What's Best in Piano Solo Recordings?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I will re-post a previous recommendation - if you want another exceptional piano performance look for DG447 431-2 : Maurizio Pollini playing three movements of Stravinsky Petrouchka’s , among others. You should guess the speed of Pollini fingers flying over the keyboard with less than 5% error if you have a good system :)

Attachments

• wbf..jpg
    wbf..jpg
    55 KB · Views: 118

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks everyone for posting, keep them coming.

Here is one of my all-time favorite pieces, 'Thanksgiving' by George Winston from the album 'December'. Great for meditation and reflection. Music for the mood. I told my daughter if she can complete this piece, (as she can play this half-way through now) I'm going to make her dream of owning a baby grand piano nearer - I'm bringing her to a friend of mine who has a baby grand so she can experience it. ;)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Christoph Eschenbach "Mozart Sonaten" DG 2720 001. 7 LP Tour De Force. Consistently remarkable.

Walter Davis Jr. "In Walked Thelonious" Mapleshade CD. It's Monk...but it's Walter Davis. A reviewer called it 'a visitation' and that's a pretty good description. Great choice of program material and possibly the best version of 'Green Chimneys' ever...

Geri Allen "Flying Toward The Sound" Motem 180 gm. (2010) Challenging music beautifully played. Worth seeking out.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Attachments

• z_wbf..jpg
    z_wbf..jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 108

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

I don't have SACD playback facility :rolleyes:
I'll monitor the thread for LP recs
:p

Sam, you're a real funny guy you know that! :)

...Only AAD on CDs? :p;):D

About AAA?

R-R (reel-to-reel)?

P.S. I'll see what I can do. ...You like Bach? Beethoven? Chopin? Mozart? Pachelbel?
{I do have a vast collection of Piano Solo CDs, so I'm sure AAD is in there somewhere...}

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Attachments

• z_wbf..jpg
    z_wbf..jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 89

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Some of the best solo piano recordings I've heard are Peter McGraths R2R tapes of Leonard Shure.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Gee how could I forget Nojima Plays List - I use that too and it gives me goose bumps every time - probably THE de-facto piano recording

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Thanks, Bob

Sam, you're a real funny guy you know that! :)

...Only AAD on CDs? :p;):D

About AAA?

R-R (reel-to-reel)?

P.S. I'll see what I can do. ...You like Bach? Beethoven? Chopin? Mozart? Pachelbel?
{I do have a vast collection of Piano Solo CDs, so I'm sure AAD is in there somewhere...}

I think - LOL ;)
I should probably begin my initiation of classiscal solo piano recordings (AAD --> RBCD) with the better-known and recognizable stuff...I do enjoy Ravel, Debussy, Mozart, Chopin, Beethoven...

Of course, AAA --> Reel would be the apex :p:D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Gee how could I forget Nojima Plays List - I use that too and it gives me goose bumps every time - probably THE de-facto piano recording

I have a few friends who use this as a 'reference' for solo piano evaluation.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Sam,

Apex? You meant 'Ampex', right? :)

Here's two more:

P.S. Sam, you are definitively the funniest troubadour in here. :p:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing