What do you guys think of these ribbon cables?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I run Verbatim bi-wire ribbon speaker cable in my 2ch system and love it. It's not braided like the ones in your link so can't attest to those. For less than $60 it's probably worth trying.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Verbatim is 2" flat ribbon, not stranded so yes I guess you could say it's solid. It's better than anything else I tried and I've tried many.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Verbatim is 2" flat ribbon, not stranded so yes I guess you could say it's solid. It's better than anything else I tried and I've tried many.

IME nothing can touch this for the money if you're after a cable that has hardly any frequency robbing sonic signatures. I'm never letting mine go. Too bad the company was stillborn. Some come up on the net occasionally, Gavin and Keith are a couple of guys I know that have been lucky enough to snag them. The ICs were just average though unlike the SCs which remain reference grade.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Ideally a flat solid ribbon will work better than stranded because it offers lower resistance/impedance due to its larger actual cross-sectional area. Stranded wires not isolated from each other do not offer any real reduction in skin effect and have greater open space in the bundle (so less actual wire); but they are easier to work with! A flat stranded wire, probably a flattened shield or grounding braid, sounds like an interesting thing to try.

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
Ideally a flat solid ribbon will work better than stranded because it offers lower resistance/impedance due to its larger actual cross-sectional area. Stranded wires not isolated from each other do not offer any real reduction in skin effect and have greater open space in the bundle (so less actual wire); but they are easier to work with! A flat stranded wire, probably a flattened shield or grounding braid, sounds like an interesting thing to try.

In practice I have found thinner the better.

Purity Audio Design 1

Oct 28, 2010
Endicott, NY
www.purityaudiodesign.com
I would not call the cables shown in the first thread ribbon cables. The look to be simply a stranded cables in a flat configuration (different winding technique). I is still a basic stranded cable and would not offer you anything more than any other stranded speaker cable. But no less either. Price doesn't seem too bad.

A flat, solid core cable would be more of a foil cable and have much different properties.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing