Rowland M725

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
That is correct, M725 is a monoblock amplifier derived from the M625 design. M725 and M625 share chassis, and have related, but not identical internals. M725 features some innovations not available on M625, such as 4-pole Jensen capacitors incorporated in a 1500W SSMPS prefixed by a PFC rectifier, and Mil Spec ceramic boards.

The power rating of each M725 monoblock is 330W over 8 Ohms, and 650W over 4 Ohms.

I do not know if the M725 units shown in HK are operational.... But according to Jeff Rowland, there is a good chance that we may be able to listen to an operational pair of m725 amps bridged to monoblocks in suite 2002 at RMAF in Denver, from October 14th through October 17th.

Last edited:

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Husk, according to the RMAF spreadsheet I downloaded from audiofest.net, the Aeris DAC is listed for booth 1004 (Tower Level 10). Rowland also exhibits with a static display in the lobby, units 21, 22, and 23 together with Blu Note Audio. Room 2002 is Avalon's.... Last year they featured Rowland Electronics, but I have no information on what electronics will drive Avalon this year. We will all know on Friday 14th. WIll you be there?

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
I'll know tomorrow if the M725 is shown also at RMAF... Let's hope.. I will not be able to attend the Tokyo show for sure! G.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Just returned from RMAF. M725 was not shown at the show. I have also learned that M725 will operate purely as a monoblock power amplifier, and will not be a bridgeable device at all. The power rating has not been announced, but it is being rumored that it may exceed the 3WW per channel of M625. G.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
M725 at Osaka High End Show

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
It has been also rumored that the M725 pair deployed at Osaka show are operative--but not production-level--prototypes. I have no information yet on sonic characteristics of the pair. If anyone knows anything more, or heard them, please post here. G.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
M725 has been released and has started to ship. List price seems to be around $28K USD. This means that whoever goes to CES will be able to listen to production-level devices. G.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Complete M725 features and specs have been posted to the Rowland Knowledge base at:

http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/kb/questions.php?questionid=592

Summarizing....

Mil Spec * Ceramic circuit boards.
* Composite class A/B circuit with separate gain stages for voltage and current, no overall feedback.
* Balanced from input to output.
* Copper Bus bars.
* Surface mounted componentry.
* Transformer coupled I/O.
* 1500W SMPS incorporating 4-pole capacitors and active Power Factor Correction (PFC) rectifier unit.
* Parallel binding posts for bi-wiring.
Power: 330W at 8 Ohms, 650 at 4 Ohms.
Input Impedance: 40K Ohms.
Damping factor: 200.
Inputs: Balanced XLR.
Power consumption idle: 85W.
Weight: 54 Lbs.

I have not seen an officially posted price yet, but last time I checked by phone, price was unofficially around $28K mark.

Guido

Last edited:

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
I expect to receive a pair of M725 monoblocks before the end of June. I will start to report my observations after they have arrived and have inserted them into the system. G.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Please do so Guido! It will be interesting to learn based on your experience.

clab

Feb 12, 2012
traveling but based in Switzerland
I have heard for first time two 725 driving Splendor speakers ...

as I don't know these loudspeakers and had no time to ask to hear to my Cds, I can only say this:

It was very nice, musical, warm sounding, the music had body, just a first positive impression

I wonder how they would match with Magico speakers like the Q3, V3 or S5

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi Claude, I have good reasons to suspect that M725 will do very well with Magico speakers, including larger models... Because I find their behavior with my Vienna Muzik to be stunning. Muzik are deceptive in their relatively high efficiency of 91dB, because they have a bit of a wild impedance curve. I find M725 to yield an even larger stage than M312, and definitely with a lot more refinement, definition, imaging, and harmonic congruence. Authority is spectacular. what I have found that M725 undergo a relatively rapid break-in for about 400 hours, but then they continue to refine for at least another 1000 hours. I am also discovering that even if I leave on idling overnight, they do need about 45 minutes of playing time to reach peak performance.

Another very interesting thing is that in spite of the fact that M725 have a damping factor of only 200, they generate bass that is both more controlled, present, and more harmonically dense than the old M312, which has instead a much higher damping factor of 10000. Guido

clab

Feb 12, 2012
traveling but based in Switzerland
Hi Guido

I received today the Absolute Sound Issue of December ... the Corus and the 725 are on the cover ...

Robert Harley tested them with Magico Q7 and says "These electronics were perfectly at home in the context of the 165'000$ Magico Q7" ;-) ;-)

Best regards

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi Claude, I have not read TAS for December.... But Robert Harley's positive findings on M725 on Q7 do not surprise me, given my own experiences with M725 on Vienna Die Muzik. Does the issue feature a full review of M725+Corus, or only some summary findings? I suspect we have only scratched the surface of what amazing music M725 can bring to a system. Guido

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing