What's the Best compact sub?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Bear in mind this is going in a 10x12 room, supporting active monitors that are 3-4 feet from my ears, and I do not care about pipe organs and movie explosions. This is a music-only system and if the sub can slide in under my desk and add a very clean, controlled bottom end to a bass viol, that's perfect!

I know the REL T5 is a contender, possibly a Velodyne Impact Mini. Any other suggestions?

Oh yeah -- it has to have a preamp-level RCA input and an onboard crossover control to work well with my monitors.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Budget, size limitations, and SPL requirements would all assist in recommendations!

Lee

Fair enough. Let's not limit the budget at this point. Size? As close to a 12" cube as we can get. SPL? I'm not trying to be evasive, Lee, but I think just about anything this crowd would recommend with a straight face will go loud enough. It could wander all over this room looking for its favorite spot and not get 10 feet away from me. And it has to keep up with mains that are just a little over 4 feet from my head. It's not a tough challenge, and I'm certain the little REL T5 would do the trick at $600, so I guess that's the price to beat. Anyone heard any really good compacts below that level?

Tim

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Tim, This is a very interesting subject to me as well. I am now looking into various subs that essentially meet the same criteria as you have posted. The Rel T5 and possibly the T7 are high on the list. I own a PSB Subsonic 5i which is very good for the money...less than $500- ,but really designed more for HT than 2 channel.
The T5 and T7 use 8" woofers, the 5i uses a 10" driver and can probably belt out more....not sure if the quality is there, OTOH. I will be interested to see what other suggestions the members come up with.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Personally, i have owned Velodyne's since 1995 and always liked them. Currently have the DD18...but have heard the DD15 and DD12. both also good and integrate very well and hav line-ins. (In fact the newer DD+ series also have balanced in).

You may also wish to try the Sunfire...11" cube but apparently an absolute powerhouse...which hopefully means it will not strain to deliver the bass you are looking for...which is a start obviously as strained bass can be really, really bad. How well it integrates, cannot say. good luck and pls let us know what you choose.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The REL Quake is tiny, inexpensive, easy to integrate and costs little. I've integrated this well with a bunch of small monitors and my Maggie SMGc's well in the past. :)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Anyone heard the REL T5? I am contemplating hooking one of these up to my system. In my very small room, it's going to be a good test to see how the T5 performs with my SF GH's. Anyone have any other suggestions/recommendations? Tim did you end up hearing the T5 in your system?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi DaveyF,

As you may recall, i owned SF GHs for a number of years (and Celestion SL6si's before them)...and always used a sub. In general, i found a big difference (small room or large) going with the bigger Velodyne (over the smaller one). I used a Velodyne DD18...good variability for setup (i ran them in parallel, and did not use internal crossover)...and found them to work well. Others have used REL with SF to quite good effect. Good luck and pls keep us updated!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I favor the multi subs approach, especially in a small room. Makes for better bass in almost all situations. A brand which for some obscure reason is never mentioned by Audiophiles although their products perfromance is[/I: Definitive Tehnology. Their subwoofers (and speakers) are very good.
Let's not forget DIY .. Subs are not that difficult to make. $250 and a few hours in a shop will provide a sub that could shame several highly touted and expensive commercial offerings ...
I would add that the integration of one or more sub in any system is a direct function of the crossover unit used with the sub(s). I would recommend, the superb, immensely flexible and inexpensive (~$300) Behringer DCX 2496.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Has anyone heard the 10" Emotiva? The feature set and price are right. It's almost small enough. And a lot easier to find then the REL T5.

Tim

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thanks for the suggestions:cool:. A while back i listened to a Sunfire in my system, which BTW are manufactured locally to me, but too much for the size of my room and resulted in bloat and boom. Like Tim, I am primarily looking to a) not overload the room and b) reproduce music only no HT, not interested in sonic booms, explosions etc.
Tim, I am not sure why you say the REL T5 is not easy to find...It is distributed by all the dealers who are Sumiko approved and there seem to be several of them. One of my local dealer's is a Sumiko dealer and carries the whole line. ( Sumiko apparently now own REL, Richard Lloyd sold out to them recently....Not sure if this is a good or bad thing:confused: )

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions:cool:. A while back i listened to a Sunfire in my system, which BTW are manufactured locally to me, but too much for the size of my room and resulted in bloat and boom. Like Tim, I am primarily looking to a) not overload the room and b) reproduce music only no HT, not interested in sonic booms, explosions etc.
Tim, I am not sure why you say the REL T5 is not easy to find...It is distributed by all the dealers who are Sumiko approved and there seem to be several of them. One of my local dealer's is a Sumiko dealer and carries the whole line. ( Sumiko apparently now own REL, Richard Lloyd sold out to them recently....Not sure if this is a good or bad thing:confused: )

Last time I did a search on them most of the dealerships were in the UK and the couple of US dealerships I found were out of stock on the T5. Maybe I need to sharpen my Google skills...

Tim

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Tim, besides the Rel T5 which I like a lot, the Epos M should also be a contender. It's musical and will go well with your active monitors. The best value servo-sub available is the Martin Logan Grotto-i, although the Depth-i is far better.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Has anyone heard the 10" Emotiva? The feature set and price are right. It's almost small enough. And a lot easier to find then the REL T5.

Tim

No, but you can check at the Lounge (Emotiva Forums), and ask some owners.

* It is very affordable, but the plate amp is not really what I consider the most 'solid'.
But for the price the performance is very nice, and in that regard it is justifiable.
...According to my several readings over there.

- Tim, you can also check Audioholics' website; I believe they reviewed the 12 incher,
its bigger brother. Here: Emotiva Ultra Sub 12 Review

By the way, the Emotiva Ultra Sub 12 is on sale right now (Clearance price) for only $379!
And the Ultra Sub 10 is on sale for only $289! ...Now, that is very inexpensive.

But they also have the new Sub Series, with a nicer finish (Satin Black), and for more money of course, but still excellent value.
And when they are running their sales, even more so valuable.

Food for thought... :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing