Latest news on Lexicon MP-20 Processor

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ah, what a relief. I don't have to keep a lot of this secret anymore :).
http://www.twice.com/article/472357-Lexicon_Readies_12_4_Channel_Pre_Pro.php

Don't know about you but this is pretty exciting stuff!

-------

Lexicon Readies 12.4-Channel Pre/Pro
By Joseph Palenchar -- TWICE, 8/12/2011

Elkhart, Ind. - The Harman High Performance Audio Video (HPAV) group is building up its Lexicon line with the brand's first home audio product incorporating proprietary QuantumLogic Surround 3D (QLS 3D) post processing, which delivers up to 12.4 channels of surround sound from mono, stereo and multichannel sources.

The technology will be incorporated in a flagship MP-20 surround-sound preamp processor, dubbed a media processor by the company for its inclusion of video-processing technology. It will be displayed at the CEDIA Expo and is scheduled to ship in the first quarter at a price above the original $11,000 to $14,000 price of its predecessor, the MC-12 media controller.

The MC-12 lacked video processing but included HDMI video switching, said marketing manager Jim Garrett.

The Lexicon line has been "spartan lately," and with the MP-20 launch, the company hopes to "reignite passion around the Lexicon brand," he said.

[....]

In the four-rack-tall MP-20, QuantumLogic Surround adds five height channels to typical 7.1-channel home theater systems. The five additional channels include two rear-height channels, a center-channel height speaker above the center-channel speaker, and two front-height channels that double as front-wide channels. For these two channels, consumers would mount one speaker above and to the left of the front main-left speaker and one speaker above and to the right of the front main-right speaker, Garrett said.

Unlike other up-mixing technologies, QLS 3D works in the frequency domain rather than in the time domain, enabling it to up-mix stereo to multiple channels without interfering with the artist's original intent, he said. "We don't add to the original signal," Garrett explained. "We deconstruct the signal by spatial slice and reverb extraction processing to obtain the direct and reverberant components. Then using only those original components, QLS is able to reconstruct a previously unachievable surround experience that remains true to the original recording."

The MP-20 also features the latest Sigma Designs VXP GF9452 video processing in a dual channel configuration with independent signal paths, transcoding and 1080p scaling. The device also supports 3D and 4K video pass-through on all inputs and outputs.

Four independent subwoofer outputs deliver accurate bass response in a wide sweet spot in home theaters with multiple seats.

For the rest of the frequency range, QLS 3D will also widen the sweet spot to cover multiple seating locations, but it can also optimize the sweet spot for specific seating locations, digitally compensate for less-than-ideal speaker locations, and move listeners from an audience location to an on-stage location and back.

The technology's center-focus control anchors dialog to the center channel for listeners who are sitting off-axis to one side of the room or the other.

The MP-20 also includes multiple other features and technologies not available in its predecessor, including native Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master decoding, Dolby Pro Logic IIz front-height-channel post processing, and 1080p video up-scaling of analog and digital video sources.

Other features include 12x2 video matrix switcher with eight HDMI 1.4a inputs with 3D pass-through, two composite-video inputs, and two component-video inputs. In a nod to Blu-ray players' analog-output sunset, the pre-pro features second-zone HDMI with stereo audio and second-zone on-screen display.

The MP-20 also splits HDMI audio from video so users can listen to an audio source instead of a video source's soundtrack while watching the video.

For its user interface, the component features a front-panel video display surrounded by 12 hard keys whose functions change when the displayed menu changes. The only other front-panel buttons are power and a volume knob.

The processor will be demonstrated in HPAV's JBL Synthesis soundroom and in the group's tractor-trailer demo vehicle.

The standard version of Quantum Logic Surround will be demonstrated in Ferrari's new flagship vehicle, the four-seat FF. It comes with a JBL Professional-branded sound system.

Standard QLS up-mixes mono, stereo and multichannel surround to 7.1 channels instead of 12.4 channels. Like QLS 3D, however, standard QLS features center focus control and sweet-spot control.

Roger Dressler

Industry Expert
Aug 4, 2011
Oregon
Unlike other up-mixing technologies, QLS 3D works in the frequency domain rather than in the time domain, enabling it to up-mix stereo to multiple channels without interfering with the artist's original intent, he said.
Unless that’s what the user wants to do. :eek: QLS 3D can “move listeners from an audience location to an on-stage location and back.”

I do not dismiss the claim that >>QLS is able to reconstruct a previously unachievable surround experience that remains true to the original recording<< but that is no doubt in no small part to the skill and philosophy of QLS’ designers and not so much because of operating in the frequency domain. After all, DSX operates in the frequency domain.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
No room correction feature?
Oh, it definitely has room correction. Don't know why it is not emphasized in the PR statements but for sure, it has JBL Synthesis style room eq with support for up to four subs.

Harman has been been making a lot of noise about how other Room correctors are not as good as theirs, let's see what they have to offer.
I am expecting it to be quite good as it is in many respects comparable to JBL Synthesis correction. Its hardware capabilities differ from SDEC (both better and worse) so in balance, it should work similarly.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Expensive unit!
Reminds me of when PS3 was coming out and people were complaining about its high expense. Kutaragi-san, then chief of PS3 says, "well then, people just need work more hours to afford it!"

By the same token, you just need to plant a few thousand trees Bob. :D

PS I like to get one for myself and even I am cringing, had it not been for the trade in program for the Lexicon I already have. Perhaps one way to do this is to buy the old ones on the cheap and trade them in.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
... I am expecting it to be quite good as it is in many respects comparable to JBL Synthesis correction. Its hardware capabilities differ from SDEC (both better and worse) so in balance, it should work similarly.

Aren't the JBL Synthesis electronics just Lexicon "re-labelled" products??

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
I have never had the chance to audition a Lexicon system. I'd be really curious as they transfer a feel of professional super-technological gear. But I've noticed they go on Audiogon at ridiculous prices, I mean their processors are sold at 20% of the original price... Has anyone an idea about it?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Aren't the JBL Synthesis electronics just Lexicon "re-labelled" products??
No. Only the AV processor is. The main part of the system performing Room EQ is based on BSS which is one of the pro divisions of Harman. Harman adds automated room EQ to it and sells it then as JBL Synthesis SDEC series. The BSS/Synthesis system is quite flexible. We have ours running with two expansion cabinets performing EQ on *40* channels concurrently!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have never had the chance to audition a Lexicon system. I'd be really curious as they transfer a feel of professional super-technological gear. But I've noticed they go on Audiogon at ridiculous prices, I mean their processors are sold at 20% of the original price... Has anyone an idea about it?
They sell cheap because they are kind of outdated as far as HDMI support is concerned. They actually work quite well if you feed them PCM over HDMI but people keep thinking they need outboard decoding of new audio codecs so they don't sell as well. As I noted, I expect to see a decent trade in program toward this new processor. So if they are going for 20% of the retail value the trade in program lets you come out ahead.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
No. Only the AV processor is. The main part of the system performing Room EQ is based on BSS which is one of the pro divisions of Harman. Harman adds automated room EQ to it and sells it then as JBL Synthesis SDEC series. The BSS/Synthesis system is quite flexible. We have ours running with two expansion cabinets performing EQ on *40* channels concurrently!

I've just visited the JBL Synthesis website. The systems look impressive (even if the rooms that would be converted to home cinemas through these systems should be even more impressive!). Can't think about the costs of the top systems... brrrrr... :)

The introduction of those EQs seems to add a further level of complexity to the system. As a curiosity, can they work in a full-digital cascade or a double A/D-D/A conversion is required?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If I am not mistaken, you go as high as half a million dollars if you outfit it with Mark Levinson gear and JBL Everest speakers! With active speakers and such the price starts fairly high even for low end but I think you can start with $50K or so. You can read about our implementation of it here: http://www.madronadigital.com/Showroom/HomeTheater.html

The current SDEC products does go in and out of analog. The Lexicon will avoid this since it has HDMI input. You could stay in digital domain but in consumer applications, that gets problematic as it is not possible to get discrete digital over S/PDIF out of just about any consumer gear.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
If I am not mistaken, you go as high as half a million dollars if you outfit it with Mark Levinson gear and JBL Everest speakers! With active speakers and such the price starts fairly high even for low end but I think you can start with $50K or so. You can read about our implementation of it here: http://www.madronadigital.com/Showroom/HomeTheater.html

The current SDEC products does go in and out of analog. The Lexicon will avoid this since it has HDMI input. You could stay in digital domain but in consumer applications, that gets problematic as it is not possible to get discrete digital over S/PDIF out of just about any consumer gear.

That's all! :eek:;)

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
If I am not mistaken, you go as high as half a million dollars if you outfit it with Mark Levinson gear and JBL Everest speakers! With active speakers and such the price starts fairly high even for low end but I think you can start with $50K or so. ...

Wow!
Thanks God I'm interested in 2ch music better than home cinema ;)
Anyway, I wish I could try one of those systems performing some interesting live concerts :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing