Audio Research vs. Aesthetix

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Can anyone compare these two brands? House sound (if it exists), quality at given price points, absolute quality?

Own ARC and know it well, curious about Aesthetix but haven't heard.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI,
I think your question is a bit open ended. But, I'll try. I have an all ARC system. My preamp is an SP-11 Mk 2 and the power amp is a D250 Mk 2 Servo. Speakers are Martin Logan CLS IIA ESL's.

Because the SP_11's phono stage is a hybrid design, I was curious if an all tube phono stage would outperform the SP-11's. So I bought an Aesthetix Rhea. I was hoping I would like it because I love the Rhea's features. I should note that I was very happy with the SP-11. Reviews for the Rhea had been outstanding and the basic sonic signature seemed in the direction of the SP-11. It seemed to be be a good gamble.

Well, it has worked out well. The Rhea is better but only barely. The signatures (or lack of) are very close. That is, the Rhea is very neutral, fast, and detailed; the same adjectives I would use to describe the SP-11's sound. Not at all fat and slobby. The Rhea matches the sound of the SP-11 very closely. Where the Rhea seems to exceed the SP-11 is with its dynamics. It's a bit more explosive. But not by much. The SP-11's phono stage is quieter, as in silent. But the Rhea is quiet enough. I can't hear the noise at my listening position.

I hope this helps. It would have been better if you specified the Aesthetix unit you were interested in.

Sparky

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Sparky-That was a well-reasoned response. The SP-11's phono stage should be quieter because it uses J-Fets on the input side of the phono circuit. The Aesthetix is pure tube which is always asking for trouble if you are using low output MC cartridges. You just can't think that you can ask an all tube circuit to amplify microvolts and not expect the signal to be in the noise floor of the tube(s). If you want a truly low-noise phono section and you want tubes, you really need a cartridge that is putting out millivolts and not microvolts. That means that you have some numbers on the left side of the decimal point my friends. If you have a cartridge rated at .23mv, that means the output is 230 microvolts. With tubes, it would be much better in terms of noise to have 2.3 mv of output.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI Mep,
The noise issue is one I was really concerned about with the Rhea. It was my opinion that an all tube phono preamp would not work with my .2 mV and .4 mV cartridges. Yet, I was not tempted to go to higher outputs because experience has taught me that higher output cartridges have higher moving masses and this is a major impediment to ultimate cartridge performance. It's a classical tradeoff. So, the question was whether the Rhea would work with my intended cartridges with a noise level that was not bringing attention to itself. This issue was at least as important to me as the basic sound signature. I refused to live with a phono stage that was noisy especially since I already had the SP-11 which is silent and also very good.

To my great surprise, the Rhea proved itself to be adequate. I was and remain impressed. I kept the Rhea.

Of course, there are variables that will change from person to person. I always try to scale the playback volume to the recorded source. I do not try to just listen loud. Loud is sometimes appropriate but softer can also be right. I feel that properly scaled volume is just another component of an honest listening experience. It all depends on the program. Using my preferred method of volume selection, the Rhea works. However, I know there are many audiophiles that use very loud volumes all the time. In these circumstances, I feel quite sure the Rhea noise would become audible and, perhaps, not acceptable.

Sparky

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Sparky-If you can use the Rhea to amplify a 230 microvolt signal and not have noise added to the signal that is audible, you just pulled off a miracle.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI Mep,
Come on Mep. I did not say that and you know it. Of course noise is added. Don't treat me as stupid. The issue is whether the noise is bothersome. And I say it is not. Not for me.

If you continue to skew my responses like this, you will get no more words from me.

Sparky

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Thanks for the reply Sparky. I intentionally left thevquestion open-ended because I'm interested in any Aestetix component experience and whether there is a 'house sound'. Would be curious too about the noise floor of their preamps and amps too. Quiet tube gear is something ARC excels at.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI Bob,
I think I answered you questions. As for house sound I would need more than one example to pinpoint it. If the Rhea is typical, the house sound is very similar to ARC.

Sparky

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Sparky-Don’t be so touchy. I’m not trying to skew your words. You said:
So, the question was whether the Rhea would work with my intended cartridges with a noise level that was not bringing attention to itself. This issue was at least as important to me as the basic sound signature. I refused to live with a phono stage that was noisy especially since I already had the SP-11 which is silent and also very good.

To my great surprise, the Rhea proved itself to be adequate. I was and remain impressed. I kept the Rhea.

What I inferred from what you said was that the noise level using the Rhea “was not bringing attention to itself.” You then went on to say this:

However, I know there are many audiophiles that use very loud volumes all the time. In these circumstances, I feel quite sure the Rhea noise would become audible and, perhaps, not acceptable.

And from that sentence I inferred that at the levels you listen to, the Rhea noise isn’t audible. So I think what you are saying now is that the tube noise is low enough at the levels you listen to that the noise is not bothersome. I think that’s great and I’m glad you’re happy with the Rhea. My point is/was that you are not going to amplify a 230 microvolt signal with tubes without noise. The only question is will the noise be low enough for you to tolerate. You have answered in the affirmative.

I used to use a Counterpoint SA-2 pre-preamp which is pure tube. It had all of the gain I needed to run a .23mv cartridge, but in the end I just got to the point where I found the added noise intolerable. The SA-2 uses two 6922 tubes in each channel for gain. I bought the “AAA” graded tubes from Mike Elliott that only 1 out of every 100 tubes tested makes the cut. The cost is now $120 per tube. Even though these were the lowest noise tubes I ever had (with the exception of the RAM Labs tubes that were in it when I first bought it), it was still noisy.

Everybody has a different tolerance for noise. My tolerance used to be too high. I have since recalibrated and now my tolerance to noise is very low. For that reason, I would not recommend an all-tube phono stage for someone who planned on using a low output MC cartridge because I have no idea what their tolerance for noise is. And the inevitable fact is there will be noise.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI Mep,
But the point is whether noise is objectionable to a particular listener. And you can not presume to answer that. That you try simply illustrates that you want to be recognized as a know it all. In fact, you don't. But you succeed to that unenviable image. Frankly, all I learn from you is nonsense.

Please refrain from answering any of my future posts. Server space is too valuable.

Sparky

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
HI Mep,
But the point is whether noise is objectionable to a particular listener. And you can not presume to answer that. That you try simply illustrates that you want to be recognized as a know it all. In fact, you don't. But you succeed to that unenviable image. Frankly, all I learn from you is nonsense.

Please refrain from answering any of my future posts. Server space is too valuable.

Sparky

Sparky, just to play devil's advocate--once you find a quiet phono section that sounds good, you do wonder why you put up with this noise for as long as you did :) But a good friend had the Aesthetix Io phono and it was pretty quiet with cartridges down to 0.4 mV in his system. And the problem is that there's something special about those very low output MCs--though the Clearaudios with around 0.8 mV seem to whet a lot of people's whistle.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
HI Mep,
But the point is whether noise is objectionable to a particular listener. And you can not presume to answer that.

And you are so right. I said exactly that as the reason I would not recommend a tube preamp to someone who wants to use a low output mc cartridge because I don’t know whether the noise will be objectionable to them. We are in 100% agreement on this issue and I don’t understand why you are saying that I presume to know what noise level other people will find objectionable.

That you try simply illustrates that you want to be recognized as a know it all. In fact, you don't. But you succeed to that unenviable image. Frankly, all I learn from you is nonsense.

You have it so wrong Sparky. Go back and read what I wrote. I have never tried to be condescending like you are right now. I simply stated a fact that amplifying a 230 microvolt signal with tubes will add noise to the signal. Whether or not people can live with that noise in their system will depend on a large number of factors that I can’t pretend to know or guess about. I thought I was clear in that.

Quit being so snarky Sparky and read my posts more carefully before you misrepresent what I said and get your hair on fire and try to jump down my throat. I don’t appreciate it. And by the way, last I knew, you aren’t paying for server space on this forum.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My current phono pre is all tube. Well, so was the last one actually. When the unit came in it was awfully noisy. It turned out one 12ax7 on the left and one 12at7 on the right did not enjoy the trip from Europe to the Philippines. The manufacturer has since started shipping units uninstalled with tubes like Aesthetix rightly does (I have a Janus on standby meant for our country condo). Anyway, in my experience anyway, if you want a quiet tube phonostage, you need quiet tubes. All but one of my carts is in the .2 and .3 range.

Being tubed doesn't make it noisy automatically. :)

On Bob's question, I wish I could answer. Problem is I've only ever owned one ARC preamp and that was the LS 16 Mk2 waaaaaay back when. I had it for only a brief time because it didn't play well with my Levinson 23.5. Even among ARC devotees, this model wasn't exactly what one would call well loved. In the scheme of things, I find the Janus very competent. It's got loads of inputs and outputs, drives pretty much anything, has very good ergonomics and is fuss free. The price is also very good for what you get especially on the ergonomics end. What it isn't is spectacular or anything like that. With the stock tubes I find them just a tad dry and lean for my tastes but that's easily remedied with a bit of tube rolling anyway. The ergonomics was what won me over because I needed a preamp my wife could operate easily.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
Sparky, just to play devil's advocate--once you find a quiet phono section that sounds good, you do wonder why you put up with this noise for as long as you did :) But a good friend had the Aesthetix Io phono and it was pretty quiet with cartridges down to 0.4 mV in his system. And the problem is that there's something special about those very low output MCs--though the Clearaudios with around 0.8 mV seem to whet a lot of people's whistle.

HI Miles,
Your proposition does not work in my case. The phono section of my SP-11 is both excellent AND extremely quiet. I'm used to dead black backgrounds. It was my benchmark when auditioning the Aesthetix Rhea. All of my comments about the Rhea are in reference to the SP-11. I have not had a noisy phono stage for many years.

As for Clearaudio, I had their Discovery. It was good. At their price it should be. But, overall I was not real impressed. My Lyra Skala is significantly better. For that matter, my Monster Sigma Genesis 2000 is better. I sold the Clearaudio and continued to look. The Skala is the best cartridge I have owned.

Sparky

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
Can anyone compare these two brands? House sound (if it exists), quality at given price points, absolute quality?

Own ARC and know it well, curious about Aesthetix but haven't heard.

ive compared both at my b&m local store and both are very good, both are really very good actually. i typically prefer the ARC sound because somehow they tend to get much sharper more realistic 3-d images on very good recordings and get vocals right, at least to me. aesthetix stuff is probably more accurate though. lots of things come into play when deciding but i don't think you can wrong with either ... they both have different sounds. best to try to listen if you can in your own system.

Last edited:

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
ive compared both at my b&m local store and both are very good, both are really very good actually. i typically prefer the ARC sound because somehow they tend to get much sharper more realistic 3-d images on very good recordings and get vocals right, at least to me. aesthetix stuff is probably more accurate though. lots of things come into play when deciding but i don't think you can wrong with either ... they both have different sounds. best to try to listen if you can in your own system.

Not much if anything does dimensionality like ARC. Was happy with my 210s in that regard and the 75 is even better. Would love to hear the two brands side by side sometime.

Why do you think the Aesthetix is more accurate?

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
As the owner of an Aesthetix Rhea and an ARC Reference 2SE Phono, I can attest to the ARC being significantly quieter and my preference.

limniscate

Jul 16, 2016
My ARC Ref5SE is a lot better than my Aesthetix Calypso Signature, but I guess a fairer comparison would be to the Calypso Eclipse.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing