Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Computer Audio: Is isolation as good as optimization?

J River is one of the best samples of stable bit-perfect operation:

• It works with ASIO drivers, and most ASIO drivers are bit-perfect by design.
    • ASIO can bypass completely the Windows sound system, the Windows volume control and mixer are out of the picture.
    • ASIO allows for easy automatic sample rate switching, so another limitation of the operating system is eliminated.
    • ASIO is very light-weight, my driver works with J River up to 8 channels at 32bit resolution and 384 kHz sampling rates.
    • The only area for configuration is the J River player. To have bit-perfect operation, the user must keep the setup simple and basic - no DSP processing, no up-sampling, no channel mixing, no bass processing, no software volume control.

"Fully transparent" means bitperfect. The bits from the media file delivered to the input pins of the DAC chip without any changes. It also implies that the data delivery is jitter free. Of course the DAC will introduce some jitter, but the interface, the delivery medium can and must be jitter free. This is one of the major advantages of Asynchronous USB over legacy audio interfaces like SPDIF.

George

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    Great post George . It is the right formula.

We need at some point an objective way to prove it. Folks still spend a lot of energy and money on improving sources even with all the things you (and I) mention.
    amirm,

It is great to be here and to explore new ideas! I find that people are investing lots of time and energy to perfect outdated technologies. CDs are really constrained by resolution limitations. Why invest thousands of dollars to try to achieve the impossible - to bring to live material that was downgraded by the recording process? Many of the great performances of the past are re-digitised and studio grade master files are offered at specialty online stores. I think that this is the future.

George

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
    (...) I find that people are investing lots of time and energy to perfect outdated technologies. CDs are really constrained by resolution limitations. Why invest thousands of dollars to try to achieve the impossible - to bring to live material that was downgraded by the recording process? Many of the great performances of the past are re-digitised and studio grade master files are offered at specialty online stores. I think that this is the future.

George
    George,

It would be great if was true, but unhappily for most of us it is not. I look at my recordings collection and less than 1% of it is available in HiRez formats. HiRez is still a niche and I foresee that I will go on listening to 44.1/16 for a long time. Thirty years can not be erased in a short time and sometimes the future is not so near as we would like.
    As you say, I also have found that even thousands of dollars can not achieve the impossible, but can make the existing material very listenable and even enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    George,

It would be great if was true, but unhappily for most of us it is not. I look at my recordings collection and less than 1% of it is available in HiRez formats. HiRez is still a niche and I foresee that I will go on listening to 44.1/16 for a long time. Thirty years can not be erased in a short time and sometimes the future is not so near as we would like.
    As you say, I also have found that even thousands of dollars can not achieve the impossible, but can make the existing material very listenable and even enjoyable.
    Sure, I also have a vast collection of CDs. But I am not interested anymore of the minor returns that I get when I try to beautify CD sound.

For me it is time for something more exciting. With high-sampling rate files the sound is really detailed and dynamic. The improvements are not subtle at all. Detail is much clearer, sound is much less harsh, and the bass is so much stronger and tighter.

Addicted To Best
    Quote Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
    Sure, I also have a vast collection of CDs. But I am not interested anymore of the minor returns that I get when I try to beautify CD sound.

For me it is time for something more exciting. With high-sampling rate files the sound is really detailed and dynamic. The improvements are not subtle at all. Detail is much clearer, sound is much less harsh, and the bass is so much stronger and tighter.
    Welcome to the forum, George. But I will beg to differ regarding CD sound: in spite of what is said by many, and your experiences to date, absolutely remarkable, indeed, magical sound can be retrieved from Redbook. The problem is that the general audio industry hasn't, and refuses in many cases, to investigate the situation and engineer good solutions; so it is almost impossible to simply purchase a straightforward solution, irrespective of how much money is thrown at it. Virtually all people who achieve higher levels of sound in digital either have to do major tweaking themselves, which is what I do, or have their equipment extensively modified by people who have that extra understanding.

It is not necessary to go hi-res: the fact that it sounds better for most people is because it circumvents, solves some of the technical issues, glitches, that plague digital playback, that the industry can't seem to get a decent grip on ...

Frank

Addicted to Best! christensenleif@msn.com's Avatar

Redbook and the future

I think just because I´ve seen the light or glimpses of it, I cannot ignore 6TB of wav files with basically Redbook format
    besides sometimes the light in the other end of the tunnel, turns out to be the train......
    vinyl is still my ultimate sound source for hi-q sound, but even redbook through the right gear is getting closer, much thxs to guys like the EXA and TPA teams
    besides; look at the cost of a SOTA vinyl rig compares to a ditto pc audio setup; 50:1 ?
    and soundwise: 10:7 ?
    best
    Leif

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234