Top ten most important turntables

class a

Jul 10, 2011
TTWeights of canada makes a rim drive TT for about $4400. I've never had the pleasure to hear one. Does anyone know how it compares to the VPI version?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Let's talk a little about rim drive and how it could be superior. Intutitively it seems having a rim drive the platter would be inherently noisy.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Let's talk a little about rim drive and how it could be superior. Intutitively it seems having a rim drive the platter would be inherently noisy.

Why? The rim drive is essentially a flywheel and then the rim drive and platter are separated by a rubber belt?

The table actually sounds quieter with the rim drive :)

Last edited:

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com

Greg,

Originally and until relatively recently Chris Brady of Teres Audio was a proponent and manufacturer of belt drive turntables. With the introduction of the Teres Certus direct drive turntables Chris re-examined things and later replaced the belt drive motors for his less expensive turntables with the Verus Direct Coupled (rim drive) motor. He offered the less expensive turntables with this motor and later discontinued all making of Teres Turntables but the Certus Direct Drive models. He still offers the Verus Direct Coupled II (rim drive) motor for interested turntable owners. Below is a link to the Teres Verus Direct Coupled II motor:

http://www.teresaudio.com/verus-motor.html

Below is a link to a white paper that Chris has written regarding the performance of both the Certus Direct Drive and the Verus Direct Coupled motors:

http://www.teresaudio.com/manuals/teres_speed_tech.pdf

By the way, I feel fortunate to have the third, and what now appears to be the last of the Teres Certus 450 Direct Drive Turntables:

and with the older and more expensive designed Certus Control box:

Rich

Last edited:

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
If we are talking about historical significance as it is applied to influencing the art for better or worse...

Here's my opinion, in no particular order. (Turntables that plug into the wall.)

1) Garrard 301
2) Empire 208
3) Dual 1019
4) Rek-O-Kut L-34
5) Thorens TD124
6) Thorens TD150
7) EMT 927
8) AR XA
9) Technics SP10 MKII
10) Rabco ST-4

Last edited:

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
I'm a big fan of the TD124, and have another on its way. Not having Garrard 301 on the list is odd, but does open for discussion. I also find Bg4000 on the list, a fantastic turntable that was very influential, and is very sought after today. I let a perfect, mint condition one go to an acquaintance who is very pleased with it - I do have another two in storage!

BTW - Bg4000 are crazy sought after these days, prices are shooting up and professional buyers are scouring Denmark for them.

Anerol

Sep 29, 2012
Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland
Thorens Reference and Transrotor Iron

I might be wrong but in my memory the Thorens Reference is the first cost no object design ever?!? Isn't that a reason to put him on the list here. Thereafter almost all producers came up with a Reference product.

The Thorens was originally designed for the purpose of being the internal reference for new Thorens products. Only after people had seen it and forced Thorens to sell them one a real limited production has been agreed. Even if it may not be or maybe has never been the best TT in the World (who cares anyway) it opened a door for reference products which have been projects from which we benefitted in one way or the other.

A second and only personal contender for the most important turntable is the Transrotor Iron. Why, it was my choice together with a Dynavector 505 to re-enter the world of vinyl after I had left it for the than great digital future. I sold this one already two times and buy it back each time ?!?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing