500 GB USB HD € 75
Wish I had his Linux skills

A petit peu plus
A little bit more

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Docstar new was $120. He must be buying them used for 15 euros. I think Seagate has discontinued the product and folks are dumping stock of something...

Sagittarius

Sep 6, 2011
www.maison-passive-nice.fr
Thank you for this post.
I bought 4 new Dockstar for 60 € in Germany when they were sold off last year.
Each one has 4 usb ports managed by one usb controller.

Why two Dockstar for the music?
- usually the Dockstar boots on a usb storage (key, hdd). But, I did not want the usb controller to be shared with the usb transport (April Stello U3) to be sure to get the best flow. So the mpd Dockstar boots on the network by tftp (have to say the 2 Dockstar are connected together by the Ethernet gigabit port). So its usb port (and controller) is completely dedicated to the April Stello U3.
- the tftp server function is assumed by a second Dockstar equipped with an usb disk and a small usb wifi key. On this NAS Dockstar, I have also installed an NFS server and a webdavs server. So I can remotely store on it all my music collection also accessible by the mpd Dockstar.
- with some adjustments made on the NAS Dockstar (masquerade), the mpd server Dockstar music playback and playlists are controlled by every house computers (mac/pc/whatever) and smartphones by just entering its ip.

I am delighted with the sound. Thanks to the April Stello U3 + V-dac. It is much much better than my old CEC 480 CD player.
Decoding 44.1 KHz flac files takes ~ 1.5-2.5% time processor - 96 kHz 5% - 192 kHz 11-12%

Of course, I could not make this possible without the help of Jeff tips and forum.

Actually the GoFlex Net (1 usb port and 2 sata ports) can do almost the same in one piece except for the WiFi.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing