Your Worst CD Recordings ...

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I've been leading with my chin for a while now, claiming that even "bad" recordings can sound good if a system is brought up to a certain of performance. And this is without "dumbing" down or softening the playback.

In that context, I'm wondering what CDs people have which they consider to be the worst of the worst, the most execrable, not because of the quality of musicianship or "value" of the music in itself, but because of sloppy, poorly executed, indifferent, or just downright lousy recording techniques and equipment, or terrible transfers from another medium. And, most importantly, why? Why do you consider them to be really, really bad?

As well as anything else, this will give me some more yardsticks, some other material to play with to know that I'm on the right track in sorting out playback issues ...

Frank

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I've been leading with my chin for a while now, claiming that even "bad" recordings can sound good if a system is brought up to a certain of performance. And this is without "dumbing" down or softening the playback.

In that context, I'm wondering what CDs people have which they consider to be the worst of the worst, the most execrable, not because of the quality of musicianship or "value" of the music in itself, but because of sloppy, poorly executed, indifferent, or just downright lousy recording techniques and equipment, or terrible transfers from another medium. And, most importantly, why? Why do you consider them to be really, really bad?

As well as anything else, this will give me some more yardsticks, some other material to play with to know that I'm on the right track in sorting out playback issues ...

Frank

Shostakovitch's 5th with Bernstein on CBS. Atrocious both on the LP and CD. In fact when playing the LP, had to check the turntable speed since it sounded like it was turning at the wrong speed. Turned out had no harmonic overtones. Too bad since Bernstein owns Shostakovitch :(

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Shostakovitch's 5th with Bernstein on CBS. Atrocious both on the LP and CD. In fact when playing the LP, had to check the turntable speed since it sounded like it was turning at the wrong speed. Turned out had no harmonic overtones. Too bad since Bernstein owns Shostakovitch :(
Is that the 1979, Tokyo with the New York Philharmonic account?

Frank

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
This is a wide open question. Through our distribution service we offer 1,000s of different metal titles. The vast majority present beyond awful, brickwalled to death sound. It would be too hard to pick the worst - there are too many to choose from.

Ken Golden

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Is that the 1979, Tokyo with the New York Philharmonic account?

Frank

Is with the NY Philharmonic but not the Tokyo concert.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Sure do love the music though!

that's the shame---one of the best rock albums ever, but the recording is total shite. all mids, no low end, etc. designed for tape players i guess.

Van Halen "Van Halen" sucks too from a similar day and age---and the remasters still can't do it justice either.

JasonI

Dec 3, 2010
If by worst, you mean the most disappointing because the music is otherwise extremely enjoyable, I'll say most of Beck's stuff. It's pretty hard to enjoy his one of a kind music clipped and cut off as it is.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
If by worst, you mean the most disappointing because the music is otherwise extremely enjoyable, I'll say most of Beck's stuff. It's pretty hard to enjoy his one of a kind music clipped and cut off as it is.

I get so confused these days. Are you referring to Beck, period, or Beck, Jeff?

Tim

JasonI

Dec 3, 2010
I get so confused these days. Are you referring to Beck, period, or Beck, Jeff?

Tim
Beck of Loser fame. The Scientologist.

See how out of touch I am? I thought he was pretty popular. And a keyboard player.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Magic by Bruce Springsteen. Horrible.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Sea Change is terrific.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I found it on the highway quite a while back. I played it and then tossed it back on the highway!

I don't remember what it was, I just got rid of it (it was that bad!).

Last edited:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Shostakovitch's 5th with Bernstein on CBS. Atrocious both on the LP and CD. In fact when playing the LP, had to check the turntable speed since it sounded like it was turning at the wrong speed.

Man, that IS bad :eek:

JasonI

Dec 3, 2010
Beck of Loser fame. The Scientologist.

See how out of touch I am? I thought he was pretty popular. And a keyboard player.

Tim

Last edited by Phelonious Ponk; Yesterday at 08:19 PM.

How did this happen?

Edit: Oh, I see. You're a mod.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
One of my favorite releases of 2010 was Phosphorscent's "Taking It Easy". A really bad sounding CD but they managed to make it sound even worse on the vinyl release. Really a superhuman effort on someone's part.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Now wasn't there a song way back when along those lines, hmmm ...???

Frank

"I'm not a mod, or a rocker. I'm a mocker." -- paraphrased by poor memory, no doubt, but can anyone tell me the source?

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing