Fundamentals of science possibly need to be reconsidered

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
It has been an interesting week for science, both of which came from CERN.
First is that scientists are coming to the conclusion that they cannot find the Higgs-Boson "God particle" even with equipment they were positive would prove its existence and so must move towards the view of a few scientists and their model that it did not, and then secondly a particle travelling faster than light has been found.

The result, if validated this has a profound affect on our understanding on the laws of physics and universe, and maybe just maybe we should play scrabble and see if the following comes up;
"What do you get if you multiply 6 by 9?" :)

In reference to Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy for those that do not know.

Cheers
Orb

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I read the AP article on the second bit. Quite fascinating. With a margin of a few nanoseconds though, confirmation will be key to know if it did go faster than speed of light. I understand there have been previous claims about that but all have been wrong.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Yeah definitely interesting and for sure needs further validation (why I bolded this)
The amount of time though if true does not matter as it the Einsteins law should not be breakable as any particle would require infinite energy.

The 1st is just as much of a worry though as the Higgs-Boson is pretty critical to physics, one reason it is pretty argumentative between a few famous scientists to say the least :)
Funny enough the Higgs-Boson news has been rather quiet.

Cheers
Orb

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
It has been an interesting week for science, both of which came from CERN.
First is that scientists are coming to the conclusion that they cannot find the Higgs-Boson "God particle" even with equipment they were positive would prove its existence and so must move towards the view of a few scientists and their model that it did not, and then secondly a particle travelling faster than light has been found.

The result, if validated this has a profound affect on our understanding on the laws of physics and universe, and maybe just maybe we should play scrabble and see if the following comes up;
"What do you get if you multiply 6 by 9?" :)

In reference to Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy for those that do not know.

Cheers
Orb

Does that mean they have proven there is no god?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
No, but it would be humorous on many levels to use in the audio components debate on if it cannot be measured it does not exist :)

Funny enough you just reminded me of something else, not sure how much news this made in north america, but Nasa has said also this week that dinosaurs did not go extinct due to the associated asteroid that hit our planet, another very quiet subject in the news.
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/WISE/news/wise20110919.html
OF course this does not rule out an asteroid did kill dinosaurs, just that the original theory/model has a few holes in it such as not coming from known asteroid fields or matching models used.
Cheers
Orb

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
No, but it would be humorous on many levels to use in the audio components debate on if it cannot be measured it does not exist :)

Funny enough you just reminded me of something else, not sure how much news this made in north america, but Nasa has said also this week that dinosaurs did not go extinct due to the associated asteroid that hit our planet, another very quiet subject in the news.

Cheers
Orb

I'd be interested in the applications of faster than light travel for audio cables.
No more complaints about slow subwoofers

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

OF course this does not rule out an asteroid did kill dinosaurs, just that the original theory/model has a few holes in it such as not coming from known asteroid fields or matching models used.
Cheers
Orb

Yeah it was off by a couple of ten of millions of year :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Does that mean they have proven there is no god?

No, it only means that at some point in the future we can discover that audio cassettes are actually quieter than digital. :)

Tim

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Yeah it was off by a couple of ten of millions of year :)

A minor quibble scientists supporting the theory would probably say :)
Bit like the "minor quibbles" in the global warming models, but that is too controversial for this thread.

Cheers
Orb

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yeah definitely interesting and for sure needs further validation (why I bolded this) (...)

For those who think "validation" could just mean a DBT :) I copy part of the CERN press release :

"“This result comes as a complete surprise,” said OPERA spokesperson, Antonio Ereditato of the University of Bern. “After many months of studies and cross checks we have not found any instrumental effect that could explain the result of the measurement. While OPERA researchers will continue their studies, we are also looking forward to independent measurements to fully assess the nature of this observation.”

“When an experiment finds an apparently unbelievable result and can find no artefact of the measurement to account for it, it’s normal procedure to invite broader scrutiny, and this is exactly what the OPERA collaboration is doing, it’s good scientific practice,” said CERN Research Director Sergio Bertolucci. “If this measurement is confirmed, it might change our view of physics, but we need to be sure that there are no other, more mundane, explanations. That will require independent measurements.”

You can see it all at :

http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2011/PR19.11E.html

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Yes I guess some might associate with DBT :)

Thanks for the additional info as well.
Thanks
Orb

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No, it only means that at some point in the future we can discover that audio cassettes are actually quieter than digital. :)

Tim

Surely, but only if played in a Nakamichi Dragon with heads that have undergone cryogenic treatment at the temperature of liquid helium-3, not the trivial liquid nitrogen.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
And therefore we should believe in astrology, tarot, crystal therapy, etc ... all because ... well ...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Surely, but only if played in a Nakamichi Dragon with heads that have undergone cryogenic treatment at the temperature of liquid helium-3, not the trivial liquid nitrogen.

I had a Nakamichi Dragon cassette player and I still kick myself for selling it.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Well,
if they find a link of astrology,etc with Higgs-Boson/Einstein model-theory failures I will be gobsmacked, so belief is where they will stay :)

One positive if faster than light particle is proved, at least we can finally conclude the concept of time travel relating to it (I really am not a fan of the time travel theory), faster than light cables oh yeah :)
Kidding on the cable btw.

Cheers
Orb

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Tim

At least it's analog and tape. It's mind-blowing what Nakamichi did with cassette tape. A 1/8" piece of tape traveling at 1 7/8 ips and recorded on both sides should sound horrible, but in fact it sounds great on Nakamichi's most serious efforts at building the world's best cassette tape decks. And Dolby B and C are pretty damn quiet.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
At least it's analog and tape. It's mind-blowing what Nakamichi did with cassette tape. A 1/8" piece of tape traveling at 1 7/8 ips and recorded on both sides should sound horrible, but in fact it sounds great on Nakamichi's most serious efforts at building the world's best cassette tape decks. And Dolby B and C are pretty damn quiet.

IIRC I bought mine new for $1200

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
IIRC I bought mine new for $1200

They are very much appreciated in Europe - you can see excellent condition Dragon units selling now for usd 1750 at eBay Germany. But I will not part with my CR7E ...

BTW, I just entered " Nakamichi CR7E" in google and found that many posts about it start with "I wish I still had mine" or similar.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Steve, it would nice if you open a thread about Nakamichi decks in the section "What's Best In Manufacturers".

No What's Best Forum should ignore them and Nakamichi decks are much easier to detect than neutrinos...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing