Merging "Emotion" using Mykerinos Card

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I read somewhere that Merging was coming out with beta music server software called "emotion." I met you last year at RMAF and I was blown away with the Mass Core server you had set up in your room. I know you are a big fan of Merging so I was hoping for a little more intel on this new software. The only reason I never built my own mass core server is because the Pyramix software is designed for smart people like you, not dummy computer audiophiles like me.

Thanks,
Michael Lowe

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Actually we were using the new software at T.H.E. show in Newport Beach. It's still in beta form, but so far it's worked flawlessly. They were using the Native version via ASIO drivers out USB to the Playback Designs MPD-3
So far it works with all PCM rates as well as DSD64fs/128fs

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Thanks. That's a relief that I won't have to use a soundcard and I can play via USB on windows. Do you know if kernel or WASAPI streaming will be possible in the future? How would this type of setup compare with a masscore out aes/ebu to MPD-3?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
WASAPI should be available as well. AES/EBU from a MassCore will 'only' get you up to 192k, but in my opinion, it's still better than USB and using the MPS-5 as a DAC for our Sonoma system via ST-optical. Best of both worlds!

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Amarra doesn't play DSD, so no. Emotion (PC) and Pure (Mac) were on 2 different platforms, so we have not done controlled side by side testing. Both are very capable of using in a mastering environment for reference.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Emotion with Mykerinos and st-optical daughter card?

I have an MPS-5 and I was wondering whether you or Jonathan tested emotion with Mykerinos out ST-optical to an MPS-5. Assuming emotion works well with Mykerinos out st-optical, wouldn't that be your preference over USB-x?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Unfortunatley Merging has no plans for an ST-optical interface. The only way we can implement the ST-optical interface in a Pyramix system is to use the Grimm OC-1 SDIF-3 to ST-optical converter. We have also used the EMM Labs ADC8/DAC8 IV converters that can convert ST-optical to SDIF-3 as well. And yes, we would always use something other than the inferior USB connection.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Just so i understand. The Merging "emotion" software WILL work with the Mykerinos card. If so, I can use the SDIF - DSD/PCM 8Ch Simultaneous I/O daughtercard out to the Grim OC-1 which will convert to ST-optical out to the "playlink input" (st-optical) of the MPS-5?

Other than using a Pyramix system, would the above setup yield the best computer-based resolution with an MPS-5?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Yes, in this configuration, short of using a Sonoma, you would be using the best setup that I know for DSD playback.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Thanks Bruce for breaking this down for me. I look forward to seeing you at RMAF. Whenever Merging releases their Emotion, I will build a new computer and set this thing up. The only reason I didn't build a Pyramix system before is because Pyramix is really not usable in my home environment.

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
Merging has just announced its Horus unit. It's a self contained Ravenna network node, containing up to three 8 channel mic pre and ADC, and three 8 channel DAC cards. It connects to a Windows host via gigabit Ethernet, running Pyramix Masscore. Speculation has it that it, or a derivative of it will be the hardware engine of Emotion.

http://www.merging.com/products/show?product=11

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
So far, have been using Emotion with MADI and SDIF-3 cards with no problems. Seems to be a stable platform. The only complaint I have is set-up would be a little awkward for novice users, especially if you are going to use Mykerinos cards.

Intel mobo DQ67SW
Intel cpu i5 2400 "Sandy Bridge"
Corsair DDR3, 4GB
Using integrated graphics
Windows 7

(2) Mykerinos cards with MADI and SDIF-3 daughter cards

Emotion v1.1 Beta 2

michelf

Sep 27, 2011
I just like to share my experience with the Emotion-Mykerinos software.
I'm using the Emotion software with a Mykerinos card equipped with the ADAT daughterboard connected to a DUA II, with this set-up I'm limited to 44.1Khz playback.
This week I'm doing an evaluation of the new Atoll DAC (D-200) and their new Kleer WiFi technology (a receiver and a USB Dongle) I've got already a SBTouch.
All those sources are connected to the D-200.
The Mykerinos-Emotion by AES, the SBTouch trough optical and analog (SBTouch internal DAC) and the WiFi receiver.
The sound quality coming out of the Mykerinos is so much more detailed compared to the SBTouch and the Atoll WiFi receiver...every word, syllable, reverb tail, panning, stereo image is very stable...
The guys at Merging did something right when designing the Mykerinos in 1998...the internal clocking must be done the right way...

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Great feedback Michel! Do you have any insight from Merging as to when they will release Emotion? Last I heard they planned to announce at CES. Of course, that didn't happen. Are they still working out bugs?

michelf

Sep 27, 2011
I don't know the release date, the Emotion software still need improvements, but in the mean time it's functional but not as friendly as LMS (Logitech Media Server).
I'm presently connected via network with my Vortexbox server, Emotion don't support DLNA so you need to import your music and Emotion will take care of indexing the collection.
This import process is a bit slow but when the database is build the search is quick.
Two years ago we made a presentation at the Montreal SSI 2010 show (sorry for my english writing...I'm french speaking...), in the Audio Occasion room (a well known hifi boutique in Montreal) we demonstrate the Mykerinos with Pyramix playing back HR audio...the purpose of the demonstration was to illustrate how you could obtain an excellent playback using digital equipment.
We used Simaudio DAC (with AES) and integrated amplifier connected to Thiel CS2.4SE loudspeaker, nice setup...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Any news on the release of Merging Technologies Emotion?

I've been using the beta version of 'Emotion' for over 3 years. it's not a 'finished' product and only workable for me with my son, the network engineer, keeping it going for me. as far as I know, it's no longer being developed or supported any more by Merging Technologies. I plan on switching to J-River at some future point when I can get my son to do the conversion.

it does sound wonderful and i use it daily mostly listening to dsd files (I have approx 5 terabytes of dsd files) over USB thru my Playback Designs MPS-5 player/dac. I use an I-pad for my user interface with my 2-box server upstairs over my home network.

I have not had any updates to it for a couple of years.....but it could certainly be a wonderful product if Merging Technologies wanted it to be.

michelf

Sep 27, 2011
Still using Emotion as my main player.
The software is stable (almost no crash), I'm running the version using Masscore (dedicated CPU as the audio engine).
There is no more processing done on the Mykerinos just the I/0.
It runs on a Intel D525MW motherboard but the Atom cpu is really taxed. (Merging recommend i5 or i7) but I don't experience any troubles when playing back audio.
Until now there is no other software or hardware player that sound as good and precise compared to Emotion.
I'm using an Atoll DAC 200 as DAC.

I should give an another try to JRiver, but I was not impressed last time I try it, I didn't see the advantages over Foobar2000.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing