VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Finally... Two initial releases...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Finally... Two initial releases...

Hmmmm....thought I had posted their PR blurb announcing the release a couple of weeks ago but can't seem to find it.

Mine are on the way and should have them by end of the week. One is 33 and the other is 45 rpm and as far as I can tell they are sourced from the analog tapes.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hmmmm....thought I had posted their PR blurb announcing the release a couple of weeks ago but can't seem to find it.

Mine are on the way and should have them by end of the week. One is 33 and the other is 45 rpm and as far as I can tell they are sourced from the analog tapes.

It seems so. From their press release:
"Disc mastering is done at half-speed (see note on p.2) to insure maximum accuracy. The lathe system has custom electronics by Nelson Pass. The simple signal path contains no compression, equalization or unnecessary circuitry. RR Chief Engineer and Technical Director, “Prof.” Keith Johnson consulted on the design of the system and helped with the rebuilding of the lathe and electronics, which is owned and operated by long-time mastering expert Paul Stubblebine. “Prof.” Johnson has pronounced it equal to the challenge of our master tapes!"

Since Paul Stubblebine is one of the partners of the Tapeproject IMHO we can be sure he would not accept anything other then the master tapes.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It seems so. From their press release:
"Disc mastering is done at half-speed (see note on p.2) to insure maximum accuracy. The lathe system has custom electronics by Nelson Pass. The simple signal path contains no compression, equalization or unnecessary circuitry. RR Chief Engineer and Technical Director, “Prof.” Keith Johnson consulted on the design of the system and helped with the rebuilding of the lathe and electronics, which is owned and operated by long-time mastering expert Paul Stubblebine. “Prof.” Johnson has pronounced it equal to the challenge of our master tapes!"

Since Paul Stubblebine is one of the partners of the Tapeproject IMHO we can be sure he would not accept anything other then the master tapes.

Paul if I remember correctly, has also mastered RR's CDs too (Paul does a lot of digital work :) ). But the last sentence also seems to confirm that they will be analog sourced.

RR ran parallel analog and digital setups for a period of time but abandoned tape several years ago. Don't remember the year but anything before that will have an analog master. It will be interesting to hear if they're were any improvements in the sound of their LPs. I wasn't the biggest fan of their "sound" and then the tapes bore me out--esp. in the case of the Arnold Overtures!

Guess I'm just paranoid and need to know the source of the record (according to someone on AA, they asked Marcia and she confirmed that they were indeed analog issues).

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i recieved my copy of RR's 45rpm Dick Hyman 'From the Age of Swing' yesterday. i posted the below comments on the audioasylem vinyl board last night.

i always enjoyed the CD of this recording. it seemed to have this livelyness and great tight playing; as well as being sonically really good. it has been a 'go-to' disc for over 15 years for me. this was recorded during the time when RR had both a analog tape and digital recording chain from the same mic feed, and i assume that this pressing is mastered from the tapes; although it does not specify that on the Lp anywhere.

this 45rpm pressing from Quality Record Pressing is another winner. super quiet surfaces and a great mastering job by Paul Stubblebine. huge soundstage, very vivid yet natural sound, and very dynamic.

on my NVS/Talea 2/A90/darTZeel it really boggies.

highly recommended. i know some view Reference Recordings as an audiophile label and somehow lacking musically (i don't feel that way myself). this particular recording is not anything like that. if you like great energetic big band music finely recorded you will love this one.

i also got the RR Oue 'Firebird' (a 33 from QRS) but have not yet listened. i'll be very surprised if i don't like that one too.

note; i did listen to side 1 of the Firebird last night and it's very nice. quiet surfaces and great clarity and dynamics.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I just ordered my copies; will report back when I get a chance to listen to them (the new Spectral preamp has not arrived yet)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing