Product Placement in Movies

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Know this is a topic beaten to death but happened to be watching the First Wives Club today and noticed a pair of Martin-Logan speakers (Quests or Monoliths) in the movie. ML seems must believe product placement in movies works since this isn't the first movie I've their speakers prominently featured (the Seagal movie Exit Wounds with DMX comes to mind).

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Having product placement in movies can only help. I remember the movie with Robert Redford when he was paying to bang Demi Moore and they had a VPI TNT table with an ET-2 tonearm in one of the shots. How many people watched that movie who had never seen any high-end gear and wondered what the hell they had just seen? It lends a coolness factor to the gear. After all, everyone knows that anyone associated with Hollywood is a genius.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Which one??

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I remember seeing MLs in the Italian Job remake.

Chandler and Joey also had Aerius i's on Friends.

MLs are so photogenic, I'm not exactly sure if these were paid placements.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
What about the Revel speakers and Mark Levinson gears in that movie in which Mel Gibson as a marketing executive wanted to think like a woman ? Forgot the name of the darn movie .. :( ...I think I also got a glimpse of some High End Audio Thing on that bad movie,"Penguins" with Jim Carey... (Baaaaaaaaaaad movie)
It can only help, I suppose. The recognition facto is however very, very low. I was struck by the fact that for most people, even the well-heeled high end audio (notice no Capitalization) is Bose or maybe Bang & Olufsen. Mac Intosh stil registers in the mind of a good portion of the non-audiophile public...

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
I remember lots of hiend gear in movies... McIntosh is the most present (What Lies Beneath, The Departed, among the others), and, in addition to the Mark Levinson and Martin Logan appearances that have been already cited, I remember Clearaudio in Tomb Raider, TAG McLaren Audio in Triple X or Sota Turntables in House. But what has impressed me more, so far, was the appearance of a Halcro DM10 preamp in an Italian TV Show!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What about the Revel speakers and Mark Levinson gears in that movie in which Mel Gibson as a marketing executive wanted to think like a woman ? Forgot the name of the darn movie .. :( ...I think I also got a glimpse of some High End Audio Thing on that bad movie,"Penguins" with Jim Carey... (Baaaaaaaaaaad movie)
It can only help, I suppose. The recognition facto is however very, very low. I was struck by the fact that for most people, even the well-heeled high end audio (notice no Capitalization) is Bose or maybe Bang & Olufsen. Mac Intosh stil registers in the mind of a good portion of the non-audiophile public...

Turntables have been featured in some movies such as Clockwork Orange (Transcriptor), House (Sota) and several other movies (VPI). There was one recent TV ad with a tube amp (don't remember the name). I might be wrong but there was one high-end dealer in LA (?) who specialized or had a connection to get gear in movies too?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Krell and Oracle in Love potion #9. It was stolen by a hooker.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That must have been one muscular hooker.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing