Does Ortofon still rebuild the A90 ?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I guess my A90 sounding tired is not the right description. Maybe that was me last night.

Compared to 12 months ago the A90 does not sound as detailed or as clear, has slight tracking issues it did not have before and sounds a bit hazy / worn out. The suspension does not look any different.

I know the replicant 100 stylus is very extreme, so I guess it wears our at a much quicker rate than other less extreme stylus profiles. Hence Ortofon's life span of 600 - 1000 hours of play before worn?

I will probably send it back to Ortofon for a check up / re-tip. Anyone know how much they charge??

Has anyone else done 600 - 1000 hours of playtime?

my 3500 hour dyna xv-1 still sounds pretty good in most respects in comparison.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I guess my A90 sounding tired is not the right description. Maybe that was me last night.

Compared to 12 months ago the A90 does not sound as detailed or as clear, has slight tracking issues it did not have before and sounds a bit hazy / worn out. The suspension does not look any different.

I know the replicant 100 stylus is very extreme, so I guess it wears our at a much quicker rate than other less extreme stylus profiles. Hence Ortofon's life span of 600 - 1000 hours of play before worn?

I will probably send it back to Ortofon for a check up / re-tip. Anyone know how much they charge??

Has anyone else done 600 - 1000 hours of playtime?

my 3500 hour dyna xv-1 still sounds pretty good in most respects in comparison.

I'd still try fluxbusting with the AudioPhysics model first :)I have to say that 1200 hrs seems a little short. My Lyras lasted 4-5 years and still sounded great. Used to be that the suspension elastomer hardened but doubt that's the case nowadays.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I'd still try fluxbusting with the AudioPhysics model first :)I have to say that 1200 hrs seems a little short. My Lyras lasted 4-5 years and still sounded great. Used to be that the suspension elastomer hardened but doubt that's the case nowadays.

I have the Cardas LP with fluxbuster on it and the Gryphon Black Exorcist cartridge demagnetizer, so wil try one of those.

J Carr says the Lyra carts will last between 2000 - 2500 hours before worn.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
so the bottom line is this wonderful cartridge becomes a dust collector after 1000 hours :confused:

This is really the same with any cartridge. I think the statement is ultra conservative.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have the Cardas LP with fluxbuster on it and the Gryphon Black Exorcist cartridge demagnetizer, so wil try one of those.

J Carr says the Lyra carts will last between 2000 - 2500 hours before worn.

One other thing I've found useful. Sometimes the stylus really gets gummed up and it's useful to use something like the magic eraser. Take a rectangular piece of the magic eraser, half its thickness and then glue it to a nickel, etc. Then put it on your platter and lower the stylus onto the magic eraser several times. You should feel it grab and sometimes see an indentation where the stylus sat on the magic eraser. Then clean it with something like the Clearaudio stylus cleaning fluid and repeat.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
This is really the same with any cartridge. I think the statement is ultra conservative.

I hope so. I track at 2 grams with my A90 and clean it often. I also use a tally counter to keep track of the number of sides played to get a more accurate hours played estimate. I'm hoping for at least 1500 hours. I also just purchase a new sealed one for the Furture. Seems kind of crazy to tie up $4k in a cart you don't expect to use for a couple years...Perhaps I am suffering from a mild case of analog nervosa....buy I digress. :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ortofon has announced the MC Anna ($7,500) and is introducing it as Ort's new flagship model. It supposedly uses the technology developed for and with the A90. Not having heard it, I can only comment on its looks. The A90 is much better looking. MC Anna looks like a beetle on its back and the lady eyes graphics looks like it was lifted from a 80's T-shirt. If we had a head scratching emoticon, I'd use it right about now.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I recently bought a second Ortofon A90. What was interesting is the fact that Ortofon did another production run of A90's in the spring of this year. Mine was inspected/made 5-9-2011 which is after the intial 400 run. The extra run is non-serial numbered run of carts which I also fiond interesting. Anyone have more info on this ? I was concerned, but my cart is the real deal...just with no serial number.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ortofon has announced the MC Anna ($7,500) and is introducing it as Ort's new flagship model. It supposedly uses the technology developed for and with the A90. Not having heard it, I can only comment on its looks. The A90 is much better looking. MC Anna looks like a beetle on its back and the lady eyes graphics looks like it was lifted from a 80's T-shirt. If we had a head scratching emoticon, I'd use it right about now.

Interesting... the specs are much "worse" than many an old flagship.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I recently bought a second Ortofon A90. What was interesting is the fact that Ortofon did another production run of A90's in the spring of this year. Mine was inspected/made 5-9-2011 which is after the intial 400 run. The extra run is non-serial numbered run of carts which I also fiond interesting. Anyone have more info on this ? I was concerned, but my cart is the real deal...just with no serial number.

Where did you buy this from? Sure it's not refurbished?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Where did you buy this from? Sure it's not refurbished?

An audiogon seller. This was confirmed with the Ortofon distributor. It is not a rebuild.... if it was (rebuilt), I don't think Ortofon would put in a new security stamp/wire, which is the case with this cart.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
An audiogon seller. This was confirmed with the Ortofon distributor. It is not a rebuild.... if it was (rebuilt), I don't think Ortofon would put in a new security stamp/wire, which is the case with this cart.

This is very strange - like, why would they not put on a serial number... I have not dealt with many high end cartridges the last 20+ years, but every recent one I did have or saw did include a serial number somewhere in the box, like my $2000 Dynavector XX-2 MkII before the A90...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
This is very strange - like, why would they not put on a serial number... I have not dealt with many high end cartridges the last 20+ years, but every recent one I did have or saw did include a serial number somewhere in the box, like my $2000 Dynavector XX-2 MkII before the A90...

I agree, strange.

The seller had the same questions and inquired with Louis from Ortofon who said a batch of unserailized A90's was made in early 2011.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

I went to the horses mouth in Denmark. Here is the repsonse:

Hello Christian

That is correct MC A90 was a limited edition of 400 units. We have though experienced a high demand on A90 and therefore decided to produce additionally very limited number as we have had spares surplus on stock. These genuine Ortofon cartridges are though without serial numbers as they are manufactured on demand and so say beyond the official 400 units.

These cartridges are naturally backed-up by a guarantee and Repair services.

Repair service Exclusive series
Ortofon MC Windfeld, A90 and Xpression are the exclusive cartridges of very high quality. To support our customers, who have accidentally damaged their cartridges, Ortofon provides a special repair service. Should you have need this service, please contact your local Ortofon Partner.

Best regards
Katarina H. Nielsen
Ortofon A/S

Needless to say I am relieved that my unserialized cart is new (not a rebuild) and on the up and up. :cool:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
That's good to hear... now, on the 1000hr lifetime thing... can you also ask them what exactly goes wrong at that point?

I cannot believe it would be the diamond, the cantilever, glue, wires, magnets... except... the suspension, perhaps getting softer or something. Would that be covered under the rebuild service? What if it is indeed the diamond - would the service cover that? Would/could re-alignment "fix" that?

I have a feeling there is nothing irreparably wrong with the cartridge after said interval, and I suspect the suspension gets softer, therefore SRA is severely changed - but I could certainly be wrong. I did a simple experiment last weekend, to re-verify I set SRA correctly before... recall, to set SRA, I had started with the prescribed 2.3g tracking force which allegedly results in a desired 23degree VTA (which would presumably give us 0 degree SRA), then calculated that in order to get a +2degree SRA I would need to raise the arm 9.67 cm. So the experiment was to lower the arm by 9.67cm - indeed, the sound became a little muffled and veiled.

Now, if this experiment were to simulate a softening suspension (which I think it could)... you know where I am getting at... Re-raising the arm put the magic back, and the tracking force was now back to 1.986. So I then decided to bring it up to the recommended range of 2.0g to 2.5 by adding a little blutac on top of the headshell (my arm has a hole I could use) - that brought it to 2.06 with the added benefit of a little weightier bass...

Thanks

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
That's good to hear... now, on the 1000hr lifetime thing... can you also ask them what exactly goes wrong at that point?

I cannot believe it would be the diamond, the cantilever, glue, wires, magnets... except... the suspension, perhaps getting softer or something. Would that be covered under the rebuild service? What if it is indeed the diamond - would the service cover that? Would/could re-alignment "fix" that?

I have a feeling there is nothing irreparably wrong with the cartridge after said interval, and I suspect the suspension gets softer, therefore SRA is severely changed - but I could certainly be wrong. I did a simple experiment last weekend, to re-verify I set SRA correctly before... recall, to set SRA, I had started with the prescribed 2.3g tracking force which allegedly results in a desired 23degree VTA (which would presumably give us 0 degree SRA), then calculated that in order to get a +2degree SRA I would need to raise the arm 9.67 cm. So the experiment was to lower the arm by 9.67cm - indeed, the sound became a little muffled and veiled.

Now, if this experiment were to simulate a softening suspension (which I think it could)... you know where I am getting at... Re-raising the arm put the magic back, and the tracking force was now back to 1.986. So I then decided to bring it up to the recommended range of 2.0g to 2.5 by adding a little blutac on top of the headshell (my arm has a hole I could use) - that brought it to 2.06 with the added benefit of a little weightier bass...

Thanks

I had asked previously and they say 600-1000hrs. I don't believe it however.

I doubt complete rebuilt option: A90 was a limited edition, discontinued for soon a year ago, thus spares for complete rebuilt not available. We used to say stylus life time is in the range 600-1000 hours without degradation of performance, thus (hypothetically) complete rebuilt could be an issue after a number of years. In the meanwhile we would continue working on new models, using new materials, new technologies to improve performance and acoustics, thus new exciting (from the engineering and acoustical point of view) cartridges would be available.

We shall see as more A90's get up in age...perhaps people will chime in on the hours over 1000 they have and that it still sounds great. Orotfon is in the cart selling business. I'm sure, like most company's they would rather you buy their new products sooner than later. We have the technology to make a 50 year lightbulb. Not good for buisness...LOL

They will do retips/cantilever replacements.
Hello Christian, yes, A90 stylus can be replaced if and when worn out as a part of Repair Service Exclusive Series.
Best regards
Katarina H. Nielsen
Ortofon A/S

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Christian, I have to love Ortofon's reply to your inquiry:(. They state that since they had high demand, they decided to build more cartridges than the supposed 400 that the release was limited to:eek:.....Not only have they said in the past that the cartridge has a lifespan of a maximum of 1000Hrs:(, but now they have disregarded one of their main selling points to their customer:eek:.. How many is "very limited",is a "very limited" number one, two, ten or ten thousand? :(
Additionally, these "extra" cartridges are not even 'serial numbered' which to me says nothing good:mad:.
IMHO, when a company displays an attitude to their customer like this, I would stay well away:eek:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Not placing a serial number is certainly a way to avoid disclosing how many more were made

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian, I have to love Ortofon's reply to your inquiry:(. They state that since they had high demand, they decided to build more cartridges than the supposed 400 that the release was limited to:eek:.....Not only have they said in the past that the cartridge has a lifespan of a maximum of 1000Hrs:(, but now they have disregarded one of their main selling points to their customer:eek:.. How many is "very limited",is a "very limited" number one, two, ten or ten thousand? :(
Additionally, these "extra" cartridges are not even 'serial numbered' which to me says nothing good:mad:.
IMHO, when a company displays an attitude to their customer like this, I would stay well away:eek:

Kind of like limited album releases...ie:Fleetwood Mac - Rumours...The Hoffman/Gray remaster job on 45 rpm. That was supposed to be limited, but once they relaized how vigorous demand was, they pressed more...LOL

I hear what your saying about Ortofon, however the sound/performance of the A90 is worth it to me....to put up with those games. Cheers !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing