I have both of those Rich and agree
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Addicted To Best
    Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I thought I was reading a post from Frank until I read the second sentence.
    Tsk, tsk...

I might have to get some of that terrible new wave stuff that Jack suffers listening to. Jack, give me your best shot! What's something I can scatter the neighbourhood with?

Frank

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Anything released by Rhino in the early 90s pretty much fits the bill. The LPs from the 80s were pretty nasty too so I'm not blaming the CD per se. Squashed down in FR to 192kbps somehow they are less objectionable. Go figure.

Addicted To Best
    Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
    Anything released by Rhino in the early 90s pretty much fits the bill. The LPs from the 80s were pretty nasty too so I'm not blaming the CD per se. Squashed down in FR to 192kbps somehow they are less objectionable. Go figure.
    Now that's rather telling ... I'm not into genre naming, so I have a reasonable amount of that material without realising what you meant, and I'm aware of what you're talking about. They can be "difficult" recordings, because they have been mastered to have a very big, intense and complex sound which can be difficult to unravel. Luckily, they are the very recordings that benefit most from fully sorting out a system, and form quite mammoth and intricate soundscapes.

In one sense they are the ideal recordings to demo a system's capabilities, firstly because they demonstrate that you know what you're doing, and secondly because they are quite astonishingly impressive and overwhelming ...

Frank

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
    I find that with a lot of modern pop music as well. I hear something that my wife's playing on the iPad and like it - and then I get the CD or even the vinyl, and end up preferring the mp3. I've got the Adele 21 in mp3 and CD and prefer the mp3. I've got the vinyl on the way, and I'm hoping that it will be better than the mp3. Same thing with the album Lungs by Florence & the Machine. Loved what I heard on mp3, disappointed on CD, and managed to find the vinyl.

If I can get hold of a Burmester Ph100 before RMAF, I'll rip the albums to 24/96 for demo If they are better than the mp3's.....

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
    Gary,

This XRCD2 would make a great demo CD:

http://www.marecordings.com/main/pro...roducts_id=117

This would also be a very good demo:

Rich
    Thanks, Rich. I have Sera Una Noche, but I didn't know that they had an XRCD of it. It's one of my regular demo's already. Lovely music and a great recording. I don't have that particular Kitaro and will have to get it.

Addicted To Best
    Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    I find that with a lot of modern pop music as well. I hear something that my wife's playing on the iPad and like it - and then I get the CD or even the vinyl, and end up preferring the mp3. I've got the Adele 21 in mp3 and CD and prefer the mp3. I've got the vinyl on the way, and I'm hoping that it will be better than the mp3. Same thing with the album Lungs by Florence & the Machine. Loved what I heard on mp3, disappointed on CD, and managed to find the vinyl.
    Again, interesting. Because new wave and later pop has been mastered to take no prisoners the slightest problem with a high end system is highlighted with a searchlight, so there are three solutions: never play this material; soften the edges using mp3 or cables and room treatments; or completely eliminate all audible weaknesses from the system ...

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
    Now that's rather telling ... I'm not into genre naming, so I have a reasonable amount of that material without realising what you meant, and I'm aware of what you're talking about. They can be "difficult" recordings, because they have been mastered to have a very big, intense and complex sound which can be difficult to unravel. Luckily, they are the very recordings that benefit most from fully sorting out a system, and form quite mammoth and intricate soundscapes.

In one sense they are the ideal recordings to demo a system's capabilities, firstly because they demonstrate that you know what you're doing, and secondly because they are quite astonishingly impressive and overwhelming ...

Frank
    Actually it's the opposite. The recordings are limp and lifeless. This is pretty much a garage band genre chock full of one hit wonders. No surprise then that recordings themselves are amateurish from the get go. The music also used lots of synths. To frame this properly, multi-voice polyphony was in it's infancy and I could swear a lot of these guys were using very basic MIDI. Some General MIDI even. Yikes.

I posted a thread on my disappointment with the Adele 21 LP Gary.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast