What portable headphone amps are people using?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Just wondering....

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I have a battery-operated Headroom portable that does a fine, quiet enough job of giving an iPod or my laptop enough voltage to drive a pair of pretty inefficient cans (thinking HD650s, K701s, Etys without an i in the name...), but if I had it to do over again, I'd probably get with with an integrated DAC that would run off of USB as well as analog. If you have headphones that are compatible with the voltage output of and efficient enough for the power of the iPod, I'm unconvinced that a portable amp buys anything more than a whole other gain stage and all of the opportunity for the introduction of noise and distortion that implies. But if it gets the digital to analog process out of the iPod and the MacBook, that might be a net gain, depending, of course, on the quality of the implementation.

Tim

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Thanks Tim. What model is the amp, is it a Bithead?

I'm hearing good thing about the amp from Todd the Vinyl Junkie also.

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
I just picked up an ALO Continental V2 and one of their Cricket LOD cables to use with my iPod Classic and B&W P5's for when I travel (every other week or so). The Continental uses a Raytheon NOS 6111 tube and once I put about 20 hours on the unit I was stunned at how good it sounds. I've been using it as a desktop system as well with my Sennheiser HD 580's and it soundly trumps my older Musical Fidelity X based headphone amp and power supply. A little expensive, but I'm addicted to the sound now.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
This video might help. Post #3

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing