How are you fellow members coping with Irene battering the US North East??

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Read the news through the Internet. How are you people that are on the path of this unprecedented storm, coping ? Let us know how you are doing. Most basic precaution for your dear equipment would be to UNplug everything by the way ... We know you have other more serious concerns but this is a simple one to take ...
Our best wishes and prayers are with you ...

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
It made landfall on the NC coast, north and east of here (Charlotte). At Nags Head, I believe. We didn't even get any rain.

Tim

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Well, we had some rain before the Hurricane got here. Soon after what I thought was Irene arrived, we lost power while I was in the basement while I was down there making sure that the sump pump was operating. Thank goodness I had been smart enough to bring my headlamp. The power loss was only for our side of the street and was restored in a few hours. Our back up battery operated sump pump was operating in the mean time. I moved some things in the basement to prepare for the worst as best I could during the power failure. Winds and rain has been heavy and wind has been high for hours. I am not sure how much rain that we have received yet near Allentown, PA but I would not be surprised if it is 6" at this point with an expected .6 inches or more expected. We have retention ponds behind our house and a creek beyond that. The retention ponds are near their maximum and the creek is beyond its banks. Hopefully it will not get any worse.

Rich

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Keep yourselves safe people... Don't mind the wind really, it is not always the greatest danger and don't go out unnecessarily... This storm is moving very, very lowly and will dump a lot of rain in its path... Flooding is a real concern .. As for the wind it may turn up at any oven moment on the storm path .. So keep indoors and again move your equipment and yourselves to higher levels ... keep flashlights, candles and matches close to your hands.. Get a basic phone connected to your wireline, not wireless, not cordless ... In those instances the last thing to go is the phone system .. Cellular OTOH goes down extremely fast ... a few towers that go down can bring the system to an halt which can happen in such an uncommon storm ... Go back to basics....

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Sterling, VA.- Strange week. Californians will laugh at our 5.8 earthquake. It was fun feeing the floor move under my feet. Hurricane is causing lots of flooding and fallen trees in DMV ( New acronym for DC, MD, &VA). Where I'm at we got mosty tropical rain and not much of a blow. We are well inland and above sea level.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Caution. Burning any kind of fuel indoors has the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning. Even a charcoal barbecue on the patio with an overhang is dangerous.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Luckily nothing really but a lot of rain in the UES of Manhattan. Not a lot of wind. Did unplug all the gear and because of position to the windows, cover it with a tarp just in case :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Smart thinking Myles! Glad nothing bad happened though. My sister-in-law that lives in NJ is not the world's brightest woman. She was disappointed that they did so much prep work and nothing bad happened!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Smart thinking Myles! Glad nothing bad happened though. My sister-in-law that lives in NJ is not the world's brightest woman. She was disappointed that they did so much prep work and nothing bad happened!

Your sister-in-law was really lucky. From what I'm seeing from friends and pics, NJ really got hammered by the rain and flooding. And also for upstate NY where they have 2-3 ft of water flooding towns :(

mep

Apr 20, 2010
She is lucky, she's just not bright enough to know that. She would have felt better if she had to suffer with no power for a week or so because she *prepared* for it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing