Spectral Amps Warranty Question

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Do the current Spectral amps still require the use of MIT cables as part of the warranty?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
As far as I know, yes.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Thanks for the information.

IMO, if the warranty requires a certain type of cables, they should be included with the product.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Spectral has softened its stance. If you have problems contact them.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Spectral has softened its stance. If you have problems contact them.

No, they haven't.

I called them today. The warranty still requires the use of their cables and preamp for all their products except the "Universal amp."

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Some states do not allow limitations on warranties. Check your pm. They would have to show the malfunction was caused by the mismatch.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You did not specify what amp you were talking about. Clearly i was talking about the Universal amp and should have bee more specific. I should have asked more questions:

I took this from Goodwin Audios' website:

Note: Whereas other Spectral Audio components (i.e. their preamplifiers and digital source components) may be used with any other brand of equipment, Spectral mandates that their non-Universal amplifiers be driven by a Spectral preamplifier to ensure reliable operation. Spectral Universal amplifiers however may be driven directly by any brand of preamp, D-A, or surround sound processor. In addition, Spectral amplifiers need to be used in conjunction with the proper Spectral-approved MIT interconnects and speaker cables. These usage guidelines are now a condition of Spectral's warranty on their amplifiers. There are several reasons for these guidelines:

Because of their wide bandwidth, Spectral amplifiers can amplify high frequency signals in the MHz range at massive power levels. Therefore radio frequency noise must be kept out of the amplifier. The MIT interconnects contain RF protection, and Spectral preamplifiers are stable at these high frequencies.
Unlike most all solid state preamps, Spectral preamplifiers are true discrete designs, are DC coupled, and can output the high current that the (non-Universal) Spectral power amps are designed to be driven by. Other brands of preamplifiers often use integrated circuits or other devices which will probably not be able to drive the amplifier properly.
As part of their stability design, Spectral amplifiers use an output network found in the proper MIT speaker cables. (Spectral has found that by placing this network close to the load, i.e. the speaker, they can achieve superior results.)
What will happen if you don't follow these guidelines? Well, it's a probability thing. You may not encounter any problems—or you may encounter premature failure of some components in the amplifier. Or (worst case) your amplifier may suffer severe RF problems, and you will have to pay to have all the output devices replaced (which is expensive). Therefore, we highly recommend that you follow Spectral's warranty and operational guidelines. If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to call us as 781-893-9000.

So why would anybody bother using an amplifier that needs such precise conditions to be operated properly? Because for music lovers who value linearity—i.e. who truly wish to hear what the musicians played in an acoustic space on a recording—Spectral offers an incredibly transparent window on recorded musical events. And for the many satisfied Spectral clients, nothing else meets their demanding criteria for emotional involvement with the music.

The express warranty should be located at the rear of the manual along with any warnings. Also required is the notice that limitations on warranties may be prohibited by your state.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thankfully devert checked things out before buying. Whew!

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Thankfully devert checked things out before buying. Whew!

No problem.

I was looking at buying a used DMA-90 or a new DMA-260 and drive it with a BADA. The Spectral tech said bad call
on both counts.

I told him I owned a DMA-80 for a number of years and drove it with Dennesen, MFA and Rowland preamps, connected with
Randall Research cables and never had any problems. The tech said I was lucky.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
No problem.

I was looking at buying a used DMA-90 or a new DMA-260 and drive it with a BADA. The Spectral tech said bad call
on both counts.

I told him I owned a DMA-80 for a number of years and drove it with Dennesen, MFA and Rowland preamps, connected with
Randall Research cables and never had any problems. The tech said I was lucky.

Hahaha....Randall Research! There's a name from the past. Had their speaker cables many, many moons ago and eventually sold them to someone in AZ who was using them to rewire Quad speakers ;)

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Hahaha....Randall Research! There's a name from the past. Had their speaker cables many, many moons ago and eventually sold them to someone in AZ who was using them to rewire Quad speakers ;)

Myles,

We're both getting old.

What's interesting about the Preamp/cable requirements is the amp's input seems to be well protected from RF.

Attached is a picture of the input board Spectral used on both the DMA-80/90:

DMA-90..JPG

With this kind of RF treatment, I don't see the need for special cables.

I know it's a pain in the Okole, but maybe ack or one of the other Spectral amp users on the forum could post a picture of their amp's input board.

Dan

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I will post a picture of mine later, but yours looks like a simple RF choke, which may or may not be enough.

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
I did some pretty serious digging when I bought my BADA and I was informed by very reliable sources close to Spectral that it is plenty appropriate, "has the goods" was the quote, to drive their amplifiers. I doubt Spectral would ever state this publicly, Berkeley may but those companies are very closely related. Ack probably recalls some chats back around that time too.

No way I would be risking it without that confidence. It is a spectacular sonic combination with the 360 as well.

I do use MIT cables but actually used them way before having Spectral gear and prefer them to any other cables I have heard.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Don't expect anything but the company line from Spectral. The Berkeley Alpha DAC is indeed spectacular driving the monos direct, while I await my new preamp. The Berkeley appears to be an extremely competently designed DAC, though perhaps not state of the art.

BTW, the quote from Goodwins that Gregadd posted is exactly the warranty policy - no amplifier is excluded from using those special cables.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Here's the DMA-360 input board

dma360-input-boar&#.jpg

TMenacker

Feb 11, 2012
Spectral Warranty

Do the current Spectral amps still require the use of MIT cables as part of the warranty?

Spectral components must be used w/ Spectral cables or specific MIT cables. Otherwise the warranty is void. While any MIT network cable will provide stable operation, only specific cables will sound "right". Also MIT power cords should be used. (This IS NOT a warranty requirement ), rather a sonic one. When the MIT PC's, Speaker & IC's are used you have what Spectral refers to as a "sealed" system.

When using Spectral components it is advisable to work closely w/ an authorized Spectral dealer.

TMenacker

Feb 11, 2012
Spectral warranty

Some states do not allow limitations on warranties. Check your pm. They would have to show the malfunction was caused by the mismatch.

Spectral would not have any problem showing what happens when Spectral/MIT cables are not used with there ultra-wide bandwidth designs. It is clearly stated in the manual that specific cables must be used. There is another benefit however, and that is the quality of the musical playback.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing