Amir Joins the club. Finally!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes it is true. Some of you may have seen me put up a mark levinson CD player up for sale. When Ki expressed interest, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to use that to get into this part of the hobby. I suggested a swap for a deck and Ki agreed. Today we did the exchange for an Otari MKIII.

Ki was kind enough to bundle a tape with it. We hooked it up to our Mark Levinson/Revel gear and my, what sound. Everyone was amazed at work at the fidelity of what we ere hearing. I must say, it has been 30+ years since I have been this excited about an audio equipment purchase. The sound combined with those wheels turning and meters bouncing is mesmerizing.

Of course, now we have to figure out how to explain that a company called "Madrona Digital" has analog tape in it. :D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes it is true. Some of you may have seen me put up a mark levinson CD player up for sale. When Ki expressed interest, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to use that to get into this part of the hobby. I suggested a swap for a deck and Ki agreed. Today we did the exchange for an Otari MKIII.

Ki was kind enough to bundle a tape with it. We hooked it up to our Mark Levinson/Revel gear and my, what sound. Everyone was amazed at work at the fidelity of what we ere hearing. I must say, it has been 30+ years since I have been this excited about an audio equipment purchase. The sound combined with those wheels turning and meters bouncing is mesmerizing.

Of course, now we have to figure out how to explain that a company called "Madrona Digital" has analog tape in it. :D

Did Ki weave any of his magic on the deck? :)

Congrats and as they say, once you've heard tape, there's no going back :) Haven't stopped playing my deck since Charlie put the new heads in. What has been shocking is just how much bass was left off records, and esp. rock recordings.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Amir Congrats!! Soon to be "Madrona Digital and Tape":):)

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Amir-

Looks like you're off to a very good start, picking up a nice machine from a knowledgeable tape enthusiast. But be careful, these little machines are evil...they tend to multiply.......

Tom

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Congrats Amir. I was wondering if you were going to pull the trigger on a tape deck. Did hearing tape at MikeL's place help push you over the edge?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks guys. No, it wasn't ML's session. I thought about getting one when I heard Steve's a year ago. The real reasons are much deeper than that though. When I was in my teens, I got into hifi and my dream was to get a reel to reel. I pestered my Dad forever but he would not give me $1,000 to buy a deck then (imagine that! :) ). We are talking 1975 dollars here. So my brother and I searched and found a low-end Akai I think. It never sounded as good as my friend's Sony. Fast forward 30-40 years later and here I am with the money but couldn't find the right deck to get. Searched on ebay for months and tried to buy a few but didn't work out. Tried to import one from UK even but that was a dead end too. Then came this chance. Having looked at the bigger machines I did not expect this one to sound this good but it did.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That is the tough part :). Fortunately I am close to a bunch of tape addicts and I hope they can guide me. :D

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Change the name to Madrona Media. It has a nice ring to it. :) I miss tape. I owned a big Teac 3440 for many years. I love the meters, the big aluminum reels and, at 15 ips, the sound. To me, that's analog.

Tim

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hahaha

Yes it is true...Of course, now we have to figure out how to explain that a company called "Madrona Digital" has analog tape in it. :D

I fully expect a clever solution, Amir ;)
Seriously -- CONGRATS :D

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
You can always record some from LPs and CDs. :)

Or from Internet Streaming? Or... :D

You laugh, but I suspect the best way to create multiple copies of a great-sounding tape and preserve its magic would be to make a digital file of the closest thing you can get to the original master, then copy multiple tapes from there. Not to open the can, but that would make a very interesting blind listening test.

Tim

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
You can always record some from LPs and CDs. :)

Or from Internet Streaming? Or... :D

Back in 60 to 70, we put a R2R in our system, mainly for LP's or radio program's recording. saving money from copy right, sound quality can't be better than the original, but today copy right's value is not same as before and can be much easier in digital recording, those who want to step in again in R2R is looking for the highest sound quality and the machines are in pro or semi pro too, so the source has to be from master tape ( make live record by ourselves) or master dub to show the different quality of analog sound, otherwise it is wast to step in
tony ma

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Welcome to the dark side Amir!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome to the dark side Amir!
I rather think it is the "light" side. :D

BTW, the tape I have is the second generation from master tape. I need to hit Bruce B to hear more of the original masters (this tape was not from him).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing