Peace.

Ron Party

Banned
    Victoria, Vancouver Island, B.C. - Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Party View Post
    Mercy boucoupe.
    Wellcalm!

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    Adding on.... The we way we configure our combo Audio/Video system is to have a PC music server connected to the processor using USB and then the Blu-ray source via HDMI. That way, you have an optimized path for 2-channel music and with just a flip of the switch, multi-channel capability.
    Do you mean you can input 2ch digital music from a PC/Mac through USB? I thought the USB port on the back is for service use only...

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    With Lexicon MP-20 you will further have the ability of turning that 2-channel source into multi-channel using QuantumLogic.
    This could be cool, but also somehow "not-orthodox"
    Let's say that this pre-pro would be a real champion for music if, in addition to the capability to work as a high-performance DAC, DRC and pre, it displayed also a full analog high quality path to preamplify analog sources
    All the best,

Valerio

Quote Originally Posted by docvale View Post
    Do you mean you can input 2ch digital music from a PC/Mac through USB? I thought the USB port on the back is for service use only...
    Amir means a USB>S/PDIF converter.
    Peace.

Ron Party

Banned
    Oui!

Site Founder And Administrator amirm's Avatar
    Well, CES was great other than this really, really bummer news. Lexicon MP-20 is no more! Due to some critical part issues that were not going to be available much longer, the product is discontinued and MP-20 will not be produced .

There is significant hope that the audio innovations there find life elsewhere. Where and how, I can't say. But the hope is there. Keeping fingers crossed.

For now, if you want its room correction, JBL Synthesis SDEC-4500 does the job (and then some). I am hoping they implement QLS there so that at least we have a pro solution while we wait for a consumer version.

Edit: I corrected the statement that the "project is shut down." It is not shut down but MP-20 will not be produced.
    Amir
    Founder, Madrona Digital Audio, Video, Home Automation
    Contributing Editor, Widescreen Review Magazine

Wow, this is disappointing. With all the arguments of this processor or that room correction being better than the others, I lost interest after hearing the MP20 demo at Cedia Among good ones, they're basically all more alike than different IMO. But QLS was something entirely new and entirely captivating based on the demo.

Amir, you might know better than I but after all the development that went into the MP20, is it not surprising that some parts issues totally derailed it? Guess it depends on the specific parts but wouldn't you think some workaround/re-engineering be possible in a cost-worthwhile way given the development costs?
    -- Bob

Industry participation disclosure: dealer for Paradigm, Anthem, NAD, Scaena, The Clue loudspeaker, Marantz, AMR/iFi, DSPeaker (anti-mode 2.0, etc), Supra Cables, Control4, URC. www.outreachav.com

Banned
    Bummer!

Site Founder And Administrator amirm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rblnr View Post
    Amir, you might know better than I but after all the development that went into the MP20, is it not surprising that some parts issues totally derailed it?
    Not surprising at all as I know the specifics of what caused the issue but don't have permission to disclose it . I will provide some more detail as I am able. For now, it most definitely was parts availability and critical ones that are not interchangeable.

Guess it depends on the specific parts but wouldn't you think some workaround/re-engineering be possible in a cost-worthwhile way given the development costs?
    Well, anything is possible if you throw enough money at it . The question is whether it makes economic sense. Today's VLSIs are pretty function specific and it is not at all easy to change them with new parts. Harman has spent millions of dollars developing MP-20 until now. So the decision to not move forward must have been a tough one and all the issues like this considered.

Let's stand by a bit and see what develops out of this. They realize as we all do that there is a lot of great technology here that they need to bring to market in some manner.
    Amir
    Founder, Madrona Digital Audio, Video, Home Automation
    Contributing Editor, Widescreen Review Magazine

This really, really, really sucks. So the only two high end SSP products with REAL (time based) room correction that are anywhere near I price I could consider are Theta (maybe available in about 300 years based on recent history using Dirac Live) and the AP20i from Datasat (also using Dirac Live). And since Datsat is a new company in a crappy economy and a very small niche market, what are the chances for long term stability? That, in fact, one of the key reasons I had so much interest in the Lexicon piece (in addition to the QLS logic I heard as CEDIA) since Harman has reasonably deep pockets.

I am befuddled. It appears that I might be keeping my Integra a lot longer!!!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast