Terra Nova-New Fox Series From Steven Spielberg

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It looks very interesting. Anyone going to watch the series premier tonight?

An almost Jurassic Park theme but set in the past

As described by Fox........

From executive producers Steven Spielberg and Peter Chernin comes an epic family adventure 85 million years in the making. TERRA NOVA follows an ordinary family on an incredible journey back in time to prehistoric Earth as part of a daring experiment to save the human race. The Shannon family joins the Tenth Pilgrimage of settlers to Terra Nova, the first colony established in this beautiful yet foreboding land. Jim Shannon, a devoted father with a checkered past, guides his family through this new world of limitless beauty, mystery and terror. Jim’s wife, Elisabeth, is a trauma surgeon and the newest addition to Terra Nova’s medical team. Josh is their 17-year-old son who is torn to leave life as he knows it behind; upon arriving at the settlement, he finds himself instantly drawn to the beautiful and rule-breaking Skye. Maddy, Josh’s endearingly awkward 15-year-old sister, hopes Terra Nova will give her a chance to reinvent herself. Although Elisabeth’s medical training secured the family a spot on the pilgrimage, a secret involving their five-year-old daughter, Zoe, soon endangers their place in this utopia. Upon the Shannons’ arrival, they are introduced to Cmdr. Nathaniel Taylor, the charismatic and heroic first pioneer and leader of the settlement. Taylor warns the travelers that while Terra Nova is a place of new opportunities and fresh beginnings, all is not as idyllic as it initially appears. Along with blue skies, towering waterfalls and lush vegetation, the surrounding terrain is teeming with danger – and not just of the man-eating dinosaur variety. There is also a splinter colony of renegades led by the battle-hardened Mira, who is vehemently opposed to Taylor and his leadership.

wineslob

Aug 5, 2010
Watched. it. It was OK, but far too many rehashed themes. I'll probably watch it and see if the storyline improves.

wineslob

Aug 5, 2010
I felt the same

I thought I was back in Jurassic Park with the kids looking up at the brontosauraus

I was thinking the same thing. Spielberg is just "going with what he knows". Could be bad. I think I'm hoping for a Lost feeling of WTF.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have recorded it but not watched it yet. The ratings put it at 10m viewers so basically average performance, well below what Fox expected.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
It was OK for me. Isn't the son the same whining kid that was in War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise?

We'll see how they develop the plot, with the "sixers" and the missing son, etc.

Lee

Steve Williams

So who caught Episode 2 last night other than me?

I must admit that I enjoyed it and feel that I will become a regular viewer. The computer graphics are terrific and even though the feel of the show is a combination of Jurassic Park and Lost amongst others, it is a very entertaining. It will be interesting to see how the son of Commander Nathaniel Taylor figures into the story inasmuch as he is leaving behind many symbols written on rocks for his father as well as the "sixers" who are a group similar to "the others" in Lost having split off from the main colony.

For me it's a thumb's up" at least for now.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
So who caught Episode 2 last night other than me?

I must admit that I enjoyed it and feel that I will become a regular viewer. The computer graphics are terrific and even though the feel of the show is a combination of Jurassic Park and Lost amongst others, it is a very entertaining. It will be interesting to see how the son of Commander Nathaniel Taylor figures into the story inasmuch as he is leaving behind many symbols written on rocks for his father as well as the "sixers" who are a group similar to "the others" in Lost having split off from the main colony.

For me it's a thumb's up" at least for now.

Had recorded the initial episode and just watched it this weekend. Wasn't bad but was getting a little tired of their little brats. Sounds like the second installment gets better :) Hopefully recorded episode two :)

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The second episode bode well for the series. If it had turned into a schmaltz-fest with the kids whining, etc., it would've gone off our radar here. Thankfully, there was some interesting action and some good effects. I agree with Steve that some pending story lines seem promising.

Lee

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI All,
I don't watch prime time series. Period!! But, I watched this one. The story has an interesting premise. It has a lot of room to grow. But, basically, I thought I had seen it all before. I was not too impressed.

I'll not return. Trying to schedule my time around a prime time series is just too painful unless it really grabs me. This one didn't.

And all the commercials during the second hour were beyond toleration.

Sparky

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
HI All,
I don't watch prime time series. Period!! But, I watched this one. The story has an interesting premise. It has a lot of room to grow. But, basically, I thought I had seen it all before. I was not too impressed.

I'll not return. Trying to schedule my time around a prime time series is just too painful unless it really grabs me. This one didn't.

Sparky

One word: TIVO or another: DVR

Lee

Steve Williams

HI All,

Sparky

One word: TIVO or another: DVR

Lee

You beat me to it. Let me also suggest On Demand. In fact I watched it On Demand. Only problem with that is you can't fast forward through the commercials so best choice is DVR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing