Gentlemen start your engines

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
is that user adjustable for 115v/60hz? or does one need some sort of power supply to use in the USA? or can it be converted to full performance use for 115v 60hz reasonably?

Mike, I'm not sure of the quality but voltage converters are ubiquitous for travelers.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Charles...Thanks for the link.

Tempting...

Wonder if it comes with a discount coupon for a divorce lawyer...

On the other hand, I think Mike should get it and let me play with it periodically.

Well, the Studer C37s from Europe requires 120V 60Hz to 220V 50Hz 300VA capacity power inverter. It's not as bad as I had feared initially. I am trying to source the inverters and will pass it on to you, Mike ;-)

Ki

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Charles...Thanks for the link.

Tempting...

Wonder if it comes with a discount coupon for a divorce lawyer...

On the other hand, I think Mike should get it and let me play with it periodically.

Well, the Studer C37s from Europe requires 120V 60Hz to 220V 50Hz 300VA capacity power inverter. It's not as bad as I had feared initially. I am trying to source the inverters and will pass it on to you, Mike ;-)

Ki

Hi Ki,

I sense a C37 in your life soon. I will be interested in what you find.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, I'm not sure of the quality but voltage converters are ubiquitous for travelers.

i'm really not interested in gear that needs power converters. i've just seen so much audible improvement in performance from my power grid improvements that if i can't get gear that's happy with 115v 60hz then i'll pass.

the Garrard 301 turntable with the Loricraft power supply was an exception because there was a purpose built power supply that still made the 301 be able to perform ideally. i had a guy in Europe that wanted to trade me a fully reconditioned Studer C37 for my Garrard 301 but i passed because of the whole power grid issues. it was a beauty but i don't need the complications.

OTOH i suppose if i heard a Stellavox on a power converter and it rocked my world i'd have to have one.

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Stellavox HD88/TD-9

These look to be very cool decks. Charlie mentioned to me that they have the same playback electronics as the SP-8 portables. Jim Smith has(had) two TD-9s that are not working. He did not want to send them to Switzerland and the repair shop here could not repair them. This machine could be a major nightmare. At least this one is 1/4 inch two track. The majority of TD-9s that have been sold on the bay were perforated tape versions- not too useful for audiophiles :)

R Brown

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
i had a guy in Europe that wanted to trade me a fully reconditioned Studer C37 for my Garrard 301 but i passed because of the whole power grid issues. it was a beauty but i don't need the complications.

Tears! :D That's alright Mike you'll have your 351. Btw I think the C37 uses almost 50 tubes,yikes.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Tears! :D That's alright Mike you'll have your 351. Btw I think the C37 uses almost 50 tubes,yikes.

i did sell my 301 for $9k, and that was much more than i wanted to be invested in the C37.

i also bought an original 350 in travel cases. i'll let Dave D. sort out which way is best for me to go...350 or 351.

but you are right. when i decided not to get the Studer C37, it was because i was encouraged to go with an Ampex tubed deck instead of Studer tubed deck since no power issues.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
i did sell my 301 for $9k, and that was much more than i wanted to be invested in the C37.

i also bought an original 350 in travel cases. i'll let Dave D. sort out which way is best for me to go...350 or 351.

but you are right. when i decided not to get the Studer C37, it was because i was encouraged to go with an Ampex tubed deck instead of Studer tubed deck since no power issues.

Mike were those the ones from San Diego? 2 or 3 transformers?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
no; near Boston. 2 transformers.

Well there's nothing like going all in. I think you will like the "Ampex sound" and with Dave in your backyard that is a big plus. I finally got to the bottom of a problem that persisted in the slave unit of my 350 pair. The output transformer had developed a short causing a intermittent static in the left channel. That was primarily the reason for the total restoration. Even after the recap the noise still persisted and after removing all other possibilities it came down to the transformer. The 350 has a beautiful warm yet detailed sound with a well beyond the speaker soundstage. The clarity and nuance also is very impressive. Listening to original 3 channel recordings is really enjoyable and makes you wonder why this format has been abandoned.

These 350's and 351's require patience to bring up to speed,but are well worth the investment. I use all my Ampex electronics as preamps also and each one has it's own signature. I would not consider giving up my Ampex sound it is so unique.

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Voltage selector switch: 110 - 260 VAC, 50/60 hz

Somewhere on the side or back - according to my manual.

The few people I know that have had one / heard it, say this is the "ne plus ultra" of tape decks.

There are only a few in the US. Over the 15 or so years I've been working on Stellavox (SP's and AMI's), I've only seen two for sale and these were set up to play sprocketed film (tensiometers on both side of the headblock can be changed to support different tape/film formats). This unit is apparently 1/4" two track stereo.

Charles

O yeah - Ki: divorce lawyer NOT included!

And the C37 uses a hysteresis motor so you do need a special one for 60hz. Also the transformer in the "stock" 220 VAC unit doesn't have a 115/120 VAC tap - need another transformer also. Of course if you have a source of 220/50hz.... Did come across a fellow with a 60hz motor a long time back - damned if I can now remember who.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i don't read German; but it appears someone (Ki?) has gone and made the seller an offer he could not refuse. the Stellavox auction appears to have ended and the item withdrawn. if someone can read it and explain exactly what it says that might be helpful.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
i don't read German; but it appears someone (Ki?) has gone and made the seller an offer he could not refuse. the Stellavox auction appears to have ended and the item withdrawn. if someone can read it and explain exactly what it says that might be helpful.

Google Chrome translates it to

"This offer was terminated by the seller because the item is no longer available"

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Last time I looked it was under a thousand US. I would be interested in what it went for, ok fess up who bought it ?:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing