c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Please! Decorum

Sam,

Apex? You meant 'Ampex', right? :)

Here's two more:

P.S. Sam, you are definitively the funniest troubadour in here. :p:D

prevents me from contemplating another deck manufacturer whilst I search for a mate to my Studer :rolleyes::D

Thanks for the CD recs :cool:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Piano..... my favourite instrument. This is getting VERY expensive!!

Gary,

I think it's cheaper than when you kids hint at you to buy a baby grand piano. ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If someone asks me what is the more frequently played piano recording in my system, I have to answer it is not an LP:eek:, it is this CD:

Attachments

• zzz..jpg
    zzz..jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sell speakers, buy music, sell speakers, buy music, sell speakers, buy music. Gotta stop buying music to save for a retirement :D

Kinda like a drug dealer snorting the profits up their nose :)

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Oh! That looks good

If someone asks me what is the more frequently played piano recording in my system, I have to answer it is not an LP:eek:, it is this CD:

Thanks, micro :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks for the new postings, guys. More music to look for. ;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
I get nothing from audiophile recordings of mediocre performances or virtuoso performances of mediocre music. I'm recommending recordings I especially enjoy listening to.

O'Conor playing Beethoven Piano sonatas on the Telarc label has fine piano tone and performances I like above others for many of the sonatas. Op. 2 No. 1,2,3. Op. 49 No. 1,2 and No .21 ("Les Adiex") and 26 ("Walstein") are special favorites. Often cheap on Berkshire Record Outlet and used on Amazon.

Rudolf Serkin playing the Beethoven "Moonlight", "Appassionata" and "Pathetique" sonatas have been favorites for decades. The LP was fine and the CD is also fine.

Lili Kraus on Sony is a favorite for the Mozart Piano Sonatas. The mono set on M&A has some performances that are better than those in the Sony set.

Eugene List plays Gottschalk piano music like nobody else. (Vanguard)

Brendel is a winner for Haydn piano Sonatas (Philips and now Decca.) Schubert too.

Brahms waltzes Op. 39 are wonderful music, especially the next to the last one (#15 in A flat major). Steven Kovacevich plays well and has pretty good sound.

Buy the Decca Katchen / Brahms box and you get lots of fine Brahms piano music.

Brahms Hungarian dances and Dvorak Slavonic Dances played as piano / four hands music is great stuff. Brendel / Walter Klien on Vox produced very flavorful performances and the Vox sound is acceptable. Tal / Groethuysen have better recorded sound for the Brahms Hungarian Dances (and good sound for the Op. 39 waltzes. Ingrid Thorson and Julian Thurber have fine sound and quite good performances.

Rubinstein on RCA is a fine choice for all the Chopin he recorded. Sony has recently released a box set of all his modern recordings made for the RCA label. Cheap!

Malcuzynski on EMI is perhaps even better for the Chopin mazurkas he recorded.

Alicia De Larrocha is the gold standard for Albeniz and Granados (and Manuel de Falla). The recent EMI Icon set has much better sound than previous EMI releases of these performances. Reasonably cheap when I bought it. The performances on Decca are somewhat more sedate but still very worthwhile..

Piano trio recordings often have fine piano sound. The Beaux Arts Trio set of Haydn Piano Trios has fine performances in good sound. The Stern / Istomin / Rose trio are very fine for the Beethoven "Archduke" trio. The Stern / Beethoven box on Sony is very cheap now. Heifetz and friends play the Beethoven Trio No. 1 in a youthful way that I haven't heard from others.

I've been listening to some of these recommendations as I read the thread and typed this post.

Bill

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Piano solo.

If someone asks me what is the more frequently played piano recording in my system, I have to answer it is not an LP:eek:, it is this CD: Limited Edition - CLAUDIO ARRAU - The Final Sessions: Volume 2 -> Debussy [Philips]

Hey what'd you know; another Claudio Arrau's fan! :) :cool:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I get nothing from audiophile recordings of mediocre performances or virtuoso performances of mediocre music. I'm recommending recordings I especially enjoy listening to.

O'Conor playing Beethoven Piano sonatas on the Telarc label has fine piano tone and performances I like above others for many of the sonatas. Op. 2 No. 1,2,3. Op. 49 No. 1,2 and No .21 ("Les Adiex") and 26 ("Walstein") are special favorites. Often cheap on Berkshire Record Outlet and used on Amazon.

Rudolf Serkin playing the Beethoven "Moonlight", "Appassionata" and "Pathetique" sonatas have been favorites for decades. The LP was fine and the CD is also fine.

Lili Kraus on Sony is a favorite for the Mozart Piano Sonatas. The mono set on M&A has some performances that are better than those in the Sony set.

Eugene List plays Gottschalk piano music like nobody else. (Vanguard)

Brendel is a winner for Haydn piano Sonatas (Philips and now Decca.) Schubert too.

Brahms waltzes Op. 39 are wonderful music, especially the next to the last one (#15 in A flat major). Steven Kovacevich plays well and has pretty good sound.

Buy the Decca Katchen / Brahms box and you get lots of fine Brahms piano music.

Brahms Hungarian dances and Dvorak Slavonic Dances played as piano / four hands music is great stuff. Brendel / Walter Klien on Vox produced very flavorful performances and the Vox sound is acceptable. Tal / Groethuysen have better recorded sound for the Brahms Hungarian Dances (and good sound for the Op. 39 waltzes. Ingrid Thorson and Julian Thurber have fine sound and quite good performances.

Rubinstein on RCA is a fine choice for all the Chopin he recorded. Sony has recently released a box set of all his modern recordings made for the RCA label. Cheap!

Malcuzynski on EMI is perhaps even better for the Chopin mazurkas he recorded.

Alicia De Larrocha is the gold standard for Albeniz and Granados (and Manuel de Falla). The recent EMI Icon set has much better sound than previous EMI releases of these performances. Reasonably cheap when I bought it. The performances on Decca are somewhat more sedate but still very worthwhile..

Piano trio recordings often have fine piano sound. The Beaux Arts Trio set of Haydn Piano Trios has fine performances in good sound. The Stern / Istomin / Rose trio are very fine for the Beethoven "Archduke" trio. The Stern / Beethoven box on Sony is very cheap now. Heifetz and friends play the Beethoven Trio No. 1 in a youthful way that I haven't heard from others.

I've been listening to some of these recommendations as I read the thread and typed this post.

Bill

Bill, your first paragraph; why are you mentioning that?

Bob

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Most of the recordings I mentioned would not be recommendable on sound quality only. I wanted to be clear on the basis for my choices. Something I think of as mediocre might seem quite the opposite to someone else.

Bill

I see now, thank you Bill. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing