What Cartridge Alignment Protractors Are You Using?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi, hope to open up a discussion on cartridge alignment and use of protractors out there in the market. While my own tonearm has only a ruler supplied by ET to align itself, I have a Dennesen Soundtracker which I use to help my friends align their pivoted arm. An opening question would be 'Would different protractors register different null points?' Or to put it in a another way, suppose I have set a null point based on the Dennesen protractor, should or would the null point be different if I counter check it with say, a Feikert proctractor or other protractors?

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI Phil,
Like you I have ET2.5 arm's. Unlike you I have the ET mounting jig which provides alignments for the most important variables. I remember when I bought my first ET and I was dithering about buying the jig. As I remember, it was about $250 and the arm alone was around $1100 in 1990 which means the jig was relatively expensive for my stretched budget. Boy, am I glad I bought it. They are like hens teeth to buy now and ET no longer makes them.

My Graham 2.2 Deluxe on my Thorens TD125 does not need a jig. Bob Graham (warning; I love to drop names!) did a wonderful job designing the alignment tools provided with the arm. Nothing else is needed.

So, I have no need for alignment protractors.

Sparky

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
HI Phil,
Like you I have ET2.5 arm's. Unlike you I have the ET mounting jig which provides alignments for the most important variables. I remember when I bought my first ET and I was dithering about buying the jig. As I remember, it was about $250 and the arm alone was around $1100 in 1990 which means the jig was relatively expensive for my stretched budget. Boy, am I glad I bought it. They are like hens teeth to buy now and ET no longer makes them.

My Graham 2.2 Deluxe on my Thorens TD125 does not need a jig. Bob Graham (warning; I love to drop names!) did a wonderful job designing the alignment tools provided with the arm. Nothing else is needed.

Sparky

There is no better cartridge alignment tool than the Graham!

If only Bob would design ones for other arms. Five mins at worst to align for zenith and overhang. Best of all, it makes setting up those cartridges with round/non symmeterical bodies or short cantilevers a dream. But Bob unfortunately won't.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
HI Phil,

Sparky

Hi Sparky,

Yes, the jig is quite essential for us ET2 users. The dealer who sold me the arm had a jig when he installed my arm.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There is no better cartridge alignment tool than the Graham!

If only Bob would design ones for other arms. Five mins at worst to align for zenith and overhang. Best of all, it makes setting up those cartridges with round/non symmeterical bodies or short cantilevers a dream. But Bob unfortunately won't.

That's true, Myles, I've seen Jack mount his Jade on his Phantom in minutes. Maybe 4. ;)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
With the caveat that I haven't tried all of them out there, I'm a big fan of the MintLP protractor. Really helps to optimize alignment better than any of the other tools I've used. That said, I suspect that this subject is like many in audio; the best tool, is the one that gives each individual the best results.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
With the caveat that I haven't tried all of them out there, I'm a big fan of the MintLP protractor. Really helps to optimize alignment better than any of the other tools I've used. That said, I suspect that this subject is like many in audio; the best tool, is the one that gives each individual the best results.

Hi jacdoc,

I have heard about the Mint LP protractor. A very good friend uses one. And also has a Dr. Feickert protractor previously. The MintLP protractor is made specifically for a particular brand of tonearm and cartridge, he tells me. I asked him how different the null point or other adjustment parameters were between the 2 protractors and he said the settings are not that far off, which I believe, theoretically speaking, should be the case.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Phil,

One minor note, the MintLP is specific to the TT and arm combination; not the cartridge. I've used the Feickert but have had better results with the MintLP. It definitely takes some practice to use. Again, the best tool is the one you get the best results with.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
No one uses the Wally Tracktor?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Phil,

One minor note, the MintLP is specific to the TT and arm combination; not the cartridge. I've used the Feickert but have had better results with the MintLP. It definitely takes some practice to use. Again, the best tool is the one you get the best results with.

Thanks for the correction, Doc. I may have heard it wrong there. My friend is very happy with his MintLp aligning his TNT and Triplanar.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
One thing I forgot to mention; Yip at MintLP is very responsive and easy to worth with...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's true, Myles, I've seen Jack mount his Jade on his Phantom in minutes. Maybe 4. ;)

I have platypus fingers, make it 6 minutes ;) ;) ;)

Swapping wands takes about 3

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Swapping wands takes about 3

Awesome, Jack. ;) And you're the only one who I've seen with a Phantom armwand and cart with protective cover snugged in the left breast pocket of your shirt. Reminds me of 'Gunsmoke'. DRAW !!!! ;)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I used to use the Wally Tractror with my VPI, then Mint and Feikert.

Now I use the wonderful German made Uni Tractor.

the best i have used. I use Daniel's own alignment as it sounds better than Loef, Baer and Steveson to me

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtnrm&1320764329&/Uni-Protractor-Set-tonearm-ali

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I use Dr. Feickert's latest protractor. I like the arm that locks onto the pivot point when I do my overhang and zenith angle adjustments. Haven't gone through the effort to try a Mint. In fact I don't believe mint has one available for the Clearaudio Universal arm.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing