Any Grado fans out there?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I am a fan of Grado recently. I used to listen to a few about 10 years ago and didn't like the sound or the comfort level.
However, I now think that Grado has the best mids for headphones and sounding most musical among the headphones I've tried/compared in a recent headphone shootout/gathering.

Agreed. The Grado midrange is sublime.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Douger33

Jan 19, 2013
Omaha NE
I have been a Grado fan for thirty years, first cartridges, and headphones for about twenty. I bought SR-60's and SR-225's in early nineties, was very happy, then found head-fi a couple of years ago...
I now have 325i's, RS1i's, and PS500's! I keep pondering PS1000's but need to juggle finances to allow them. If pressed, I would recommend the PS500's if one needed to stay under $1k, however my RS1i's are not broken in yet and they are beautiful and comfortable....

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
I realized that I could do a little juggling, and ordered my PS1000's 2 days ago:b

Ah! I am sooooo jealous. Even if I never listened to the PS1000, I'd love to have one sitting on the table for all my guests to ooh and ahh over.

Douger33

Jan 19, 2013
Omaha NE
Haha, that is really funny! I don't have many guests, my tabletop is cluttered, and if I never listen to it I can't afford it!:D However, what guests I do receive are drawn to my Tannoy Canterburys in the living room... BTW, your excellent review of the PS500's helped me decide to buy them, thanks!

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
We used to buy the SR-80s by the dozen . The thing is not neutral but boy, does it have great tonality for the price and great comfort. For something that costs $60 or whatever, it was a rare, rare find.

Very rich sounding phones to my ears, but a very safe bet for recommendation for those who use overly bright/LOUD!/compressed/mp3 sounding devices. A few years ago I purchased a Cowon MP3 player & SR80s. Music selection was all WAV files, mostly from LP-CDR cuts.

When I told people I was listening to a turntable on MP3 player, they figured, hack, clicks, pops, noise, whatever ... so I'd hand it over ... and the consistent look on their faces was always priceless, as if they'd just heard "music" for the very first time.

tb1

Douger33

Jan 19, 2013
Omaha NE
Well, I am laughing at myself... About a week ago I made another purchase for an item on a 3 week waiting list and let them know that I might need to wait for a fourth week so please call before shipping and billing. Yesterday I got notice that the item had been built and shipped already, so I had to cover my base in a hurry... Peanut butter and honey, tuna, and chicken breasts for the next week or two, fortunately all on hand so I won't starve. I have not been this low on funds for a long time, oh well no one to blame but the guy in the mirror!

Meanwhile the PS1000's arrived today and sound gorgeous out of the box. Much larger space, and detail on a micro level. Everything just natural, not at all exaggerated. I'm very grateful!

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Very rich sounding phones to my ears, but a very safe bet for recommendation for those who use overly bright/LOUD!/compressed/mp3 sounding devices. A few years ago I purchased a Cowon MP3 player & SR80s. Music selection was all WAV files, mostly from LP-CDR cuts.

When I told people I was listening to a turntable on MP3 player, they figured, hack, clicks, pops, noise, whatever ... so I'd hand it over ... and the consistent look on their faces was always priceless, as if they'd just heard "music" for the very first time.

tb1

I agree. I use SR-125s on my computer for YouTube. They actually make the low bitrate stuff sound decent. I also think the visuals help distract my mind from the audio, and that helps, too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing