm talkin' 'bout 'Tron Legacy' here! ...And in 3D is very cool IMHO.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Good call...yes, the bass is highly "charged" in this film. You can really feel it throughout the film. Very cool.

BTW, not that it is up to the same level of 'sound effects', but someone told me that Star Trek: Next Generation episodes (the one with 'Jean Luc Picard'/Patrick Stewart)...have a 20hz signal embedded in them to represent the hum of the Starship Enterprise and this hum is ALWAYS present when you are watching scenes involving the interior of the ship. I think they are right, but have never bothered to check it out.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The 'plane crash' scene from "Flight of the Phoenix" (2004), has some pretty low bass extension that is rarely seldom inserted in movie soundtracks!

* John Moore (the director), in the audio commentary track, mentioned this.

Powerful stuff indeed!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Also, the 'car/truck crashes in the tunnel' scene from the movie "Daylight", with Sylvester Stallone, is an all around sound assault that lasts quite a long time at about two minutes plus!

* Proceed with extreme care on that one!
Because if you listen to this scene at Reference Level, you can perhaps notice (hear and much more...) things that you normally don't!
{My amp automatically shut down once!}

Would you like to know other movies (Blu-rays), with life threatening Bass? :D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Always, on Blu-rays!

"The Incredible Hulk" with Edward Norton and Tim Roth.

=> The 'two immobilizer cannons' scene at the college campus ground! ...Roughly 45 minutes or so into the movie.
That should give your subwoofers a real nice workout! :)

BUT, make sure you listen to that scene at Reference Level though!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
So far no mention of a certain B-Movie named Equilibrium. Some of the best gun fight choreography I've ever seen.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
In the 3rd Lord of the Rings, when the daughter of the King fights the winged dragon thing, that entire scene is filled with some pretty sensational bass, tight but very deep.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Some of the battle scenes in Master and Commander will give your sound system a great work-out.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Has anyone commented yet about the gun scenes at the end of Open Range starring Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner. The sound alone of the big shot gun going off will shake any room in the house.

Good one Stevie! :)
...But you are probably referring to the 2-disc Collector's Edition on DVD though.

-> I am still waiting for my Blu version by Disney here in America (Canada).
{It has been released already on Blu-ray over in Europe; France, Norway, Sweden, and Germany.}

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
For Gun Shots, we use Book of Eli. It is also visually stunning for a big screen presentation. Open range is the standard in that area but it is so over used at shows that we tried to differentiate by using Book of Eli :).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
For Gun Shots, we use Book of Eli. It is also visually stunning for a big screen presentation. Open range is the standard in that area but it is so over used at shows that we tried to differentiate by using Book of Eli :).

Good point Amir. Where in Book Of Eli are you referring

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Good point Amir. Where in Book Of Eli are you referring
There are two scenes. One is the one where they are in the old people's run down house in the middle of nowhere and they get shot to pieces.

The other, is the scene where they are trying to kill him while he calmly walks away from them and the shots just nick him. Then he turns around and fires back. What I like about this is the little cry of children and such before the highly dynamic gun shuts. You need to have the volume high enough to hear that yet have the system have the dynamic range to reproduce the gunshots without getting distorted.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Anyone with an answer?

Isn't funny that most best Action Scenes with lots of great noise are usually violent ones? :D

-> When was last time you've watched a peaceful & serene action scene, and very active? ;) :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
fair point...the only ones that come to mind, [i think] are:

Lord of the Rings (I): waterfall scenes in Elvin Kingdom and one other (cannot remember)...pretty cool with large waves of deep powerful bass that give u a real sense of presence during those scenes

StarTrek: (when Kirk/McCoy/Spock are young cadets)...whenever the Starship Enterprise moves into warp speed...Smokes! Be careful when they warp...pretty bloody loud! its actually super-cool on the big Wilsons with a properly set up Velodyne...extreme punch and super loud. i think there is a lot of low bass information...but the snap of the bass is so powerful, i think the real test is its ability to scare you when it warps.

T2: In the opening scene of T2, i read that one of the robots steps on/crushes a skull, and in a proper system, the skull crush is absolutely shocking and should be scary. I have not played it in my current system...in my old system, i used to get lots of bass, but not necessarily one that makes me jump (like the Warp Speed)...maybe i was expecting it, or maybe my system then did not have sufficient punch/slam. (the reference system used in the review that noted the skull scene was Mark Levinson's all-Cello system.)

Harry Potter (movie 3...Azkaban?): There is a scene on the Hogwarts trains where Harry meets one of those hooded things for the first time...right after, he looks into the train window...there is a fade out to the next scene...during that fade out, the storm thunder and the bass drums while the carriages are rumbling along...combine to create a good test of how CLEAR the sub-bass is (not necessarily how strong/powerful). I used this scene to help blend my Velodyne movie pre-sets into the Wilsons.

enjoy!...pls post if you see these...curious to read other people's reactions...

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing