Avior

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What was the rest of the equipment in the picture? :)

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
EAR all the way

Master Disk turntable at the top - no close up picture

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks!

LJP

Nov 18, 2011
Looking at this last picture of the Avior, the drivers appear to look different from those used in the other Rockport speakers.

Is there in fact, anything different or are their looks deceiving me?

It's interesting to note Andy Payor's "return" to front-firing woofers. Has anyone heard anything about where and how far Andy will be going with this? It would be something to have those glorious Arrakis2 speakers superseded by an updated Hyperion...

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
I have been wondering the same thing. My previous hypothesis was that the audiotechnology drivers used in RP help contribute to good sound. The new drivers do not look like audiotech, or are they the new models?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Awesome looking speakers. i am a big fan of 3 way floorstanders with double woofers. My Venture CR8 Sig's have 2x8" and hit really hard, but clean.

Silverback

Jul 12, 2011
The simple answer to why the drivers are front mounted would be the fact that they can be. There is no advantage/ disadvantage to side firing woofers when crossed at such low frequencies, however the size of Rockport's drivers in the past have limited their ability to place a driver on the front baffle while still retaining a slim in-room profile.

The drivers in the Avior are new as well and designed by Andy Payor. The tweeter is the same dome used in the Altair.

My time listening to this speaker quickly proved that this is a superior contender with speakers in this price category.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I could see myself buying this one ,lol, it has nice lines and i like carbonfiber membrane,...(coloration)

and i havent bought a speaker for 6 years

Dont get me wrong i havent heard it but i am in the opinion that all membranetypes colour the sound , you just choose what you like

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Dont get me wrong i havent heard it but i am in the opinion that all membranetypes colour the sound , you just choose what you like

Couldn't have said it better :) Or are allergic too.

Drizmond

Jun 1, 2011
Couldn't have said it better :) Or are allergic too.

I have always thought so as well. Currently using Magnepans and have a deep respect for Rockports ability to minimize the box colorizations. The Aquilas which I have heard were magical, so count me in the camp that likes the sound of their carbon sandwich.

Duane

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
From a PM discussion with WBF member leyenda (posted with his permission):

"I have always admired the Rockport for its bass and mids, but would have liked a bit more sparkle in the highs (somewhat dark sounding as you put it in your post). I thought the Avior would rectify this with its berrylium tweeter so it was on my top shopping list. Turned out the Avior pair I heard had a very different presentation to the usual Rockport house sound so the journey continues."

and...

"The Aviors I heard was in a very small room. Bass was excellent - fast and tight. I even preferred the Avior bass to the Aquilla. Mids and highs were a let down to me. Beefy mids that I always like about the Rockport is gone. Voices that normally sound gorgeous on every models of Rockport from Mira to Altair is gone. I felt it was like a different speaker. The highs from the Berrylium tweeters really did open up, but to my taste, too much so. All in all, I would have accepted the Avior if it had the bass as it is, and the same old mids and highs, no need for that extra sparkle I originally dreamed of. It still sounds more pleasant than, say a Wilson Watt 8 that I really cannot stand listening for a long time, but perhaps my expectation was a bit too high in case of the Avior. The dealer asked me for a second audition, claiming that the speaker and set-up is more refined now, so I might give it another shot."

trponhunter

Apr 30, 2012
From a PM discussion with WBF member leyenda (posted with his permission):

"I have always admired the Rockport for its bass and mids, but would have liked a bit more sparkle in the highs (somewhat dark sounding as you put it in your post). I thought the Avior would rectify this with its berrylium tweeter so it was on my top shopping list. Turned out the Avior pair I heard had a very different presentation to the usual Rockport house sound so the journey continues."

and...

"The Aviors I heard was in a very small room. Bass was excellent - fast and tight. I even preferred the Avior bass to the Aquilla. Mids and highs were a let down to me. Beefy mids that I always like about the Rockport is gone. Voices that normally sound gorgeous on every models of Rockport from Mira to Altair is gone. I felt it was like a different speaker. The highs from the Berrylium tweeters really did open up, but to my taste, too much so. All in all, I would have accepted the Avior if it had the bass as it is, and the same old mids and highs, no need for that extra sparkle I originally dreamed of. It still sounds more pleasant than, say a Wilson Watt 8 that I really cannot stand listening for a long time, but perhaps my expectation was a bit too high in case of the Avior. The dealer asked me for a second audition, claiming that the speaker and set-up is more refined now, so I might give it another shot."

Well, I must say, I think ( no actually, I know) Leyenda has this one completely wrong.

A few months ago I went to Rockport and spent an afternoon and heard the entire line, back to back, in the same room, the same room location, with the same electronics - one right after the other. I heard the Arrakis, then Mira2 then Avor then Altair.

The Avior is not different from the Rockport house sound at all. As a matter of fact, I was stunned and how much the entire line sounded alike - down to the Mira2. The Avior was closer to the $97k Altair than it was compared to the Mira2.

When you do the comparisons in the same room at the same time - things become real clear. You are not listening to a total sound of room, equipment and speaker and trying to figure out what is contributing - when compared like I mentioned, you can be real sure, real quick.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Trophunter, welcome to WBF!

Thanks for posting your impressions. Given you went through so much of the rockport line in the same room with the same electronics that is a pretty solid basis to form impressions from. Glad to hear the avior does not deviate from the rockport house sound.

What are your impressions of the scanspeak D30 soft dome tweeter vs the new SS beryllium tweeter? I.e. the treble of the mira 2 vs. the avior? I find on my ankaa's (D30) the high frequency detail to be present and extended but not very spotlit, I would have preferred slightly more emphasis. Is there a little more 'sparkle' with the beryllium tweeters?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing