What's Your 10 Best Movies To Show Off Home Theater Surround Sound

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
There are countless albums recommended on the audio side of the forum which are considered reference classics used to show off a system. I'm interested in knowing what ten movies occupy top tier in your library as go to movies for surround sound

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Pretty hard to beat Live Free or Die Hard, IMO.

Not just for the surround mix and use of sub-woofers, but because if you have an excellent sub-woofer(s), it will show off it's quickness and articulation as well as its sheer pants flapping ability. Also, the incredible variety of gun-shot sound effects, pinging off different materials. An audiophile will appreciate the lengths they went to to get amazing variation, resolution and detail.

Picture quality is also excellent.

If you just want to show off your audio and not PQ, Master and Commander Far side of the World has some terrific audio sequences that will show off your system's ability to create incredibly immersive spatial relationships along with the usual explosions and stuff. At points the sound track creates the illusion you are in the hold of a wooden ship while a bunch of activity is going on above you on deck, around you in the ocean, etc. Special credit for the well resolved sounds of cannon balls on vintage wooden ships, wood cracking and splintering, etc.

Likely suspects for audio/video are Dark Knight, Hulk, Transformers, King Kong.

Dark Knight is a big crowd pleaser, but so is Live Free or Die Hard. I use a 5 minute sequence in Live Free or Die Hard for the blow 'em away demo and most everyone who says he/she only has a few minutes to see the theater suddenly has a lot more time and wants to watch the rest. If you haven't watched Live Free or Die Hard and think you're tired of the Die hard franchise, you'll be surprised how enjoyable this film turns out to be.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
With your Gothams, along with the rest of your gear, Live Free or Die Hard would be outrageous.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Cloverfield
Master and Commander(audio)
I Robot
Fifth Element
Dark Knight
Watchmen
Kung Fu Panda
Jeff Beck live at Ronnie Scotts
John Mayer
Akira (24/192khz)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Baraka
Dave Matthews
Band of Brothers
Legends of Jazz
The Lives of Others
Mozart: Die Zauberflöte
The Police: Certifiable
The Dark Knight
Ratatouille

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Speaking of Avatar, have you gone all the way through the credit and experienced the music piece at the end? This will let you know if your sub is up to the task or not. This is the lowest most dynamic thing I've heard on my system. I almost jumped at the remote to turn it down when I thought the pictures would come off the walls.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Standard DVD or Bluray? I have the standard one. Do I need to purchase the Bluray version?

The Blu-Ray has a lossless audio track. I haven't heard the standard Dolby lossy track, so I can't speak to the differences. However, when you have the audio system, why not feed it the best input you can?

Lee

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
'Saving Private Ryan' is not too shabby either. although it's so realistic about war as to be a bit intimidating to experience very often as a demo disc.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
'Saving Private Ryan' is not too shabby either. although it's so realistic about war as to be a bit intimidating to experience very often as a demo disc.

Mike

I agree about Private Ryan especially the opening 20 minutes

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
Fellowship of the Ring - Cave Troll scene: This has great use of the surrounds, lots of low bass, and excellent sound quality.

Others I like:

Open Range - Storm at beginning and Shootout
Knight and Day - Motorcycle Chase
Quantum of Solace - Horse Race scene at beginning of movie

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing