Tube Power Supply Mechanical Hum - Tube Recommendations?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Orb,

i spoke with Isol-8 per Mark's suggestion. They were very candid and said they did not think this was a problem with power that their units would help. They said they were convinced the Gryphon needed repair...mainly because power symptoms would manifest in both channels...not just one. Guess we will have to take this one step at time. See what happens this week with Gryphon, and then tackle grounding. See if that covers it. stay tuned! thanks.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Ah but you spoke to them about the crackling coming through the speakers and not about the mechanical hum correct?
Anyway, considering you get 30 days FREE use of both these products, go and contact a dealer, it is the best way to see quickly if anything is happening with mains/etc.
As quick as posting here I would say :)
Let us know if you do or do not, so I can then continue to motivate you to do so :)

Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi...so i did the grounding thing between preamp and Zanden DAC...nothing happened. not a thing.

strangely, when i had my other tube preamp in, changing the SE interconnects made all the noise disappear...100% dead tomb quiet silence...i was stunned. when i used the same SE ICs on this new pre...the hum/static noise were all still there. strange. Why did the SE interconnects do this with the earlier pre and not this one? Impedance?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Spoke with Zanden...they said a choke filter may need to be repaired in the main unit...whereby mechanical hum from the PSU could actually enter the speakers. Might be time to get upgrade to latest! ;)

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
LOL Lloyd your inbox full again so cannot respond to your PM.
This is a summary of the response as not going to retype it all again in a day or so :)

I would pass on the 600w Boulder if it was me.
As an alternative to Boulder I would wait until absolutely sure the current Gryphon is a lost caused or if price is very good get a newer Gryphon like that one you mention.
Alternatives I really would consider would be the XA60.5 or higher Pass Labs, but not their X series as it is nowhere near as good, or maybe a good ML model.
Each of these can be pretty well maintained-serviced in this country.

But, before any of this I REALLY would try both the new PS Audio P5 and the Isol-8 Substation LC
Audio Emotion do not mention the Substation LC but have all the other models, the 30-day trial seems to be with various dealers so they should be able to get it or alternatively phone Isol-8 again.
Link for Audio emotion:
http://www.audioemotion.co.uk/products/235/
Although the LC supports only 8amps and not sure if the AS is above that, if it is then needs the HC model.
Ok just checked prices of PS Audio P5 over here and OMFG it is expensive, ignore that one :)

Do some inbox keeping again bud :)
Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, Orb! Cleaned out inbox! thanks for the advice. Inclined to agree on Boulder...i've had enough of older amps.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing