Phono pre for DMC-30SS

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I'm currently using the ayre p5xe with my DMC-30SS and have recently installed a Lyra Kleos. I'm really enjoying vinyl. For some time I have thought that my phono stage was a potential for better performance. I'm beginning to look into upgrading the phono stage early next year. On the short list would be: Einstein, naim superline, ARC PH8, Artemis PL1. I'm open to other ideas. I would prefer a single ended design as the balanced input is taken by my digital source. Can anyone comment on pairing phono stages with the Spectral pre? The DMC30 has a input impedance spec of 15k ohms. The Arc ph8 states a lower limit of 10k ohms. Are tube phono stages a bad idea with the Spectral preamp? Has anyone heard the Tempo electric phono stage? I have my fingers crossed that Spectral may introduce their own phono stage when I'm ready to upgrade.

Thanks

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I also use the P5xe in my Spectral system and am waiting for a Spectral phono...

Pete Roth

Aug 29, 2011
Ack: Do you have any insider knowledge regarding the timing of such a Spectral phono? Given Reference Recording's foray back into the world of vinyl, I was wondering if such a move was in the near future cards. On a related note, received the Quality Pressing's reissue of Getz/Gilberto and listened this morning -- glorious! - Pete -

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Sorry, no info... if I hear something I'll be sure to post

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi dan31,

Regarding your query on pairing a tube phono stage wtih a Spectral line stage, I have used a Lamm LP2 deluxe phono stage with the DMC 30 SS on several occassions and I have never heard or detected any technical problems nor have the sonics of this combination ever been amusical.

As for pairing phono stages with Spectral line stages, aside from the Lamm, I had good experiences with SAC, Spectral DMC 20 series 1, Spectral DMC 20 series 2, and the Crosby modified Spectral DMC 10.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing