Avior

trponhunter

Apr 30, 2012
The scanspeak d30 is truly an extraordinary tweeter, as used in the Mira2. The beryllium is a bit sweeter, faster, more dynamic - basically just a little bit better in all regards. It is not the "oh my god - listen to that tweeter" type of experience. Just better in all ways, by a bit. The longer you listen though, the more readily identifiable it becomes. Actually, that's the point of all Rockport speakers - they don't shout at you - they slowly suck you in.

It is amazing that I went from the Arrakis as the first speaker i listened to - then right to the Mira2's. I told Andy that there was no way I could go down so much after the Arrakis -he just chuckled. The Mira2's were awesome and my respect for them only increased - not as good in any way as the Arrakis - but the same tonality.
Going then to the Avior, the cabinet signature decreased, the low level resolution increased, as well as the bass extension and air captured on the recordings. The tonality again was very similar ( as it should be - right is right - and it should be similar if the products are properly designed).

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi everyone,

I have been keenly following the Rockport threads and am close to finalizing the purchase - Avior. Not sure what the backlog looks like, but hopefully, I will be in a position to get them soon. Nothing wrong with my current speakers, the B50 Burmester - actually they are brilliant in all respects except that they can't keep up with my penchant to play rock music at above normal levels! Hence the itch. I did correspond with Jeff Fritz who has very nice things to say about the the Aviors as well as the pairing with my Burmester 911 monos.

Any thoughts/first hand experience with the Aviors, especially, paired with Burmester electronics? Would be great to know.

Cheers

Sujay

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi everyone,

I have been keenly following the Rockport threads and am close to finalizing the purchase - Avior. Not sure what the backlog looks like, but hopefully, I will be in a position to get them soon. Nothing wrong with my current speakers, the B50 Burmester - actually they are brilliant in all respects except that they can't keep up with my penchant to play rock music at above normal levels! Hence the itch. I did correspond with Jeff Fritz who has very nice things to say about the the Aviors as well as the pairing with my Burmester 911 monos.

Any thoughts/first hand experience with the Aviors, especially, paired with Burmester electronics? Would be great to know.

Cheers

Sujay
Congrats/good luck...I cannot say I have heard the Aviors, but I have heard the Merak sheritan IIs, Altair 2 and Arrakis 2...and the observation of Rockports having a very very similar sound, just 'better' as you ascend seems true to me. And I love Rockports. I imagine you will them to be very special and I would think they match very well with your amps. Unfortunately, that is conjecture since I've not done the combo...though I think I have heard elsewhere positive things from those who have.

Pls post when you order and they arrive! When would that be?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi everyone,...my current speakers, the B50 Burmester - actually they are brilliant in all respects except that they can't keep up with my penchant to play rock music at above normal levels! Hence the itch. ...

Of course this depends on the amp and the size of your room...as a VERY happy Rockport owner...I don't know if I'd consider them the best for playing loudly...The Wilson's are generally excellent in this regard (and of course other areas). Is this your only issue with your current Burmester speakers?

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Of course this depends on the amp and the size of your room...as a VERY happy Rockport owner...I don't know if I'd consider them the best for playing loudly...The Wilson's are generally excellent in this regard (and of course other areas). Is this your only issue with your current Burmester speakers?

Hi, first of all, allow me to commend on your amazing Rockport speakers - I wish I had the space for them. My room is 22ft long, 15 ft wide and 11 ft high. And yes, the main reason for changing my current burmesters is that I am scared to turn up the volume. The 911 monos are an incredible amp and pack quite a punch. I am scared of overdriving my speakers.

Cheers

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi,

So I was lucky enough to be in Singapore yesterday and actually got to demo the Aviors - driven by the Karan dual mono 600 watt power amp. My immediate impressions:
- dense/thick presentation with a lot of meat ( all in a good way) as against thin tone and texture
- incredible bass slam, which probably is also attributable to the Karan being a fast amp
- exceptional width, imaging and placement of instruments in the soundstage. In fact, amongst the best I have heard so far. The sound almost enveloped me from ear to ear.
- there is something special going on here in my view given that the demo room was relatively small i.e. not more than about11x10x9 - the speakers didn't seem to overpower the room despite very high volume.

All in all, very, very impressive. I get this feeling that they will pair well with the Burmester 911s given they are probably a tad more transparent and neutral (and equally fast) than the Karan.

Cheers

Sujay

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi,

So I was lucky enough to be in Singapore yesterday and actually got to demo the Aviors - driven by the Karan dual mono 600 watt power amp. My immediate impressions:
- dense/thick presentation with a lot of meat ( all in a good way) as against thin tone and texture
- incredible bass slam, which probably is also attributable to the Karan being a fast amp
- exceptional width, imaging and placement of instruments in the soundstage. In fact, amongst the best I have heard so far. The sound almost enveloped me from ear to ear.
- there is something special going on here in my view given that the demo room was relatively small i.e. not more than about11x10x9 - the speakers didn't seem to overpower the room despite very high volume.

All in all, very, very impressive. I get this feeling that they will pair well with the Burmester 911s given they are probably a tad more transparent and neutral (and equally fast) than the Karan.

Cheers

Sujay
Nice feedback. What is your thinking now? Are you getting them?

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi, jfrech, just so that I am clear.....do you mean to say that the rock ports may not be the final word when it comes to playing cleanly at high SPL levels? Actually with two 9 inch base drivers, that shud not be a problem....unless I am mistaken

Thx

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Hi Sujay
My first post here. I have owned the Rockport Aviors for over a year after 8+ years of ESLs. Amazing speaker. It's so well balanced and coherent that it almost seems there is no crossover. IMHO that's the ultimate compliment for a box speaker even discounting owner pride/bias.
Cheers
Pradeep

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi Sujay
My first post here. I have owned the Rockport Aviors for over a year after 8+ years of ESLs. Amazing speaker. It's so well balanced and coherent that it almost seems there is no crossover. IMHO that's the ultimate compliment for a box speaker even discounting owner pride/bias.
Cheers
Pradeep

Hi Pradeep,

I quite agree with you and thanks.....it does help to get positive endorsement. In fact, I listened to the magico s5 a few days ago - very nice indeed and excellent bass response but somehow I get the feeling that the Aviors were more refined and coherent.

By the way, have you played your Aviors loud? Wide be interested to know how they behave at high SPLs

Cheers

Sujay

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Sujay
No sweat. The Aviors play as loud as you want them. My listening room specs are quite similar to yours. You can plumb the depths. Loud SPLs are noo problem. You can't go wrong with the Avior. Your name suggests that you have some connection with my part of the world.
NJoy
Pradeep

Sole Invictus

Feb 22, 2014
Hello all,

It's great to hear all the positive comments about the Rockport and Avior in particular. I have ordered a pair of Avior and just can't wait!!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hello all,

It's great to hear all the positive comments about the Rockport and Avior in particular. I have ordered a pair of Avior and just can't wait!!

Welcome aboard! What speakers are the Rockports replacing?

Sole Invictus

Feb 22, 2014
Welcome aboard! What speakers are the Rockports replacing?

They are replacing my beloved Kharma Mini Exquisite. The Ayre MX-R will replace the Kharma MP350 to mate with the Avior. I heard from Jfrech that the MX-Rs are good match for the Avior (they are driving the Altair II in his system) which I'm very happy to hear (I have never auditioned MX-Rs with Rockport before). My Kondo M7 will also be replaced by the MBL6010D. All in all, it is a complete new direction sound-wise.My previous system sounded beautiful and lush but I am moving to a bigger room soon and also wanting to get more into classical music, hence this change.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
They are replacing my beloved Kharma Mini Exquisite. The Ayre MX-R will replace the Kharma MP350 to mate with the Avior. I heard from Jfrech that the MX-Rs are good match for the Avior (they are driving the Altair II in his system) which I'm very happy to hear (I have never auditioned MX-Rs with Rockport before). My Kondo M7 will also be replaced by the MBL6010D. All in all, it is a complete new direction sound-wise.My previous system sounded beautiful and lush but I am moving to a bigger room soon and also wanting to get more into classical music, hence this change.

Wow...that is indeed quite a lot of change. Congrats!! Very exciting. I have not heard the Kharma amps, but have heard your new Ayres, and yes JFrech also uses them with his Altairs. I am curious about one thing having heard a Kondo M1000 and also the MBL6010D...why the change on this one? I have to imagine your M7 is excellent (and seemed wonderful with classical) and perhaps quite a nice counterbalance to the extremely linear Ayres? Just curious to learn what direction you have decided to take and why...thanks for further details. Will look forward to reading more.

Sole Invictus

Feb 22, 2014
Wow...that is indeed quite a lot of change. Congrats!! Very exciting. I have not heard the Kharma amps, but have heard your new Ayres, and yes JFrech also uses them with his Altairs. I am curious about one thing having heard a Kondo M1000 and also the MBL6010D...why the change on this one? I have to imagine your M7 is excellent (and seemed wonderful with classical) and perhaps quite a nice counterbalance to the extremely linear Ayres? Just curious to learn what direction you have decided to take and why...thanks for further details. Will look forward to reading more.

Kondo (especially preamp) is without a doubt an excellent match with the Kharma since there is a very good synergy between them. Together they paint a beautiful, crystal clear sonic picture. The sound is magical and unreal (in a good way). But after living with it for a while, I started to think maybe I want something real and natural and can play any type of music from string quartets to large scale orchestra.In this regards, I believe the Avior can do the job better. I don't expect my new system will be better in all areas because I know I will miss the Kharma/Kondo set up in some areas which make them very unique (the sparkling high of the diamond tweeter, the tight, fast and crisp mid/bass., etc).

While the M7 can be a good match with the Ayre in terms of counterbalance like you said, I'm not sure if it could be good with the Avior in terms of tonality. I never tried so I really don't know. But I would imagine that if you want to hear a big soundstage from large scale orchestra music, the MBL6010D would excel. Besides, the M7 does not accommodate XLR connection while the Ayre has only balanced inputs. Actually I had the same problem with the MP350 and M7 and I would imagine the sound would be a better without this issue.

Before buying the MX-R I almost bought the Ypsilon Aelius (made the deposit already however, the seller then decided to sell to another buyer. Long story but I hold no grudge in the end)

I hope to report my new system more in details when they arrive

Cheers
SI

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have heard Rockports with Electrocompaniet, Constellation and VTL Siegfrieds...it always sounded great to me. I may have ultimately wanted to 'touch up' the voice a bit here or there, but generally the sound was great, and I really enjoyed my time with all 3 systems. Good luck with the system and look forward reading more about it when its up and running.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
What I always find a disadvantage , is that when you change out 3 items at once , speakers/poweramps/preamp you never really know what changed the sound for the better or worse .
If you change one at a time over an extended time period you get to know each component better , at least that's how I try to do it .
Funny what you said about the kondo pre , I heard the M1000 once or twice and kind of had the same impression voluptuous /colourfull but not exactly neutral

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing