Does Meitner Audio still exist?

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
At the latest Axpona NYC I had the chance to listen to the newest creature from Ed Meitner, the MA-1 DAC. I cannot say whether it was a breakthrough or not, because I had never heard any of the components of that system before. Anyway, there's been lots of excitement for this DAC, because of its pedigree and a price point which is, despite objectively very high, lower than many SOTA realizations.

Today I was surfing on the web and I googled this product. No traces! There's just links to the Emm Labs website. Also, typing www.meitner.com directly sends you to the Emm Labs website. Is the company already dead???

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
At the latest Axpona NYC I had the chance to listen to the newest creature from Ed Meitner, the MA-1 DAC. I cannot say whether it was a breakthrough or not, because I had never heard any of the components of that system before. Anyway, there's been lots of excitement for this DAC, because of its pedigree and a price point which is, despite objectively very high, lower than many SOTA realizations.

Today I was surfing on the web and I googled this product. No traces! There's just links to the Emm Labs website. Also, typing www.meitner.com directly sends you to the Emm Labs website. Is the company already dead???

EMM labs is Ed Meitner's company. The EM or EMM stands for Ed Meitner.

http://cybwiz.blogspot.com/2011/01/emm-labsmeitner-ma-1-dac-prototype.html

http://www.stereoaudio.com.au/index.php/audio-news/item/83-meitner-audio-ma-1-dac

Rich

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Guys,

When the Meitner Audio brand was established, I thought it was something like D'Agostino and Krell. The main designer established a new company (with his own name) after a long lasting experience with a reference brand that is still alive.
So, I have no doubt that Emm Labs is still alive (I've also learnt that they're coming out with a DAC2x), but I thought that Meitner Audio was a new independent brand. They had an independent website, which now doesn't work anymore. I was wondering whether Emm Labs absorbed Meitner Audio (with the disappearance of the brand new MA-1 DAC).

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I'm pretty certain there was a Meitner Audio website up at one point. Now everything links directly to EMM. Very odd. Must be some legal issues going on...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm pretty certain there was a Meitner Audio website up at one point. Now everything links directly to EMM. Very odd. Must be some legal issues going on...

His website was always emmlabs.com

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
His website was always emmlabs.com

Steve,

I do remember that the website www.meitner.com existed and was related to the MA-1 DAC, showcasing the new creature of Ed Meitner. In that website, no Emm Labs products were listed, so my interpretation of a new commercial activity from Meitner that was unrelated with Emm Labs...

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Steve:

I'm with Valerio on this. There was a website up briefly. It didn't have a lot of info but the MA-1 was there. It was separate from the EMM site. The URL was meitner.com.

Ken Golden

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
He may not. All I know is that the MA-1 DAC came to market under the Meitner Audio brand - not EMM Labs. There is physical product in the market - its not vaporware. There was a separate website set up for Meitner Audio and no mention is made of EMM Labs. In fact it seemed from the press release information it was worded in a way to suggest that this is a separate venture.

Now when you follow the links to the new company it redirects to the EMM Labs site. There is no mention at all of the MA-1 DAC or a separate company.

I think its a reasonable inference that there is some issues - business or legal or whatever you want to call it - between these two ventures.

Ken Golden

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY

I think its a reasonable inference that there is some issues - business or legal or whatever you want to call it - between these two ventures.

Ken Golden

So, Computer Audiophile announced the upcoming review of the MA-1 DAC, specifying in the list of the reviewed products that Meitner Audio has "no website yet" (but we know it existed)...
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/c...ews-Product-News-RMAF-2011-and-CA-Site-Update
Clearly the product still exists, but, as the editor of CA didn't reply to the questions regarding the disappearance of the website, I guess there's no official statement about the company.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Valerio:

I bought the Bricasti M1 DAC so I'm out of the game anyway. Its a startling product that you should seek out if you are in the market for a new DAC.

www.bricasti.com

Ken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing