Wadia 9xx series

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Robert,

Do you know the retail prices of the Tripoint Audio Troy, Spartan and Orion?

Thanks,
Roy

Hi Roy, i thought Spartan was around $35K, and the Troy closer to $10K. Each silver reference cable is like $1K-2K. I have heard both...they really are impressive. Removing just one silver cable from the Troy to the Tidal Monoblock created a '2% haze/film' over the sound.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
wadia vs playback et al.

Hi Robert,

The GTE is already on the list I first posted. I am sure it will be one of the best but as you also wrote I am also pretty sure the Wadia combination will be on top.

Well, on wbf, there is a big congregation of Playback lovers, some Bada addicted people, and probably loads of dCS owners: Where does Wadia stand today with its series 7 and 9?

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Well, on wbf, there is a big congregation of Playback lovers, some Bada addicted people, and probably loads of dCS owners: Where does Wadia stand today with its series 7 and 9?

Playback Designs I really don't like. We did a comparions between my friends Sony DVD-player and the Playback Designs MPS-5 SACD/CD Player. The MPS-5 sounds very clinical and without any musicality at all. Its not very transparent either.

Bada - I have never heard about - can you direct me to a webpage?

As for the dCS Scarlatti I think it will be very close to the Wadia Series 9. I have not had a chance to made a direct comparions in my home yet, but I will.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Bada - I have never heard about - can you direct me to a webpage?

So sorry, my mistake, I meant Berkeley Audio Design Alpha, and some people in the know call it BADA, but I cannot count myself among them, that gear does not show up here in Europe much.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I am also surprised by the popularity of non-musical players. Clinical, ear torching sound is not for me. I went from very PRAT friendly Naim CDX2/ps to the awesome toe tapper, creamy but detailed Burmester 089, to the best I have heard to date, the GNSC Wadia S7i Statement. It took a good 4 months for the Black Gates and Vishays to come to life. I will some day hopefully, get to listen to the 9 series.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I am missing a screw attaching the cover plate to the CD-drawer on my Wadia 971 transport. The screw was lost during shipment from GNSC when the transport mechanism was broken. Steve Huntley replaced the transport mechanism but the screw is still missing.

Does anyone know where I can buy 4-40 1/16" screws and an appropriate screwdriver?

Thanks,
Roysen

Last edited:

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I am missing a screw attaching the cover plate to the CD-drawer on my Wadia 971 transport. The screw was lost during shipment from GNSC when the transport mechanism was broken. Steve Huntley replaced the transport mechanism but the screw is still missing.

Does anyone one where I can buy 4-40 1/16" screws and an appropriate screwdriver?

Thanks,
Roysen

I am sure you contacted Wadia?

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I am sure you contacted Wadia?

Yes, I have. They provided the specs of the screw, but there should be no need to ship just one screw to Europe. I haven't been able to find a source here though.

Thanks,
Roy

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Thanks, Egidius!

My German is pretty non-existant, so I was hoping for a website in English. I will try WBS anyway.

Thanks again,
Roy

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Thanks, Egidius!

My German is pretty non-existant, so I was hoping for a website in English. I will try WBS anyway.

Thanks again,
Roy

Just happened upon here again: Did you ever sort out your transport? What's your take on the full GNSC series 9 then? I was always wondering if I should have gone that way, but now it is obsolete and GNSC history.

But with so many other producers making 4box "players" where does that leave the 9?

Egidius

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Well,

Yes, the transport issues are sorted out. I have also changed rack for my Wadia Series 9 temporary to Grand Prix Audio Monaco in addition to changing interconnects to a local brand called Midas Audio Cables. Additionally I now play with the Wadia through my preamplifier and not connected directly. I have not yet heard the dCS Vivaldi but my Wadia is so far the best digital component I have had in my system. I will be exciting to see what Wadia is bringing out next. With the activity level of Sonus Faber and Audio Research to judge by I expect a lot from Wadia in the near future. New Series 9 components and upgrades for current models included.

I also have the Soulution 745 here now and I burned a CD-R on my laptop and tried it on both the Wadia 971 and the Soulution 745 (using Esoteric VRDS-Neo mechanism). The Soulution was not able to read the disc but the Wadia played it without lifting an eyelid. The Soulution 745 does support CD-R playback too.

All the best,
Roysen

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
stream unltd vs vrds

Well,

I also have the Soulution 745 here now and I burned a CD-R on my laptop and tried it on both the Wadia 971 and the Soulution 745 (using Esoteric VRDS-Neo mechanism). The Soulution was not able to read the disc but the Wadia played it without lifting an eyelid. The Soulution 745 does support CD-R playback too.

All the best,
Roysen

Am I right in thinking, you had once the 740 with the stream unlimited transport? later they changed in order to get SACD performance out of it, naming it 745. What's your impression?
I have been playing with my Wadia S7i vs the newest verson of BOW ZZ8: tantalising, I must say, also because the BOW looks just great, even after ten years with it..
Egidius

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing