Eye Candy

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Deleted

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Besides their sonics, many of today's turntables could be featured in The Museum of Modern Art (put the B&O crap in the dumpster where it belongs!).

Which manufacturer's effort do you think epitomizes high-end audio eye candy?

One table that I think fits that category is Judy Spotheim's SPJ La Luce CS Centroventi turntable:

http://www.arcici.net/turntable.htm

gotta love the top of the line Clearaudio at $150K and also the pictures of Andy Payor's proposed Sirius V due out soon

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I have a conceptual design for a turntable inspired by the likes of these two beauties, plus it would look sort of like a musical instrument. One day I hope to post it.

Meitner - Museatex - Melior AT-2
http://www.museatex.com/
http://www.museatex.com/at2.htm

Oracle Delphi
http://www.theanalogdept.com/phonosophie.htm

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yep, two good choice Kach! The Oracle has always been a looker. Meitner's table also could go into the category of ???? with its platterless concept.

OTOH, Ed's imedance matching and ground breaking devices that went between components definitely improved the sound of the system. And I think Ed's Museatex preamplifier was one of the first high end units with a remote, if attached, control!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
How about this one:

Yes, thought about AJ's statement table...but just couldn't make my mind up about how felt about the look. What are other's thoughts?

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
If Clearaudio's finest with the hanging dumbell has a right to be there so is this!
Meitner's is eye candy:simple and graphic.The Clearaudio may get the job done but looks like a cathedral!
Another Teutonic in heart (but Japanese) design of yesterday was the Pioneer P-3a.Simple and effective.If you see one for sale please email me!
As cathedrals go, check out the Lusso by Montegiro.MOMA material!
If you want functional simplicity check out the top Brinkmann and the Simon Yorke designs.I think Myles can find the photos...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Myles-I can't stand the look of the SPJ table-it actually hurts my eyes to look at it. The other table with the zebra stripes on cones is also butt-ugly IMO. As for AJ's table, it looks like a machinist/tool and die maker/mechanical engineer designed it. Therefore, it is very machine shop looking. If you love the look of machine tools, then you will like the looks of this table. For me, it is too industrial looking in a machine shop sort of way.

The best looking table is the table I own of course. Seriously, I do like the looks of my VPI TNT table on top of the VPI TNT stand. I think the ET-2 looks cool mounted to it as well. I would like to complete the look and get the micrometer dial for the top of the ET-2. I think the Rockport table should really get the nod all kidding aside. That is a form-follows-function table that I think looks stunning.

Mark

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles-I can't stand the look of the SPJ table-it actually hurts my eyes to look at it. The other table with the zebra stripes on cones is also butt-ugly IMO. As for AJ's table, it looks like a machinist/tool and die maker/mechanical engineer designed it. Therefore, it is very machine shop looking. If you love the look of machine tools, then you will like the looks of this table. For me, it is too industrial looking in a machine shop sort of way.

The best looking table is the table I own of course. Seriously, I do like the looks of my VPI TNT table on top of the VPI TNT stand. I think the ET-2 looks cool mounted to it as well. I would like to complete the look and get the micrometer dial for the top of the ET-2. I think the Rockport table should really get the nod all kidding aside. That is a form-follows-function table that I think looks stunning.

Mark

A vote for the VPI! Used to have your combo and it was real nice. The VPI is a great platform for the ET.a

What's your opinion of the Clearaudio?

Another table that is striking in its simplicity is the new Goldmund Reference.

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Last edited:

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
I would like to have the first one please (the ugly Darth Vadder looking and not at all photogenic at the back).
I suppose it's the one you seldom use...I promise i will dust it off and polish it every day-maybe twice a day!
It really spoilds the show for the other two...such a shame!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

nothing really over-the-top with these three tt's, but i do enjoy their look.

i guess it's like your kids, they all look nice to Dad.

Mike

what component is directly under your middle TT

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike

that is beyond gorgeous. It is almost sinful. How do you ever decide what TT and cartridge to use

i do feel fortunate to enjoy these tt's. these days lots of guys have multiple tt's mostly because it's fun messing with tt's....and.....well....they are cool. not only that; Chicks dig tt's.

i'm still coming to grips with the answer to your question....and will try to answer that for myself in the coming months. when i figure it out i'll share.

btw; the tt in the middle is the pre-production version of Steve Dobbin's 'The Beat'. it was in my room a month ago and i did purchase one. it's suppose to be delivered to me in a month or so. i still have my Dobbin's plinth'd Technics SP-10 Mk3 which will be a trade-in on 'The Beat'. i'm still trying to figure out what color i want my 'Beat' to be.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I would like to have the first one please (the ugly Darth Vadder looking and not at all photogenic at the back).
I suppose it's the one you seldom use...I promise i will dust it off and polish it every day-maybe twice a day!
It really spoilds the show for the other two...such a shame!

yes; the 'ugly duckling' on the left is a brute. but it's not going anywhere. they'll likely bury me with it. there is a long line of folks who have offered to take it off my hands as a favor to me; it's great to have friends that really care. i would never think of burdoning anyone with that sort of 'issue'.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing