What's Best?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Thought I'd take a break from vinyl vs. cd for a moment and mention a few things that matter, a few things that really are what's best...

Bruno Walters conducting Beethoven's 4th. It's not even close to audiophile. In the face of this performance, how am I supposed to care about a thing like that?

Larry Carlton's solo on Kid Charlemagne. Yeah, I know, that one's a no-brainer.

Miles Runs The Voodoo Down. The whole thing. Every grunt. Every funky slap. Every Conn muted brass fart. Freakin' brilliant.

The live perfrormance of Listen to the Lion from Van Morrison's album it's Too Late to Stop Now. He roars, he rumbles, he groans and grumbles. Then at the end, he's been winding it down for a couple of minutes...whispering...testifying...it finally lets go, gives it up to God, falls into exhaustion, falls silent, and a girl from somewhere in the audience just exclaims "Alright!" I don't care if you have it on vinyl or CD or half-speed mastered into the smooth white belly of a vestal virgin...at that moment, if you care, if that is even on your mind, you need a soul transplant.

Fresh pesto. Seriously. My buddy Joe has the biggest patch of Basil going on right now and I get to cut as much as I want. Fresh basil, fresh garlic, good cheese and olive oil. Pine nuts, wallnuts, no nuts. Pesto. Pasty green elixir of the gods.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For some reason all I can think of about "What's Best" at the moment is FOOD. I'm not even hungry!!!!!!!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I love the Too Late to Stop LP from Van Morrison. One of my favorite albums.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Yummmm fresh Pesto,the best for sure:):)

JasonI

Dec 3, 2010
I too enjoy some prosciutto, for sure. But sound-wise I'm a bit of a rocker and there aren't many popular rock tracks that really scratch my audiophile itch. There is Evil Empire by Rage Against the Machine. The drums; including kick, snare, and symobls in Bulls on Parade are so well recorded, it's the best percussion I've ever heard on a rock track.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I was in heaven last night listening to the new Audio Fidelity LP Blues for Allah by the Grateful Dead. Glorious sound!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I was in heaven last night listening to the new Audio Fidelity LP Blues for Allah by the Grateful Dead. Glorious sound!

Yep, am just finishing the review up :) The interesting part of the story is that remastering Kevin Gray worked with the Dead way back when and actually mastered the original release of Blues for Allah :)

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Ahhh...

Just spent the past 2 weeks scuba diving off the upper westside Maui coast.

Some friends have been in Maui for three weeks AND have two weeks remaining :cool:
Any pictures while diving, Ron :confused:

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
So many bests

Thought I'd take a break from vinyl vs. cd for a moment and mention a few things that matter, a few things that really are what's best...

Bruno Walters conducting Beethoven's 4th. It's not even close to audiophile. In the face of this performance, how am I supposed to care about a thing like that?

Lots of really fine performances of Beethoven's 4th symphony. On the other hand, I don't think any other performance comes close to Bruno Walter's Columbia Symphony (stereo) recording of Beethoven 6th symphony.

Fruhbeck de Burgos conducting Falla: Three Cornered Hat (EMI) and El Amor Brujo (Decca) and Orff: Carmina Burana (EMI) are from a period in the late 60s early 70s when he made some very fine recordings.

George Szell / Cleveland Orchestra for Haydn symphonies 92-99, Mozart symphonies 28, 33, 35, 39 and 41. Their Beethoven symphony set and overtures are first rate too.

The period instrument sound of the Derek Solomons / L'estro Armonico performances suit the Haydn symphonies 39,45, 48 and 59 to a T. The high horns in No. 48 are exhilarating to a degree I have not heard elsewhere.

The Fleisher / Szell / Cleveland Brahms PC 1 recording is superb. Their Beethoven PC set is a standard for me.

Lots of great Mozart PC recordings. The Peter Serkin Schneider / ECO recordings of PC 14 and 15 remain a favorite. The Bilson / Gardiner set for PC 14-27 are the best realization of period instrument sound that I've heard for these works. The Rudolf Serkin / Szell recording of No. 19 and 20 are just great.

Recordings ahve been very kind to classical music. I could list bests for pages. For the bests outside classical music I'd start with

Fats Waller. "The Joint is Jumpin" CD is full of great stuff. Plenty more great fats recordings beyond this CD.

Louis Armstrong recorded lots of really great music. The "Satch plays Fats" CD is a favorite but there are lots more.

Kiri Sing Gershwin. John McGlinn conducted this. She had the voice and he had the style. McGlinn's Showboat CD set is the best of Broadway show albums. His "Anything Goes" recording is top drawer and so is his "Kiss Me Kate" recording.

John Mauceri conducted excellent performances of Broadway musicals too.

The 1983 recording of Rodgers and Hart's "On Your Toes" has a number of knockouts.

John Morris and William Bolcom recorded a number of albums of Broadway standards. They are the best and most consistent source for wit, style and energy in that kind of music.

All those Jazz and Big Band recordings from the 30s and 40s transferred from 78s. Miller, Goodman, Shaw, Dorsey Brothers and many others.

So many great performances captured on recordings. We are all fortunate to be able to hear our favorite performances again and again as we choose.

Bill

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Fruhbeck de Burgos conducting Falla: Three Cornered Hat (EMI) and El Amor Brujo (Decca) (...)
Bill

Since you refer to Manuel de Falla El Amor Brujo I can not resist posting my favorite interpretation by Orquestra de Cambra Teatre Lliure de Barcelona / Josep Pons - less elegant than the version you quote, but full of rhythm and drama.

The second piece of the CD - El Retablo de Maese Pedro, although less known is also a masterpiece.

Attachments

• wbf..jpg
    wbf..jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 124

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
Since you refer to Manuel de Falla El Amor Brujo I can not resist posting my favorite interpretation by Orquestra de Cambra Teatre Lliure de Barcelona / Josep Pons - less elegant than the version you quote, but full of rhythm and drama.

Thanks for describing your preferred version. I've added it to my Amazon "Most wanted Music" wish list.

While I was on Amazon, I saw a recording of "El corregidor y la molinera" (the earlier version of "The Three Cornered hat") by the same forces. How is that CD?

Just for the record, the Fruhbeck de Burgos performance I like is with the New Philharmonia orchestra. It has a sensual feeling I haven't found in other recordings. The Cadiz tango is the high point for me.

The second piece of the CD - El Retablo de Maese Pedro, although less known is also a masterpiece.

I don't have any performance of that work in my collection. So, I'll get a new performance and a new work from your recommendation. Thanks.

Bill

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks for describing your preferred version. I've added it to my Amazon "Most wanted Music" wish list.

While I was on Amazon, I saw a recording of "El corregidor y la molinera" (the earlier version of "The Three Cornered hat") by the same forces. How is that CD?

Just for the record, the Fruhbeck de Burgos performance I like is with the New Philharmonia orchestra. It has a sensual feeling I haven't found in other recordings. The Cadiz tango is the high point for me.

Bill

"El corregidor y la molinera" is also a very interesting piece of Falla - rather different from the later classical well known ballet music. It is very enjoyable and it is played by a small chamber orchestra. But the best part of the CD are the Garcia Lorca: Canciones Espanolas Antiguas.

Since you are shopping at Amazon, why not getting the full series?

Manuel de Falla: Siete Canciones Populares Españolas / Harpsichord Concerto / El Gran Teatro del Mundo / Psyché - Victoria de los Angeles / Orquestra de Cambra Teatre Lliure / Josep Pons

The El Gran Teatro del Mundo of Pedro Calderón de la Barca is a marvelous piece and Vitoria de Los Angeles, although she was at her late 60s when the recording was made, was still a great and beautiful voice - at the same year she sang in the opening of the Barcelona Olympic Games.

Attachments

• wbf..jpg
    wbf..jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 115

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
The first and only version I have of The Four Seasons, by Drottningholm Baroque Ensemble on BIS, so resoundingly trounces every alternate interpretation I have chanced to hear of this piece I wouldn't be bothered getting another version. Tremendous energy and drive, and superb period instrument tonality, when your system is in good shape music doesn't get much better than this ...

Frank

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The first and only version I have of The Four Seasons, by Drottningholm Baroque Ensemble on BIS, so resoundingly trounces every alternate interpretation I have chanced to hear of this piece I wouldn't be bothered getting another version. Tremendous energy and drive, and superb period instrument tonality, when your system is in good shape music doesn't get much better than this ...

Frank

This was a favorite disc of the late Jason Bloom of Apogee speaker fame. I fondly remember talking with him about it.

Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Yep, am just finishing the review up :) The interesting part of the story is that remastering Kevin Gray worked with the Dead way back when and actually mastered the original release of Blues for Allah :)

That's really cool Miles. I was not aware of that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing