Krell Saga

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My KBL preamp arrived at Krell today for repair. I just returned from a freight company in Indy where I dropped off the KSA-250 for shipment back to Krell. It is supposed to arrive on Wednesday. I may have 6-8 weeks before I see either piece again. I am relieved that I delivered the KSA-250 to the frieght company as I was dreading that. And Gavin, I had to be somewhere in your neck of the woods as I drove on 67 from Martinsville to Indy. Are you close to Gray Brothers?

I called my electrician and left him a message that I want to have a dedicated 20 amp circuit installed for the KSA-250. Hopefully I can pull that off before the Krells come home.

I'm looking at a new amp stand for the KSA-250 and I'm thinking about the Adona AV45 with the 19' x 24" platform.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
My KBL preamp arrived at Krell today for repair. I just returned from a freight company in Indy where I dropped off the KSA-250 for shipment back to Krell. It is supposed to arrive on Wednesday. I may have 6-8 weeks before I see either piece again. I am relieved that I delivered the KSA-250 to the frieght company as I was dreading that. And Gavin, I had to be somewhere in your neck of the woods as I drove on 67 from Martinsville to Indy. Are you close to Gray Brothers?

I called my electrician and left him a message that I want to have a dedicated 20 amp circuit installed for the KSA-250. Hopefully I can pull that off before the Krells come home.

I'm looking at a new amp stand for the KSA-250 and I'm thinking about the Adona AV45 with the 19' x 24" platform.

Mark,

Good luck with the Krells and the 20 amp line. I don't think that you will be disappointed with the Adona AV45. How many shelves do you want or are you just going with the amp stand? Each platform can support about 300 pounds and Paul is great to deal and work with.

Rich

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Rich. I'm just looking for an amp stand right now. I guess I didn't realize they are stackable.

Mark

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Are you close to Gray Brothers? I'd be close enough to Gray Bros. if I lived out of state. Yes, 20 minutes north.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Thanks Rich. I'm just looking for an amp stand right now. I guess I didn't realize they are stackable.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Paul has lots of options depending upon what you want. He can have them as a single amp stand, he can make them stackable with the proper discs, and he can make them for specific lengths of extrusion. At one time I had them made up so I had both stack-able and a single rack, but reconfigured things for my new room so that they were all separate racks in specific lengths.

Rich

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Since some people are interested in Krell's service, I thought I would update this thread to show when both of my Krell pieces arrived back at Krell for service. The KBL preamp arrived Monday, 12 Sep 2011 and the KSA-250 arrived on Thursday, 15 Sep 2011. I was told to expect a 6-8 week turnaround. I hope they beat that. I'm going to have to call another electrician as the guy who wired my addition hasn't returned my phone call. My back wall where all of my gear sits is all wired on a 20 amp circuit, but I want to have a dedicated 20 amp outlet for the KSA-250 to make sure it can suck all of the juice it wants/needs.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
A quick thought: I would suggest getting the absolutely highest amperage circuit installed that you possibly can, and want to, afford. Because you actually want that current? No, because it means that the electrician will install the highest quality materials all the way through from the box to the wall socket, and this could make quite a substantial difference.

Frank

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
We are kind of limited by the type of outlet we use vs the size of wire it can accomodate. But, you make a good point in asking for the thickest wire possible to the outlet Frank man.

Tom
Don't know how it works in the states but there would likely be conventionally configured outlets that would do 30, 40, whatever amps to suit various types of engineering machinery.

Frank

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I would think the limiting factor might be the cost of copper. Going from 10 to 8 gauge isn't free. How long is the run from your breaker box to the proposed outlet, Mark?

Lee

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
When the electrician put in my Equi=tech wall cabinet and ran the 10/3 stranded JPS in-wall cable in our rooms, the wire wouldn't fit into the outlets. I had him crimp/solder and heat shink gold spades to the wires so they could use the side terminals of the Oyaide R-1 outlets.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
In the US, is wiring in-wall single core or stranded, and/or do you have a choice?

Frank

I believe as long as it has the UL approval and the local inspector signs off on it, you're good!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Romex cable is single core used for in wall on the East coast of USA.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Out here either is fine so long as it meets code; I suspect the electricians choose whichever is cheapest and/or easiest to work with at the time. I noticed a mix of solid and stranded was used for different runs in our basement finishing a couple of years ago, but all the main wiring was stranded and the electrician told me it was easier to route "in the open"; solid is easier to fish (natch).

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Romex cable

Attachments

• 949f9133-8672-4bda&#45.jpg
    949f9133-8672-4bda&#45.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 181

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Lee-It would be around 50' due to the twists and turns. I finally reached my electrician today who wired my stereo room when it was built. He gave me the bad news that there is no way to fish a cable from my breaker box (which is located in the utility closet in my stereo room) to my wall where all of my gear is. He said he will have to run the cable above the baseboard behind my gear and they have some type of channel that goes over it so you don't see the cable itself. Too bad I didn't have enough foresight to have a bunch of 20 amp dedicated outlets run on that wall. The good news is that the cable will be basically hidden behind all of my gear. The bad news is that it won't be in the damn wall.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
The bad news is that it won't be in the damn wall.
That's a bugger! Especially because with only a cover over it it will be more subject to vibration effects in the room. I would definitely go single or solid core now, and have the sparky (electrician) secure it to the wall as tightly and as rigidly as possibly he can. You want the cable to be set up as much as possible so it is totally immovable and stabilises in a certain position, this is a key part of what cable burn-in, if you believe in such, helps with.

Frank

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Lee-It would be around 50' due to the twists and turns. I finally reached my electrician today who wired my stereo room when it was built. He gave me the bad news that there is no way to fish a cable from my breaker box (which is located in the utility closet in my stereo room) to my wall where all of my gear is. He said he will have to run the cable above the baseboard behind my gear and they have some type of channel that goes over it so you don't see the cable itself. Too bad I didn't have enough foresight to have a bunch of 20 amp dedicated outlets run on that wall. The good news is that the cable will be basically hidden behind all of my gear. The bad news is that it won't be in the damn wall.

Mark,

You have no crawl area above the ceiling evidently. I had 4 20 amp circuits run from my breaker box to my equipment,about 70 feet and fished down a common wall. I felt sorry for the young man that did it,he cussed all the way. There was only about 2 1/2 feet clearance the entire distance. Your option is not as clean looking of course,but will be fine and worth doing with that big krell.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Krell SAGA would be a great name for a new product.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing