Eye Candy

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
I think it works know.Pay a visit to the www.vintageknob.org .Amazing stuff.You can't imagine how many "breakthrough" ideas ,
have been executed by the japanese 20-30 years ago but have been kept out of the world market.

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Ok then!Just get in there,find the Pioneer topic and look up the P3a and the PL-L1.
As turntables go, check also the best DP series from DENON (DP-100,DP-85) and also take a look at the MICRO SEIKI range.
Also check the YAMAHA top range parallel trackers and the DIATONE LT-1 and LT-5V.ALL todays turntable technology is there...about 20 years ago...

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I really love the sound and the looks of my Clearaudio Champion II table. It is fitted with an SME 309 arm and Benz Micro Glider. It has taken my vinyl listening to a whole new level.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That's easy...dust cover.

Great WAF going there! Is that the Dedicated Audio dustcover or one that Clearaudio makes for their table?

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Great WAF going there! Is that the Dedicated Audio dustcover or one that Clearaudio makes for their table?

I don't know if Clearaudio offers a cover. I had this one custom made to fit my original isolation sandbox the table sat on. Luckily it was perfect for the new rack.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Besides their sonics, many of today's turntables could be featured in The Museum of Modern Art (put the B&O crap in the dumpster where it belongs!).

Which manufacturer's effort do you think epitomizes high-end audio eye candy?

One table that I think fits that category is Judy Spotheim's SPJ La Luce CS Centroventi turntable:

http://www.arcici.net/turntable.htm

This is symbolic of Scandinavian design ethos. I favor it :cool: beogram4002a400..jpg

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Here is my beauty, my Teres Certus 450 turntable, Teres Illius Tonearm, and Soundsmith Strain Gauge Cartridge. The third photo below is the custom dust cover that I had made for the turntable. My turntable is only the 3rd (presently there have only been 3 made) Certus 450 to have been made and the first production Teres Illius tonearm to have been made.

Rich

Last edited:

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
How inviting and intoxicating, naturephoto1 :D

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I'm adding another one to the list, half because it's cool looking, and half because it operates similarly to some crazy ideas I've had in the past, sketched up but never built.

A closer look at the E.A.R. Disc Master turntable. The base is an attractive aluminum, acting as the foundation for a magnetic impulsion drive; there is no direct contact between the drive motor and the spindle system. This is a very sweet turntable, and produced music that was very hard for me to resist.

Looks the same but works different - based on description
http://www.needledoctor.com/EAR-Disc-Master-Turntable?sc=7&category=24927

Price: $17,000.00

...........A low-noise motor, controlled by a carefully optimized servo loop, drives a subplatter via a geared belt that ensures absolute speed control. The sub-platter drives the platter via an arrangement of opposing magnets. This method not only eliminates slippage, but allows enough compliance to filter out any remaining vibration from the motor and belt, while applying a fully symmetric driving force.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Maybe not "eye candy" but it's all mine and I really like it.

IMG_0699..jpg

John

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Nice, what kind of table is that?

Looks like the body is a fiberglassed 2x4 with automotive paint, looks good.

It's a Nottingham Analogue Horizon SE. Solid steel. It has a Rega RB250 arm to which I mounted a Grado Reference Platinum. I have an arm upgrade and a cartridge upgrade in the works, but we'll see how that goes.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
The pics on the site are huge so I've attached an edited down version.

Attachments

• gabriel_black..jpg
    gabriel_black..jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,902

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing