Health Search 15 Surprising Ways to Improve Your Cholesterol

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I found this article to be somewhat simplistic but informative nonetheless

The Fountain of Youth may be fiction, but there really is a magic gene pool in northern Italy. A few decades ago, researchers discovered that, despite unhealthy cholesterol levels, 40 inhabitants of the village of Limone sul Garda were seemingly immune to heart disease. Turns out it wasn't the famed Mediterranean diet at work, but rather a variation of a protein in HDL cholesterol (the good kind) called ApoA-1 Milano. In less scientific terms, the villagers were born with self-cleaning arteries........

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/menshealth/top-15-ways-improve-your-cholesterol

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I found this article to be somewhat simplistic but informative nonetheless

The Fountain of Youth may be fiction, but there really is a magic gene pool in northern Italy. A few decades ago, researchers discovered that, despite unhealthy cholesterol levels, 40 inhabitants of the village of Limone sul Garda were seemingly immune to heart disease. Turns out it wasn't the famed Mediterranean diet at work, but rather a variation of a protein in HDL cholesterol (the good kind) called ApoA-1 Milano. In less scientific terms, the villagers were born with self-cleaning arteries........

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/menshealth/top-15-ways-improve-your-cholesterol

Also of interest is that cardiologists are finding not all LDL is created equal eg. small and large LDL particles.

http://www.heartpoint.com/cholesadvanced.html

Based on this, some argue that butter is not the demon it's made out to be because it contributes to large, not small LDL particles.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Before I open that...is there any alchohol in there? There needs to be some alchohol in there.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
There is one in there in the form of "policosanol." Never heard of it before. Anyone have data to share on that?

BTW, I feel good as I do a number of things they listed from eating lots of nuts to Cranberry juice. But there is a lot more on that list which I am going to try.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
other than acquiring good genes from one's relatives there isn't much one can do to truly elevate one's HDL level so "policosanols" look promising

#3 of your post showed that exercising large muscle groups raised HDL by 19%. If you're at 50, then that would roughly bring you to 60. I think that's an appreciable increase esp. as docs would like to 60 rather than 50 nowadays. Now whether it's genes or exercising but my doc said he had never seen HDL levels as high as mine :)

OTOH, it must be in the genes too about blood pressure :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing