Avior

Sole Invictus

Feb 22, 2014
What I always find a disadvantage , is that when you change out 3 items at once , speakers/poweramps/preamp you never really know what changed the sound for the better or worse .
If you change one at a time over an extended time period you get to know each component better , at least that's how I try to do it .
Funny what you said about the kondo pre , I heard the M1000 once or twice and kind of had the same impression voluptuous /colourfull but not exactly neutral

You are right. But in my case, I just wanted a whole new direction, nothing to do with the previous sonic signature. I can't say my new system will be completely better than my previous one, I just want a change for the sake of it. Maybe it's like when you are in heaven for too long, you get bored and want to go down to earth :)

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hello all,

It's great to hear all the positive comments about the Rockport and Avior in particular. I have ordered a pair of Avior and just can't wait!!

Hi,

Just reporting that I have jumped onto the Avior bandwagon as well and eagerly awaiting my pair. My impatience does get the better of me though resulting in weekly calls to Andy Payor - must say the man does have a sense of humor to keep up with my weekly pestering!
By the way, your pair shud have arrived by now isn't it? Please let us know your impressions.

Cheers

Sujay

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi,

Just reporting that I have jumped onto the Avior bandwagon as well and eagerly awaiting my pair. My impatience does get the better of me though resulting in weekly calls to Andy Payor - must say the man does have a sense of humor to keep up with my weekly pestering!
By the way, your pair shud have arrived by now isn't it? Please let us know your impressions.

Cheers

Sujay

Congrats Sujay! Big, big fan of Rockports! Pls keep us posted. Meanwhile, what other speakers did you consider...and how did the Aviors compare? Thanks for any insight.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Congrats Sujay! Big, big fan of Rockports! Pls keep us posted. Meanwhile, what other speakers did you consider...and how did the Aviors compare? Thanks for any insight.

Hi,

Thanks! Really kicked by the enthusiasm that rockport speakers generate. It was really up against the Magico S5. Honestly, I quite liked the coherence of the Aviors over the S5, which by the way are great speakers in their own right. I also auditioned the Q5. For some reason though the Q5 did not move me to tears - perhaps something to do with the amplification. I was quite surprised that the Soulution 500 series stereo power amp could be over-driven while hooked upto the S5.
Back to Avior....the sound is really more fleshed out, in my view, compared to the S5 with great off-axis response. The S5 I thought had more lush vocals though and deeper soundstage although this could be due to speaker positioning and room properties. What struck a chord with me was that the room in which I heard the Aviors was largely untreated and quite cluttered, besides being small. And in spite of these shortcomings I was thrilled by the Aviors. Brain Damage, Dark Side of the Moon and Tin Pan Alley (SRV) gave me goosebumps, which I haven't experienced before. Also, the sound from the Avior was more integrated. For eg I cud hear the bass 'slightly separated' in the S5, which sounded more homogeneous and integrated through the Aviors.
quite honestly the decision to pick the Avior over the S5 was easier than I had thought.
Hope this helps.

Cheers

Sujay

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi,

Thanks! Really kicked by the enthusiasm that rockport speakers generate. It was really up against the Magico S5. Honestly, I quite liked the coherence of the Aviors over the S5, which by the way are great speakers in their own right. I also auditioned the Q5. For some reason though the Q5 did not move me to tears - perhaps something to do with the amplification. I was quite surprised that the Soulution 500 series stereo power amp could be over-driven while hooked upto the S5.
Back to Avior....the sound is really more fleshed out, in my view, compared to the S5 with great off-axis response. The S5 I thought had more lush vocals though and deeper soundstage although this could be due to speaker positioning and room properties. What struck a chord with me was that the room in which I heard the Aviors was largely untreated and quite cluttered, besides being small. And in spite of these shortcomings I was thrilled by the Aviors. Brain Damage, Dark Side of the Moon and Tin Pan Alley (SRV) gave me goosebumps, which I haven't experienced before. Also, the sound from the Avior was more integrated. For eg I cud hear the bass 'slightly separated' in the S5, which sounded more homogeneous and integrated through the Aviors.
quite honestly the decision to pick the Avior over the S5 was easier than I had thought.
Hope this helps.

Cheers

Sujay

Great comments...thanks! I have never heard the Aviors but am a huge fan of the 3 Rockports I have heard. I also agree on the S5. Have heard Q5 a few times as well though not auditioned super-seriously. My appreciation of Rockport has only grown as I have heard more of them and more often...

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Congrats Sujay. When is D Day ?
I can assure you you are going to be one happy audiophile .
Cheers
Pradeep

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Congrats Sujay. When is D Day ?
I can assure you you are going to be one happy audiophile .
Cheers
Pradeep
Hey, thanks Pradeep. Great to hear from you. I still don't have a definitive date from Andy but looks like within the next 2 weeks they shud be home. I just can't wait!

Cheers

Sujay

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Hey, thanks Pradeep. Great to hear from you. I still don't have a definitive date from Andy but looks like within the next 2 weeks they shud be home. I just can't wait!

Cheers

Sujay
That's great news. Have you decided what's the first piece of music you are going to play on the Aviors ?
Cheers
Pradeep

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
That's great news. Have you decided what's the first piece of music you are going to play on the Aviors ?
Cheers
Pradeep

I must say, that is a tough question. I never gave it a thought. Come to think of it, most likely I will chosse randomly, lest I shud be afflicted by decision paralysis!

It's quite a great build-up of excitement!! I will also need to figure out how I am going to move them around when I place them to get the best positioning.

Cheers

Sujay

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
After owning Wilsons for years(Sophia 2s, 3s, and Sashas), I can honestly say the Aviors are one of only two speakers I would like to own. Ironically I've learned to respect Rockport by listening to Revel speakers. I currently have Revel F208s, but my next speakers will be either Aviors or most likely due to cost, Revel Salon 2s. I've come to respect and prefer speakers that draw you into the music!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
After owning Wilsons for years(Sophia 2s, 3s, and Sashas), I can honestly say the Aviors are one of only two speakers I would like to own. Ironically I've learned to respect Rockport by listening to Revel speakers. I currently have Revel F208s, but my next speakers will be either Aviors or most likely due to cost, Revel Salon 2s. I've come to respect and prefer speakers that draw you into the music!

As a Wilson owner and admirer, I too have found music in Rockports.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
I must say, that is a tough question. I never gave it a thought. Come to think of it, most likely I will chosse randomly, lest I shud be afflicted by decision paralysis!

It's quite a great build-up of excitement!! I will also need to figure out how I am going to move them around when I place them to get the best positioning.

Cheers

Sujay
Sujay
It all depends on your flooring. If you have carpets, then it will be a hassle. OTH, if you have a hard floor, positioning the Aviors is a breeze. They have solid rounded spikes, not the pointy sort, that glide over a hardwood floor.
NJoy
Pradeep

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
My Altair's needed furniture sliders for carpet...worked very well...cost just a few bucks at the local hardware store..

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi everyone,

The wait is finally over! The Aviors are home, all set up and playing in all glory! These speakers are heavy and absolutely incredible to behold! For starters, the photos don't even begin to do justice. Ok, so listening impressions eh? I am speechless. There are so many things that I don't know where to begin and they have only been running now for about 15-20 hours non-stop. Let me give u my first impressions ( relative to what I have been used to)

- the bass output is heart thumpingly frightening! The way the speaker pressurises the room is brutal - period! This is not faint hearted stuff. At least this is the first time I have experienced such incredulous bass in my room.
- more detail and flesh. This is an understatement
- they simply disappear, despite their bulk. Haven't experienced this before.
- I now know what Pradeep means by saying ' it feels like there is no crossover '
- absolutely, absolutely no distortion
- fast, fast, very fast
- no, absolutely no cabinet vibration even at ridiculously high volumes. Now I know why mass matters.

These notwithstanding, above all, I now know what my front end electronics are capable of. I had no idea till now what The burmester 911 monos could do. And while I am in a bit of a stupor right now with what hit me, I will keep posting my impressions as these incredible speakers continue to break in. Heaven help!

Cheers

Sujay

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That is absolutely fantastic news Sujay! Congrats!!!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Wonderful news, Sujay - congratulations!

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Wonderful news Sujay. You are in for a superb ride with an incredible speaker. A keeper for sure.
Pradeep
Founder-President Avior Admiration Society

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Congrats Sujay on your new, terrific Rockports. You should enjoy great sound with those speakers. They are right up there in an exalted list of high end speakers.

Cheers,
Bodhi

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Thanks everyone!! Right now I have a silly grin on my face akin to a child with a new toy! Absolutely loving every moment.

Cheers

Sujay

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Radio silence for a week.
Have you sold the Aviors ?
Pradeep

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing