Sim2 Crystal 45

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hello everyone.

We have had an evaluation version of the Sim2 Crystal 45 projector for a week now. This is a $9K projector from Sim2. There is a slightly lower performance version called Crystal 35 which goes for $7,000.

It also comes in white and in person looks a lot nicer than in the picture.

The projector is unique in that it puts out a ton of light. It is about 3X brighter than other projectors in its price range such as the JVC RS series (rated at whopping 3,000 lumens). The result is that the image is quite bright and is able to fill a larger screen. We ran a test of it on our 16 foot wide, acoustically transparent screen which has a negative gain (i.e. loses more light than most screens) and it managed to fully light up the image to very satisfactory brightness level. Considering that our existing projector in that room costs 8X as much, this is a major accomplishment. Even in its economy mode it was able to light up our big screen.

The unit is also quiet (similar to others in its class).

Being a single chip DLP unit, its image is exceptionally crisp. DILA and LCD based projectors in its price class all use three imaging devices which due to alignment issues, tend to have softer images.

The JVC beats it in absolute black level so if the image is completely dark, then the JVC will have an edge. But because the eye perceives brightness as a relative scale of the darkest to lightest area on screen, on most images, it can actually appear to have higher contrast than the JVC.

I am extremely sensitive to rainbow effect which is caused by using a color wheel to create multiple colors out of one imaging panel (see Fundamentals of Projector Technology/url]). On this projector I can see it occasionally. But others in our office who are not sensitive to it could not see it.

I came in expecting an economy projector that was bright but broken otherwise, and came back really liking the unit. As with other Sim2 products, it has a very nice looking enclosure which while boxy, still oozes quality. I will be doing more in-depth analysis of the projector later but thought I share this high level information seeing how there are no reviews of this projector anywhere.

So if you are looking for an economical way to light up a 12 foot+ screen or want to watch movies on smaller screen without full light control, this is a very nice way to to go.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
thanks...good to know... someday, i will add front-projector on large screen. when i do, i'll come back to you for advice.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes indeed. BTW, if you have kids, nothing pleases them and their friends than having a theater screen to play games on! 80% of the use of our theater is for that. Kids even bring sleeping bags and stay overnight in the same room! If we let them, they would live there full time :). It is a truly social experience for them since everyone can see the screen and get that larger than life experience.

tonypp

Sep 22, 2011
So for the price, is this unit that good? I was thinking of going with a JVC, but i am really interested in this unit. my only apprehension is that some are saying that this projector is really a benq w6000 just in a different case. Cant see a company like Sim2 doing this.

bphilosophe

Mar 10, 2012
I have a 15 ft wide screen and a throw distance of 30 ft (large dedicated dark theatre). Do you think the Crystal 45 would be a good choice given the good price?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
On paper it should. That said, the bulb on these projectors ages and over time, it may be too dim. One solution is to use a higher gain screen. Have you already picked it and if so, what is the gain? Does your local dealer let you borrow one to try?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My (unsolicited) advice: Make "someday" the near future.
Adding front projection has given me much enjoyment in recent years.

might just do that! ;) thanks for the advice...always welcome!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing