Magnepan 'Desktop' Speakers

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Caught this on another site; nothing on the Magnepan website as of last night. Not sure how they will do; pretty pricey and most folk are going to expect much more bass than they are likely to provide from the little "sub". Be interesting to see if music hobbyists pick up on them, but they will likely stick with more main-stream monitors. Still, who knows? Maybe it will be a winner -- just hope they can ship them!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Caught this on another site; nothing on the Magnepan website as of last night. Not sure how they will do; pretty pricey and most folk are going to expect much more bass than they are likely to provide from the little "sub". Be interesting to see if music hobbyists pick up on them, but they will likely stick with more main-stream monitors. Still, who knows? Maybe it will be a winner -- just hope they can ship them!

That's true, Don. It's a bit pricey a $1500. At first I thought it was supposed to be a PC speaker as they were placed on a table. But for real world listening, I think I'd still go with the 1.7s for a little more money.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's what I thought too Phil.

These little guys are $1500 and the 1.7's are $1999

Exactly, Steve. And I wonder if they should be put in stands as they are too short if one does not want to see a table in the soundstage area.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
A curious offering to be sure. I would have to say it appears to be a niche speaker. One of the things that I'm so pleased with the 1.7's is how large, complete and enveloping the soundstage is. Forgiving too. These mini's seem to be a bit opposite to that characteristic, which I why I used the term "niche." Probably great in the right application.

I have this mental picture of the small Manhattan or Hong Kong studio. 300 to 400 square feet which includes the facilities and kitchen. Then again, maybe I'm wrong, could be the perfect college dorm room speaker.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
At $1500, they have a lot of very formidable desktop competition, but nothing sounds like a panel...

Tim

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Audio Dimensions in Royal Oak, Michigan now has the Mini's (with bass panel). I listened to them today..............OUTSTANDING!

The song Temptation by Holly Cole was more detailed, and more clear (unfair to say delicate) than any other system I've ever heard this track on. I heard a different song on the new 3.7's in the same room (also a fine addition to the line-up), the Mini's are very intimate, and they project without a hint of strain.

I listened in the nearfield as they are intended to be heard (three or four feet away), although farther back (eight feet) they gave little to nothing away to the 1.7's.

Sitting on the table 1/3 of the way into the room I stood just about over them. Being very directive in sound dispersion pattern it should have sounded flat, it did not. It was more like the best headphones ever.

The choice is simple, if you have a small room in which you spend a lot of time in (study or computer room), these are the speakers for you.

If you have a medium sized room and the floor space, get the 1.7's.

If you have a dedicated listening room, get the 3.7's..........you cannot go wrong.

The Mini's are awesome and in a word; intimate.

The speakers if back-lit let some light though the tweeter area, which is pretty cool. The finish quality is top notch, and very simple in look.

A full page ad is in the current/next issue of The Absolute Sound.

Last edited:

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Reading some of the comments so far from people who've experienced them, and between the lines, I would definitely say these would be giant-killers. With decent electronics driving them, and the panels stabilised to the highest level, they would be able to create mammoth soundstages, etc, etc.

Frank

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing