Amir Joins the club. Finally!

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Wonder what shape I will be in a year from now. I would be typing backward probably. :D

BTW guys, where do you get blank tapes?

Amirm--If you looking for blank tapes for recording , the best sounding is Quantegy/Ampex GP9 or 499. NOS only, still in production is RMGI SN900 is the only choice, ATR also in production too but it sound more like digital in analog recording
tony ma

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Bruce. So the Oreganians are into tape sale and we are not? Didn't know you all were meeting at Mike's!

Tony, the tape is to just screw around with the deck, nothing critical. What is the cost differential between RMGI and Ampex blanks?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Thanks Bruce. So the Oreganians are into tape sale and we are not? Didn't know you all were meeting at Mike's!

Tony, the tape is to just screw around with the deck, nothing critical. What is the cost differential between RMGI and Ampex blanks?

The cost differential is only a few bucks/reel. If you need some tape to play around with, I have extra SM911 that I'm not going to use and will sell for $40/reel.

What I have found is generally, the RMGI sounds better on Studer machines and the ATR sounds better on Ampex machines. I tried both on my Otari and again preferred RMGI. I don't have a Technics rig to try on, but my friend Andrew loves RMGI on his Technics/Paravicini machine.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada

Amirm, price will depend on quantity, pancake in case is around $40/roll + metal under $20/each, some NOS GP9 or 499 in Ebay is around $70 up and down, for our Studer A80RC GP9/499 is the best for live recording and dubbing, in compare the quality between master and dub, GP9/499 only down 5% but SN900 is about 15%, ATR the wost 35%
tony ma

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Amirm, price will depend on quantity, pancake in case is around $40/roll + metal under $20/each, some NOS GP9 or 499 in Ebay is around $70 up and down, for our Studer A80RC GP9/499 is the best for live recording and dubbing, in compare the quality between master and dub, GP9/499 only down 5% but SN900 is about 15%, ATR the wost 35%
tony ma

For our studio, we'd never use NOS tape. I used lots of GP9/499/456 tape back in the day, but not now.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Tony,

Studer A80RC GP9/499 is the best for live recording and dubbing, in compare the quality between master and dub, GP9/499 only down 5% but SN900 is about 15%, ATR the wost 35%
tony ma

An e-mail exchange with a London-based Studer tech underscores your endorsement of Quantey GP9 for A80RC Mk II's.

My A820 is biased for SM900 and ATR :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing