Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The "Show Music" Thread

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar

Cool The "Show Music" Thread

With the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest coming up, I thought that it would be nice to discuss what we would like to hear at a show besides the usual audiophile cr*p that seems prevalent.

I'm looking for suggestions...... and hoping that it can be a better show for all. When you make a suggestion, please suggest also a track (CD or LP) and why you think that it should be played at a show.

Thanks!

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! jazdoc's Avatar
    Gary,

Why not put a Diana Krall disc on continous play like half the exhibitors

Here are a few suggestions:

'Bluesville' by Count Basie
    From 88 Basie Street, Pablo 2310-091, 1984 (or the Analogue Productions 45 rpm reissue).
    Very challenging muted trumpet. Will tell you whether the system can 'swing'

'Windowpane' by Opeth
    From "Damnation", Koch Records, 2003
    Can the system resolve the cymbals?

"Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)" by Duke Ellington and Ella Fitzgerald
    From "Ella & Duke At Cote d'Azur", Mosaic Records, 2010
    Great test for female vocals...Ella is in fine voice and relaxed. Great test for soundstaging ability. Do Sam Woodyard's drums sound natural?

"My Favorite Things" by Sarah Vaughan
    From 'After Hours' Roulette, R52070, 1955 (mono)
    You'll know if the mid range is on. Great supporting bass work from Ray Brown.

"Chelsea Bridge" & "The Cat Walk" by Gerry Mulligan and Ben Webster
    From "Mulligan Meets Webster", side 1, ORG reissue, 2009
    Does the system convey the unique tone and technique of both sax players. Does Leroy Vinnegar's bass walk? Is the piano on the right lateral to the speaker?

"Jeopardy" by Greg Kihn
    From "Kihnspiracy", Beserkley, 1983
    Can you hear the bass playing triplets? Great for cymbals.

"Direct From LA" by The Great Jazz Trio
    EastWind 1977
    Entire LP is a sonic tour de force. Tony Williams must have slipped the engineer an extra $20 because this is a spectacular drum recording. Does the system move enough air to make the kick drum realistic? Ron Carter's bass is also extremely well recorded.

Got more if you want 'em....
    Last edited by jazdoc; 09-14-2011 at 04:56 PM.

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Thanks, JazzDoc. That's a great start. I don't have the last 3 albums, so I'll have to get them. Gotta sell more speakers so that I can buy more music

Addicted To Best
    Gary, the London Cast Recording of The Phantom of the Opera, with Crawford and Brightman, 831 273-2, is a real show off piece. It sounds very impressive even when a system is not totally on song: lots of light and shade, very well recorded with many quite intense effects. If you can turn up the volume on this without problems you'll have people running towards you from all directions ...

There are no individual tracks, just disk 1 and 2

BTW, the brain DID slip a gear when I read the name of the thread: thought "Broadway" show, but my recommendation still stands ...

Frank
    Last edited by fas42; 09-14-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Addicted To Best
    On a jazz note, a CD with very clean audiophile sound, "the Trio" from '94, Chiaroscuro CR(D) 332: piano, bass, drums, lots of standards played with real class. Recorded and mastered, I've just discovered, by Rudy Van Gelder: that should push some people's buttons ...

Frank

Thanks, Frank. I've got that - and yes, the London Cast recording is the best. I also like the London Cast recording of Cats. But IMHO both are too long to play. I also like the FIM recording of the Highlights of Jekyll and Hyde.

They played this for me in the NOLA room last year at RMAF. It was a crowd pleaser. I don't know what speaker you are bringing. The better the system the better it sounds http://www.amazon.com/Cruel-Intentio.../dp/B00000I7JR.,

Cut #5 Colorblind

Enjoy.
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friendly to one, and enemy to none.
    Benjamin Franklin

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Clarke...6127641&sr=1-4

This has always drawn a crowd when played at the hi-fi store.
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friendly to one, and enemy to none.
    Benjamin Franklin

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Warriors-...mm_acs_title_0

The Jimi Hendrix Classic Castles in the Sand by Tuck and Patti or Cyndi Lauper Time after also by Tuck and Patti. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ref=dm_dp_trk4
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks, Greg. More CD's to buy...... unless you are suggesting that I get the Tuck & Patti mp3's. I've found that when the CD isn't very well mastered or recorded, the mp3 can sound more pleasant than the CD. But I guess saying that is heresy for an audiophile.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast