Top ten most important turntables

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
What are your top ten Most Significant Turntables/?
HP's top ten in this months tas.*

1. Thorens TD 124
2. Acoustic research XA
3. Linn Sondek LP 12
4. Sony TTS-3000
5. B&O 4OOO
6. Goldmund Reference
7. Versa Dynamics 2.0

CURRENTLY AVAILABLE
8. Magnetic-drive Discmaster
9. VPI Scoutmaster
10. Clearaudio Statement
The magazine has its' own top ten along with all the writers.

*Note the absence of the Sota Star. Becker and HP had a falling out.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
He forgot the Forsell Airforce One :(

I have owned 1. and 3. in the past. Not bad.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What are your top ten Most Significant Turntables/?
HP's top ten in this months tas.*

1. Thorens TD 124
2. Acoustic research XA
3. Linn Sondek LP 12
4. Sony TTS-3000
5. B&O 4OOO
6. Goldmund Reference
7. Versa Dynamics 2.0

CURRENTLY AVAILABLE
8. Magnetic-drive Discmaster
9. VPI Scoutmaster
10. Clearaudio Statement
The magazine has its' own top ten along with all the writers.

*Note the absence of the Sota Star. Becker and HP had a falling out.

I was never a SOTA fan :)

Brain dump:

I think leaving the SME off the list is a real oversight.
The Forsell was good when it worked--which wasn't often enough.
I do remember a lot of debate in those days in TAS over the PL tt too.
What about the Mapleknoll or Oracle?
No Rockport?
Somehow Rega should be in there because many audiophiles began their vinyl journey with Roy's tt.

I'm also curious how many among the currently available crop HP's heard eg. Walker, Continuum, etc.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
IMO the SOTA was never a finished product. Rega and Oracle are mentioned in the other lists.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
IMO the SOTA was never a finished product. Rega and Oracle are mentioned in the other lists.

Oh and I forgot Basis for SOTA contenders.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Rich I should have been more specific. tas a list. HP has a list and all the writers have a list. I don't think I saw the Lenco either.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Shouldn't Garrard be on the list with something like the 301 or the 401?

Rich

This is why mags liking doing 10 best pieces :) It always engenders discussion. It's like Jayson Stark's The Stark Truth where he rates the 10 most underrated and 10 most overrated players at each position over the history of the modern era of baseball. Agree or disagree, going to debate his choices :)

I'm sure there's a lot of European tables that never were distributed widely here that might merit consideration. The Gale, a tt many consider the forerunner of the AR. Then there's the Pink Triangle, Verdier, Transrotor, etc. Actually, it seems that Germany is the vinyl/turntable capitol of the world!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
BTW Greg---great post!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I recall thinking the Basis was just a big hunk of plastic. Until i heard.

AJ knows his stuff :) Remember hearing his first prototype some 20 or 25 years ago :)

I know I would like to hear his new tts.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This is my favorite Basis

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI All,
Well, of course I Must mention Sota since I've had one for about 20 years. I think their vacuum turntables were (are ) among the best available. I have had the Star Sapphire and currently the Nova with the Cosmos arm board. Don't under rate them. They are good.

And one really can't have this discussion without considering the mating tone arm. Synergy is everything. My Nova has always had an Eminent Technology ET 2 (now ET2.5) arm. This is a great combination.

The other one left out that I have good things to say about is my Oracle Delphi V with another ET2.5. This one has my Lyra Skala on it.

I also recently bought a Thorens TD125 on which I mounted a Graham 2.2 Deluxe arm. As I have always thought, the TD 125 is a wonderful turntable. Vastly under rated, me thinks. I believe it is much better than the TD 124 which I owned back in its heyday with an SME 3009. Too much rumble but I certainly like its looks. I would own one now as a display piece but for the stupid prices they are going for.

Sparky

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I didn't own any of them, but I did and still own the successor to the Thorens TD 124, the Thorens TD 125 MKII (actually 2 or 3 generations later).

Rich

Great turntable. I also owned one, and as I never had an adequate plinth for the TD124, the TD125 sounded much better ...
Anyway you can think replacing it with a Chinese made Thorens Reference :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorens-Reference-re-edition-/170668613872?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bca460f0

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I recall thinking the Basis was just a big hunk of plastic. Until i heard.

Another table that I think sounds real nice is the big Kuzma. Fremer gave a great review to the pivoted arm in SP but personally like their air bearing arm. Plus the table is eye candy.

http://www.stereophile.com/turntables/407kuzma/index.html

My question: was MF actually hearing what the Titan i sounds like in the Kuzma and the Continuum covered it up or vice versa?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Not that they were the best by any stretch but if you are talking about TTs that were an important piece of audio history then Dual should be mentioned.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Not that they were the best by any stretch but if you are talking about TTs that were an important piece of audio history then Dual should be mentioned.

I had a 1009 with the idler drive in college :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Not bad either.

Attachments

• 03..jpg
    03..jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 803

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing