"Serious" use of headphones

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Follow up post...decided after reading about the Grado 4.5m extension cable, Cardas 3.0m extension cable and the Pangea 4.5m extension cable to get the latter...apparently well designed, well built using Cardas wire. It is the store label from Audio Advisor. Sounds great so far ie, no material change vs using just the 3.0m Sennheiser cable alone.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
My home headphone rig consists of the Kennerton Odin planar magnetic headphones and the Chord Hugo2 DAC-amp to drive them.
The Kennerton Odin is some of the best high end headphones you can find even compared to the lastest Stax.
If one day i can afford them i will purchase the Hifiman Susvara, dream headphones.

Thieliste

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
In the seventies, I owned Stax SR-44 electret "earspeakers", which I enjoyed a lot, but used only when I couldn't make noise. When they died in 1993, I replaced them with Grado SR60 headphones. The transition was easy, I don't recall missing the Stax.

The Grado's pretty much lived in a drawer for decades, because a bigger house allowed me to use loudspeakers most any time. I still have them and still use them occasionally, because they sound surprisingly good (better than a friend's SR80e), and they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Also, they're great for travel because I don't worry about loss or damage, and they sound better than my Sennheiser HD1 and Beyerdynamic Byron iems.

In the past couple of years however, headphone listening has become a big part of my music listening. I listen primarily while surfing the net or processing photos, which I do about four hours daily. That's about double the time I spend listening to my stereo system. I started out with low priced gear and ended up with this collection at my headphone Station:

SOtM sMs-200 Neo, Zerozone 50W linear power supply
Oyaide neo d+ Class A USB 2.0 Cable, 5V pin blocked
Schiit Eitr, Ghent Audio USB Y-cable, Topping P50 LPS & iFi iPurifier2
Audiolab 8200CD/DAC
Yorkville Studio One XLR and Cardas Neutral Reference interconnects
Hafler HA15 and Schiit & Asgard 2 headphone amps
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro headphones with Analytical pads
Grado GH4 headphones
QNAP 451+ NAS
Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop via wi-fi

Last edited:

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
My headphone rig is my main system until i can purchase a house where i will have a dedicated listening room to build my speaker system.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
My system is
Wadia S7I
Italian amp Megahertz Guerra,push poll of EL34
Stax 009

Really awesome

Attachments

• L1050680.jpg
    L1050680.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: dan31 and Thieliste

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing