Music File Naming

pico

Feb 17, 2011
Hello Dears

organizing an efficient music directory is not an easy task... at least I now see that there are a number of choices to be done. I saw many website talking about how to tag, but I ask myself whether there is a standard way of naming files. For instance I HDtracks does

1-song title.flac

(which is strange why they don't pad number less than 10) while other music file seller do

01. song title.flac

or

01 - song title.flac

The other issue is about album with 2 CDs. I think the base way is to number the files from 1 to the last without having CD1 and CD2, but here I've seen lots of different way of doing that.

I wonder why nobody start to make an effort about standards in this field.

Best Wishes
Pierre

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
I think most people use a media player and file formats that support tags. I use J. River Media Center and can rename all my files with just a few clicks. I can even change the folder structure. However, it doesn't matter because my views are based on tags. I never look at my files, file names, or file structure again. I could have all my tracks named/numbered 1.flac, 2.flac, 3.flac, etc. without it changing my ability to play by album, by artist, by genre, or by song name.

With two CD albums, I have a tag called "Disc #". Each disc might have tracks 1-15, but the discs will play as one virtual disc because of the disc # field. I give both discs the same album name.

pico

Feb 17, 2011
I think most people use a media player and file formats that support tags. I use J. River Media Center

I am a Linux guy but I agree that JRiver is the best out there... unfortunately I can't cope with MS Wins any more.

You are right about tags, but ripping and organising something like 2500 cds is really a big job, so I focus on flexibility and maintenance. If some standard changes I want to be in the positions of updating my music library with a simple script.

Best
Pierre

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
I started by thinking that as the whole is tagged, the directory structure and filenames were not important.
The moment a track is missing in the media library, you would be glad to have a file structure per CD.

This is how I organise it today
Root – allows me to have a library containing all music
Genre - allows me to make different libraries for blues/pop/classical/jazz
Artist
Album – if CD, the entire CD is in this dir (some media players have the nasty habit to spread them over multiple artist)

Multi volume sets
I use Discnumber
An alternative is to use an expression to generate a tracknumber e.g. DIscnumber*100+track for players not supporting the DIscnumber (portable)
I prefer to keep the original tracknumber (in case a track get lost)
Bit more detail: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/MultiVolume.htm

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I also use a structure very similar to Vincent's. I standardize on flac and their tagging. I use Foobar and J Rier Media Center. I like the tagging granularity afforded by JRMC but have come to prefer the much simpler organizaion by folder structure that Foobar can present .. Foobar also has an interesting property. let's suppose that you maintian the exact same structure in two different disks... Foobar recognizes them as one .. IOW Classical simply adds the content of both classical folders and they are seen as one by foobar. They have to have the same structure and spelled the same way For example "Classical" and classical are seen as two different folders...
ALl an'all it seems that Foobar presents alighter oad to the computer anyway, even if one use some rahter compicated looking "skins" which I don't.. Foobar + iPad is one hell of a Media Player + Remote Solution. I would like a way to stream lyrics or other album information to foobar while playing , a sort of active Libreto if you will ..
Oh it was about wav .. Sorry
Anyway Foobar rocks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing